Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 21

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

CarrieIves wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm We had the opportunity to head a few hours south this weekend and enjoy the Texas Hill Country. It always surprises me how much a few hours drive can make in what season you are in. Our bluebonnets are just starting here in the Dallas area, but the ones down near Fredericksburg, TX are well are their way. So, for all y'all up north, a bit of hope. Spring is coming.

The picture shows bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush (orange). Texas is proud of our bluebonnets. They are a lupine, but these particular species are only found in Texas or the edges of the neighboring states.
They're at the peak bloom here, so of course people are pulling off the road (and sometimes not all the way off the road) so they can sit in the middle of them and take pictures.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

CarrieIves wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm We had the opportunity to head a few hours south this weekend and enjoy the Texas Hill Country. It always surprises me how much a few hours drive can make in what season you are in. Our bluebonnets are just starting here in the Dallas area, but the ones down near Fredericksburg, TX are well are their way. So, for all y'all up north, a bit of hope. Spring is coming.

The picture shows bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush (orange). Texas is proud of our bluebonnets. They are a lupine, but these particular species are only found in Texas or the edges of the neighboring states.
Eagerly awaiting spring. We had another 10 inches of snow this weekend to remind us that it's not quite over. Thanks for the share Carrie, have a great week :P Bluebonnets remind me of lavender in terms of flower
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

We are going to be in that area in a couple of weeks, thanks for the preview.
AlexLachance

Some sad news this morning in the US with the tragic collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Thoughts and prayers with those affected by this.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

This is our equipment being used to test the Kawasaki dampers.

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Have an interview over MS Teams for a local architect firm with the vice president of the firm.

She had gotten a resume from my instructor.

Though I am not holding my breath. In previous industries, I have been ghosted and things not work out. Not sure how they do drafters. Or if they see a 50 year old fat man student and nope out. But still, it is an honor my instructor believes me competent enough. Especially after turning down an internship at a plant that was too far out and a bit too oppressive for my tastes. My skills have REALLY, REALLY improved in the last several months. Things that took me hours I can now do in an hour or so. But there's still so much out there I am ignorant of...

Really looking forward to Spring Break which starts today. I have been really, really burnt out lately on the volume of school work and it's been a roller coaster over here.

I am still on a good path to join you guys in the workforce as I graduate in Fall this year.
Glenn Schroeder

ctsturdiv wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 pm Have an interview over MS Teams for a local architect firm with the vice president of the firm.

Though I am not holding my breath. In previous industries, I have been ghosted and things not work out. Not sure how they do drafters. Or if they see a 50 year old fat man student and nope out. But still, it is an honor my instructor believes me competent enough. Especially after turning down an internship at a plant that was too far out and a bit too oppressive for my tastes. My skills have REALLY, REALLY improved in the last several months. Things that took me hours I can now do in an hour or so. But there's still so much out there I am ignorant of...

Really looking forward to Spring Break which starts today. I have been really, really burnt out lately on the volume of school work and it's been a roller coaster over here.

I am still on a good path to join you guys in the workforce as I graduate in Fall this year.
Good luck from a 62-year old fat man.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 pm Have an interview over MS Teams for a local architect firm with the vice president of the firm.

Don't worry, everyone has their own skill set. Someone will eventually see your skill set and think to himself "I can't miss this opportunity that's being given to me" and jump on it. Figure out the best way to sell your salad without rambling on too long. I think the best way to "sell your salad" is to show that you have interests in not only the job, but also other things such as the domain you'll be working in or things that could attach to it.
AlexLachance

Some new stuff being worked on
20240328_075320.jpg
20240402_142216.jpg
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2024 ... ber-attack

A malicious linux backdoor (CVE-2024-3094), with a CVSS score of 10/10 was detected recently...
What more amazing is that it was detected because of a 0.5s lag (and also the fact that it is detected by a Microsoft developer :? )
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance

zwei wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:07 am https://www.theguardian.com/global/2024 ... ber-attack

A malicious linux backdoor (CVE-2024-3094), with a CVSS score of 10/10 was detected recently...
What more amazing is that it was detected because of a 0.5s lag (and also the fact that it is detected by a Microsoft developer :? )
That is some crazy stuff, straight out of Hollywood. This is partly why I pay attention to anormal delays
AlexLachance

Welp, just learned a guy I went to school with was part of the humanitarian crew that got hit by an airstrike from Israel... War is such a horrible and tragic event for everyone involved and even those not involved or indirectly involved.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SPerman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm This is our equipment being used to test the Kawasaki dampers.
Cool.
I'm using Tein EDFC on my Lancer.
Will do the same on next car.
Glenn Schroeder

A familiar name from the good old days just popped up on the Swamp: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... GVjsedatCQ.

ctsturdiv

Well, interview was on the 4th.

Seems I was mistaken in my initial research and they do a lot of Civil. They also wanted me in person, not on MS Teams.

Got in there early, and they were taken aback by my age for a minute. They expected someone in their 20s because I put no call center stuff on my resume. Asked why I did not put the call centers on there, mentioned that there is a school of thought to resumes to where you don't put down what you don't want to do anymore for career changes. Seemed to go okay, and they continued with questions.

Interview was with a vice president (who is a civil engineer) and the lead draftsperson. Both middle aged ladies and very upper middle class mannerisms. A far cry from the restaurant industry or call centers. Not that there was anything wrong with that.

