3D Scanner Recommendation?

3D scanning hardware, software, and other reverse engineering tools
zwei
Answers: 18

3D Scanner Recommendation?

Unread post by zwei »

I are considering to purchase a 3D Scanner for reverse engineering and inspection

Do anyone have any recommendation? Anything that i should look out for when choosing a 3D Scanner?

PS: I am currently looking at EinScan which seem to be rather flexible (support fixed and portable scannin)
https://www.einscan.com/handheld-3d-sca ... an-pro-2x/
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Re: 3D Scanner Recommendation?

Unread post by Lucas »

I just finished the basic training with a Faro Quantum Max that my company acquired this week.

Guess if you want to do some serious inspection you might need a device that can measure with a contact probe too.

(that's all I got for now, sorry lol)
m2shell
Answers: 0

Unread post by m2shell »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 am I are considering to purchase a 3D Scanner for reverse engineering and inspection

Do anyone have any recommendation? Anything that i should look out for when choosing a 3D Scanner?

PS: I am currently looking at EinScan which seem to be rather flexible (support fixed and portable scannin)
https://www.einscan.com/handheld-3d-sca ... an-pro-2x/
I've put some time into the Einscan Pro Plus (maybe about 5yrs old). It is quite good - and the software, though clunky, is pretty easy to use and flexible. I had a hard time getting the best accuracy from the unit I had but the newer ones (Pro 2X) look to have better accuracy.

I've never used it for "technical" scanning though. I definitely recommend you get one that comes with a turntable and a tripod for the scanner unit. The one I used is hand-held, and for smaller items having a fixed unit would be essential.
GaretWill
Answers: 0

Unread post by GaretWill »

What is the average size you scan? Portable ones are really handy, I agree. Never tried Einscan, I use Artec Space Spider and scan objects mostly 15/40 cm in diameter. The results are really fine. It's specs are a bit better then Einscan, but If they suits your needs I think that would be a good choice.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Something that was in my mail, an interesting option - https://peel-3d.com/peel3cad
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Where I work we build shears for cutting metal roofing panels (https://dyna-cut.com/) and the shears that go to the roll forming shops we need to design the blade set specifically to their roll former to achieve a satisfactory cut.
Any recommendations on what device to use to reverse engineer a profile like this?
IMG_0275.JPG
I need to end up with a sketch like this.
1710442462069.jpg
It's about 38" wide overall. It needs to be accurate to at least +-0.01"
Is a 3D scanner a good option for this application? Or would I be better off using a CMM?
We are currently doing it all manually.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

They don't have drawing of their roller?
I did one 20 years ago for roof shingles.
Need to know roller diameter.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am They don't have drawing of their roller?
I did one 20 years ago for roof shingles.
Need to know roller diameter.
Some of them have drawings of what the roll former is supposed to produce but the roll former doesn't actually produce exactly what the print specifies due to the placement of the rollers, the wear on the rollers, etc.
Frederick_Law

3D scan will give you a mesh which you can't fold or unfold.
Or make any changes.

Probably better to manual measure and sketch.

Actually all you need is the profile.
2D laser profile:
https://www.keyence.com/ss/products/mea ... local=cbgt

CMM could work with a small probe.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 am 3D scan will give you a mesh which you can't fold or unfold.
Or make any changes.

Probably better to manual measure and sketch.

Actually all you need is the profile.
2D laser profile:
https://www.keyence.com/ss/products/mea ... local=cbgt

CMM could work with a small probe.
Thanks for the info.

I don't need to fold or unfold anything. I just need a cross section. How easy is to get a cross section from mesh data?

That looks like a great option but I talked with Keyence and the problem is it doesn't output CAD data it just outputs values so that won't speed up the process much if anything.

Can a CMM output CAD data or just values?
Frederick_Law

All you need is X and Y value. X along length on profile. Y on up and down of profile.
Easy to import with macro into CAD and make polyline. Add smoothing algorism. It can go straight to laser cut.

https://lase-solutions.com/products/dis ... lack-line/
Sensor with 0.01mm resolution.
Put it on a linear drive. Measure every 0.1mm (or 0.01mm) move.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

In my experience wtih CMM and Faro/Romer arm they will generate reference geometry for you. You tell it what you are measuring, a plane, or a line that crosses that plane. It is also possible to measure a spline, but I think that is what you would get, which probably isn't as useful for the measurements you want to take.

If this is only something you do once in a while, it might be worth hiring it out. CMM's and the associated software aren't cheap. We were demoed a combination white light / lidar scanner that would give you a dimensioned solid. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was high 5 figures. Generating a point cloud is cheaper, but not nearly as usable. (At least for those of us who don't live in that world.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Jaylin Hochstetler

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:54 am All you need is X and Y value. X along length on profile. Y on up and down of profile.
Easy to import with macro into CAD and make polyline. Add smoothing algorism. It can go straight to laser cut.

https://lase-solutions.com/products/dis ... lack-line/
Sensor with 0.01mm resolution.
Put it on a linear drive. Measure every 0.1mm (or 0.01mm) move.
It look like that might be a good solution. Thanks.
Jaylin Hochstetler

I found this company https://www.acuitylaser.com/product/las ... r-scanner/ that makes a laser that would get the entire profile in one snapshot. It would output the x and y values and then i would have to import that into CAD via macro. But it's $18000. I'm thinking we're gonna be best off picking up a used CMM somewhere. Then I import the x/y values as sketch points via macro. Then I essentially connect the dots with lines/arcs.

I was hoping I could find a solution that would give me the profile in CAD data but it doesn't look like there's anything like that out there like that except a 3d scanner, which i think will have a lot of post-processing in order to get a profile.
Frederick_Law

Do you really need a clean CAD profile?
I guess you just Laser/Plasma/Waterjet your blade.
So as long as you get a scanned profile that can be cut, you're good.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:42 pm Do you really need a clean CAD profile?
I guess you just Laser/Plasma/Waterjet your blade.
So as long as you get a scanned profile that can be cut, you're good.
The only reason I need a clean CAD profile is for designing the bottom blade. The bottom blade is inverted (mirrored) from the top blade and then we raise the middle of the profile creating a angled blade. Then I have to go along and move things so they align with the top blade.
They are then cut with a wire edm.
image.png
Jaylin Hochstetler

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:59 am I found this company https://www.acuitylaser.com/product/las ... r-scanner/ that makes a laser that would get the entire profile in one snapshot. It would output the x and y values and then i would have to import that into CAD via macro. But it's $18000. I'm thinking we're gonna be best off picking up a used CMM somewhere. Then I import the x/y values as sketch points via macro. Then I essentially connect the dots with lines/arcs.

I was hoping I could find a solution that would give me the profile in CAD data but it doesn't look like there's anything like that out there like that except a 3d scanner, which i think will have a lot of post-processing in order to get a profile.
I'm discovering it's very hard to find a decent CMM for less $18000. I'm going to have a company 3d scan a panel and see how it turns out.