A couple of rules added

Please Read Forum Rules. Won't take too long.
matt
Answers: 18

A couple of rules added

Unread post by matt »

I had to add a rule for new users. New users have to have their first 2 posts approved by a moderator or admin. I tried going without this, just using the registration questions as a filter for spammers, but that didn't work (got spammed). So we have to add this layer to filter out loser spammers with nothing better to do with their time than clutter things up.

Plus, until you get past those 2 first posts, you won't be able to see the off-topic areas, and there are a few other features that you can't use, such as using the "Best Answer" feature. This is mostly to encourage new registrants to post something relevant.
matt

Re: A couple of rules added

Unread post by matt »

I should mention how this works, some of this is new. When you first sign up for the forum you have to answer the stupid questions, and maybe click a link sent to your email address. Then you are put into a group called "newly registered users". This group has limited capabilities, there are some things you can't see or do until you get out of this group. You are only in this group until your 2nd post gets approved. This is part of the reason I'm encouraging new members to post something relevant. Right now we have 78 people (out of ~400) in this group.

If I suspect a new registrant is not really here for the CAD, I'll just delete them straight away. There are several ways I make that decision, but it's usually pretty obvious who's here for the right or wrong reasons. I'm sure a few still get through, although the most recent spam incident was because I relaxed a couple rules just a little bit. If I just let all the people who are not here for CAD sign up, we'd have a member list of way over 1000. I'm a member of other forums that let everyone through, and they have a ridiculous number of members, but only a fraction participate or even log into the site.

If you don't like being on the Newly Registered Users list, let me know by posting two messages that aren't about erectile dysfunction products or gambling sites, and I'll put you through immediately. :D
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@matt You can ask a question, what does CAD stand for?
  1. Computer Aided Design
  2. Computer Aided Drafting
  3. Crashes Are Daily
  4. Cynical Apathetic Designers
  5. All of the above
Jason
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

"D" for Dysfunction? (choosing "E" would be just wrong.)
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
geekmidget
Answers: 0

Unread post by geekmidget »

matt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:26 am I had to add a rule for new users. New users have to have their first 2 posts approved by a moderator or admin. I tried going without this, just using the registration questions as a filter for spammers, but that didn't work (got spammed). So we have to add this layer to filter out loser spammers with nothing better to do with their time than clutter things up.
If I may ask for clarification here. Do you mean even as a newcomer to the forum with a simple doubt, I must make at least two posts before being approved? Because I posted a question more than 24h ago and it still hasn't been approved, so now I am not sure if I understood this rule correctly (what I had interpreted before was that first two posts would be moderated).
matt

Unread post by matt »

geekmidget wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:18 pm If I may ask for clarification here. Do you mean even as a newcomer to the forum with a simple doubt, I must make at least two posts before being approved? Because I posted a question more than 24h ago and it still hasn't been approved, so now I am not sure if I understood this rule correctly (what I had interpreted before was that first two posts would be moderated).
I do from time to time step away from the keyboard. Sorry for the delay.

You have to have two posts approved before you can post without approval. Spam and AI crap is a bigger problem than it should be, and we have to sort it all out to keep the site relevant. I'm the one who does the approval, but I'm not a bot, so I do things like eat, sleep, work, take vacations, etc...
geekmidget
Answers: 0

Unread post by geekmidget »

matt wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:10 pmI'm the one who does the approval, but I'm not a bot, so I do things like eat, sleep, work, take vacations, etc...
Of course, we are only humans. It's as I had first interpreted then, newcomers join with a restricted privileges group and after a couple of moderated posts pass to the normal privileges group, or something like this. It actually makes a lot of sense, I used to be administrator for a while of a forum where I had to do something like this.