Kept me in there probably about an hour, showed me the elevation plot plans they do. It' 10x more complex than anything in college (which concentrates on PIDs and piping). If I DO get the job, I think I would need a ton of direction (though I did not tell them that).

Only thing that concerns me is they sometimes talked about another person in my program who was a former teacher in her late 20s/early 30s. Also, when I asked when I was to be called back, were kinda avoidant. Who knows?

Sent a thank you email. Ball's in their court and will probably check back in a week or two.

Not holding breath and I am sure there will be more opportunities.

I will start working on portfolio Summer and if nothing moves by final semester, start applying outside what the college suggests. Maybe even use head hunters.

Thanks for the good will!

Even if I don't get it, this is the first industry interview I have ever done and I know a bit more what to expect going forward.
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:53 am Interview was with a vice president (who is a civil engineer) and the lead draftsperson. Both middle aged ladies and very upper middle class mannerisms. A far cry from the restaurant industry or call centers. Not that there was anything wrong with that.

Kept me in there probably about an hour, showed me the elevation plot plans they do. It' 10x more complex than anything in college (which concentrates on PIDs and piping). If I DO get the job, I think I would need a ton of direction (though I did not tell them that).

Only thing that concerns me is they sometimes talked about another person in my program who was a former teacher in her late 20s/early 30s. Also, when I asked when I was to be called back, were kinda avoidant. Who knows?

Everyone needs direction when joining a company no matter what, even if they have 30 years experience. Some people prefer a clean sheet like yours because it's easier to shape it the way you want then one with 30 years experience that refuses to adapt to the situation and has certain paradigms.

It's a good idea to follow up like you did. They were most likely evasive about being specific because the economic situation is not as stable as it seems and they most likely have other candidates to interview in no specific time line.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I can't believe schools closed around here because it was the equivalent of being a little bit cloudy. I'm sure it is impressive if you are in the zone of a total eclipse, but where we are it was barely noticeable.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:46 pm I can't believe schools closed around here because it was the equivalent of being a little bit cloudy. I'm sure it is impressive if you are in the zone of a total eclipse, but where we are it was barely noticeable.

This is what it looked like, kinda. It was total over here. Birds were going crazy for a few minutes but besides that, nothing too crazy besides a "once in a lifetime" event. I agree schools shouldn't have closed for this. In 1994, there was a partial one and my school at the time made us build our own shoe box for the eclipse so we could watch it. It was a fun thing as a child and shouldn't be seen as a "Be afraid, be very afraid!" thing lol
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:00 pm Image

This is what it looked like, kinda. It was total over here. Birds were going crazy for a few minutes but besides that, nothing too crazy besides a "once in a lifetime" event. I agree schools shouldn't have closed for this. In 1994, there was a partial one and my school at the time made us build our own shoe box for the eclipse so we could watch it. It was a fun thing as a child and shouldn't be seen as a "Be afraid, be very afraid!" thing lol
I recall '94 was pretty close to full eclipse, middle school science class made boxes too and then all went outside for it. Was cool for a middle-schooler. Canceling school seams odd and missed opportunity.
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:00 pm Image

At least y'all saw something.

It was overcast and rainy in my neck of the woods in Louisiana. 88 percent occulation.

Got a little dark like what it would be in early AM. Dogs were a bit on edge. But other than that, lackluster.
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:09 am At least y'all saw something.

It was overcast and rainy in my neck of the woods in Louisiana. 88 percent occulation.

Got a little dark like what it would be in early AM. Dogs were a bit on edge. But other than that, lackluster.
Clear sky on a hot spring day for us. It was in the 60's and dropped in the 40's during the eclipse.
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

We were lucky the clouds cleared enough for us to actually see the totality. We walked over to the large park near our house. The schools near us took the kids outside. I heard from a neighbor that was about two blocks from the elementary that she could hear all the kids yelling in excitement. I think my favorite picture was the one where I turned to look at my family all staring at the sky during the totality. I snapped a picture of them with the "sunset" colors in the background.

In 2017, we were in the 90% area. Some of the schools kept the kids inside because they were worried they might look at the sky. I was very glad on that day that we were homeschooling so my kids got to make pinhole viewers and try different things. Turns out the best one is the old aluminum colander we have. It has fairly small round holes. Our family has used it in 3 eclipses now.
AlexLachance

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:52 pm Still designing new stuff!
image.png

40' long trailer with a stabilizer and a high lift dump tailgate.
Few months later, we pretty much finished and tested the first trailer
image.png
Loaded tests coming next week :P
AlexLachance

SolidWorks being SolidWorks.
image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:37 am SolidWorks being SolidWorks.

image.png
It's a very complicated system...
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

bnemec wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm It's a very complicated system...
No, a very simple one.
As long as support doesn't respond to request, they can close it.
;;
AlexLachance

Yeah, sent a nice mail to my VAR reminding that he;

should not be closing requests without giving valid reasons
and
should be following up on requests faster then a 10 month span and without having me to force him to do so.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:27 pm Yeah, sent a nice mail to my VAR reminding that he;

should not be closing requests without giving valid reasons
and
should be following up on requests faster then a 10 month span and without having me to force him to do so.
There are better VAR's out there, but I don't know if switching is possible for you.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 pm There are better VAR's out there, but I don't know if switching is possible for you.
My VAR generally does a good job, but they've been going back to their old habits of before the original one and two, which is kind of the reason why I'm a bit grumpy lately :lol: