Current Hourly Rate of Freelance CAD Drafters?

List your openings or availability here
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

Current Hourly Rate of Freelance CAD Drafters?

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

I am a Mecahnical Engineer and SolidWorks Designer with my own freelancing business. I do 3D Modeling, CAD Work and Product Design.

Recently I got an offer to do more of a CAD Drafter role.

It would solely be doing things like ECO's, BOM Changes in the MRP system, and updating all the drawings accordingly.
No actual design work.

It's a contract role with no benefits.
Meaning no health insurance, paid time off, 401k, etc.

What would be a typical hourly rate for something like that here in the US?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Current Hourly Rate of Freelance CAD Drafters?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Cbecks Design wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:26 pm I am a Mecahnical Engineer and SolidWorks Designer with my own freelancing business. I do 3D Modeling, CAD Work and Product Design.

Recently I got an offer to do more of a CAD Drafter role.

It would solely be doing things like ECO's, BOM Changes in the MRP system, and updating all the drawings accordingly.
No actual design work.

It's a contract role with no benefits.
Meaning no health insurance, paid time off, 401k, etc.

What would be a typical hourly rate for something like that here in the US?
I'm not from the U.S. but I'm pretty sure it will vary a lot depending on where in the US it would be.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 21

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I wouldn't touch it for less than $50.00 per hour (unless I was hungry).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Cbecks Design

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:36 pm I wouldn't touch it for less than $50.00 per hour (unless I was hungry).
Thanks Glenn. Does anybody else have any data on this?
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

I do more freelance programming for PDM and Solidworks so my point of reference is a bit different, especially when I work on the order of weeks for custom projects. With that said, I agree with Glenn.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

It depends on if you want to do the work or not. As a full time job, that's probably a 25-30$/hr gig, but as a contractor, you have to charge more than that. $50/hr might be high if you're not doing any design. I would get $75-100 for doing surfacing, plastics and mold work. So I'd guess in the $40/hr range would be in the range.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Depends if you are hiring a contractor direct vs going through a contract company. The latter is probably roughly $50-$70 an hour but the company gets some cut of that. Also depends on how hard the drafting/modeling work is. Some parts and small assemblies are fairly easy to work with. But working on large complex assemblies with complicated structures might warrant a little more.
Jason
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

If I were to go into business for myself, for design work, I would be charging $100/hour minimum.

For drafting work that someone else designed, I would almost prefer to do it by the job. But $50 to $75/hour would be reasonable.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:36 pm I wouldn't touch it for less than $50.00 per hour (unless I was hungry).
Got it. So, best to hire @Glenn Schroeder before lunch? Probably shouldn't post that on the internet...just sayin'...
Cbecks Design

matt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:57 am It depends on if you want to do the work or not. As a full time job, that's probably a 25-30$/hr gig, but as a contractor, you have to charge more than that. $50/hr might be high if you're not doing any design. I would get $75-100 for doing surfacing, plastics and mold work. So I'd guess in the $40/hr range would be in the range.
Great insights. Thanks Matt. Yeah, $25-$30 with benefits at full time job. Benefits seem to add around an extra 50% to the hourly rate (roughly) from what I've seen. So $37.50-$45 might be about right for a contract drafter not getting benefits, if that contractor gets to use the company's computer and software. If contractor is providing computer and software, then the rate would go up a bit, probably to the $50 Glenn mentioned or a bit north of there.
Cbecks Design

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:08 pm Depends if you are hiring a contractor direct vs going through a contract company. The latter is probably roughly $50-$70 an hour but the company gets some cut of that. Also depends on how hard the drafting/modeling work is. Some parts and small assemblies are fairly easy to work with. But working on large complex assemblies with complicated structures might warrant a little more.
Excellent point. Yes. In this case, it's a direct role, not through an agency.
Cbecks Design

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:42 pm If I were to go into business for myself, for design work, I would be charging $100/hour minimum.

For drafting work that someone else designed, I would almost prefer to do it by the job. But $50 to $75/hour would be reasonable.
Thanks Dan. That's what I usually do - roll the 2D CAD work into the whole design project. This job is strictly drafting though. That's why I was caught off guard by the lower rate. But it seems the rate is in alignment with market rates (which I'm learning here in this thread).
jcapriotti

Honestly I've seen the rates for drafting work stagnate in the US. 20 years ago I charged $30-$50 per hour depending on the work complexity. Today it's much the same, I think because there is a lot of offshore competition from places that will do the work at $10-$15 per hour.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:00 pm Got it. So, best to hire @Glenn Schroeder before lunch? Probably shouldn't post that on the internet...just sayin'...
Good luck with that. I have a big breakfast taco first thing every morning so I don't need much lunch.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

How much should you charge to do someone's homework?

viewtopic.php?t=2531
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:41 am How much should you charge to do someone's homework?

viewtopic.php?t=2531
A = $100 per hour
B = $75 per hour
C = $50 per hour
D = $25 per hour
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:15 am A = $100 per hour
B = $75 per hour
C = $50 per hour
D = $25 per hour
F = free

SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

Cbecks Design wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:12 pm Great insights. Thanks Matt. Yeah, $25-$30 with benefits at full time job. Benefits seem to add around an extra 50% to the hourly rate (roughly) from what I've seen. So $37.50-$45 might be about right for a contract drafter not getting benefits, if that contractor gets to use the company's computer and software. If contractor is providing computer and software, then the rate would go up a bit, probably to the $50 Glenn mentioned or a bit north of there.
I've done some freelance work in the past, and I would typically add 50% above what I would have expected to be paid if you were to do the work as a full-time employee with benefits. I guess you're in the right ballpark with your assessment.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Since doing the drafting side is kind of boring and tedious I would jack the price up some and feel better if I got it, no loss if I didn't.
jcapriotti

TTevolve wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:45 am Since doing the drafting side is kind of boring and tedious I would jack the price up some and feel better if I got it, no loss if I didn't.
Compared to my current line of work which is more data management related, solving modeling issues, and meetings all day, any drafting work I get is a nice break and cathartic even. I just put on some heavy metal and blast through a bunch of models and drawings for a few hours without having to think so much.
Jason
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am Compared to my current line of work which is more data management related, solving modeling issues, and meetings all day, any drafting work I get is a nice break and cathartic even. I just put on some heavy metal and blast through a bunch of models and drawings for a few hours without having to think so much.
I'm kind of lucky, most of our stuff is custom, so I get to work on modeling new parts/designs on a regular basis. I have to do the detail work though as well since we are a small engineering group, but it's not to bad. I do have my own office, so I can put on the tunes no matter what I am doing! :-)
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

DamBlosq wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:12 pm This topic is different, depending on the project and company but you shouldn't work for less than 7-8$ an hour.
Um, where are you from?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Clearly not from the UAW.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

CASH (under the table) rate is alway less than a 1099 rate
Glenn Schroeder

len_1962 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:52 pm CASH (under the table) rate is alway less than a 1099 rate
Not me. I'm too pretty to go to jail.

RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Here in the UK I have noticed this year (probably started last year) that companies are really trying to push the rate (£$) down when they put work out.

Many companies seem overstaffed, scared they can't get new staff later with the right knowledge.
The bean counters seem to have imposed absolute last resort for design work being put out.
Companies seem to want less - don't do any 2D only 3D models.

While sure I'm ticking over work wise I would not advise people to be freelance Design Engineer's in the UK in the current climate. Pre 2020 sure but right now I wouldn't.
augustine.an

Unread post by augustine.an »

Hello, I also have a question if thats ok?
I am here in the UK and about to start my Freelance Product Design business.
The most common design ill be working on are bespoke cycle shelters, bin shelters usually with timber cladding, mesh cladding, green roof.
What should be the basis of quoting the customer?

Thank you
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

augustine.an wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:55 pm Hello, I also have a question if thats ok?
I am here in the UK and about to start my Freelance Product Design business.
The most common design ill be working on are bespoke cycle shelters, bin shelters usually with timber cladding, mesh cladding, green roof.
What should be the basis of quoting the customer?

Thank you
The basis of the quoting should be upon your encountered cost. In other words, the time you spend, material cost if you are handling that, and things of that nature including but not limited to the cost to operate.