Solidworks is out of Memory.!!

Damo
Answers: 0

Solidworks is out of Memory.!!

Unread post by Damo »

Solidworks is out of memory! Solidworks is now terminating.
In all my years using this software, (now on 2022SP5) I cannot recall seeing this one.
SW Out Of MEMORY.!!!.png
SW Out Of MEMORY.!!!.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
The only thing I might be able to add is another odd warning I have seen a few times lately.
Updating.png
Updating.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Would anyone like to offer any insight of own lived experience..?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Solidworks is out of Memory.!!

Unread post by SPerman »

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Were you doing stress analysis? I recently had to add memory to a workstation because we did a stress analysis that was much larger then our usual one, so that workstation is now dedicated to large stress analysis lol.

The second image is one that speaks of assembly updating. Perhaps you created a circular reference unintentionally?
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

SPerman wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:46 am Does anything here help?

https://www.goengineer.com/blog/fix-sol ... unning-low
This is a very useful link. Cheers.
I will go thru these possible solutions and feedback my changes, if I find anything that applies.

Thanks again. 😎
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:39 am Were you doing stress analysis? I recently had to add memory to a workstation because we did a stress analysis that was much larger then our usual one, so that workstation is now dedicated to large stress analysis lol.

The second image is one that speaks of assembly updating. Perhaps you created a circular reference unintentionally?
As it happens, no. I was merely working on a multi-page drawing file. (17 Sheets.)

A circular reference...🤔 This is indeed possible. I hadn't thought of that.

It wouldn't be the first time either 🙄

I will investigate further.

Thank you.
AlexLachance

Ooof, 17 sheets is quite a large drawing, if your assembly is somehow big I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.
john@layketool.com

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

Seems like most of the time this is not due to system memory but because of what's called GDI objects. We used to have to change the number of GDI objects in the registry but people say that it doesn't work with Windows 10. One of the things that used to peg out this amount was having a 3D mouse. For whatever reason the app was using a lot of GDI objects and causing Solidworks to crash. I haven't seen it in a while but not sure of what your system consists of or drivers you're using.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Happens with me ALL the time.
Sad.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:42 am Ooof, 17 sheets is quite a large drawing, if your assembly is somehow big I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.
Yeah,.. I suppose it is. Tho, the assembly is not as large as others I regularly work with.
Performance Evaluation states: 191 Components, 12 Subassemblies, 1370 Bodies, 232 Mates, No flexible assemblies and no circular references.
My PC is sufficiently beastly to have no issue with this. (Specs in Bio.)
Meh.. I guess I will simply have to wait and see if this recurs.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

I can give you a data point for SW 2023 SP5. We have a few legacy projects that put everything on one drawing. One of them is 47 pages, 1320 components and 300Mb. Solidworks is only using 4.5 GB of RAM. The only performance issue is opening time and that's a few minutes at most.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

Additional info from the KB:
It says it's for an earlier release than 2022 but it may still help.
image.png
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

image.png
image.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Really? In 2019 SW still had DOS limitations? An OS that has been dead for at least 25 years.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SPerman wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:15 am image.png

Really? In 2019 SW still had DOS limitations? An OS that has been dead for at least 25 years.
Windows still based on DOS.
8.3 and "path too long" are DOS problems.
Some of it are legacy library the software is using.
DLZ_SWX_User

Unread post by DLZ_SWX_User »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:59 am Windows still based on DOS.
LOL! I was just fixing to state the above! And I think we'd be surprised how many programs from the 90's and before because of legacy data still have DOS limitations.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:59 am Windows still based on DOS.
Windows is like a Mansion that's made up of many additions built on over top of the previous. At the core of the catacombs is the original, one room shack (or perhaps the out-house) that the whole thing started around. Still there, still the original cornerstone, QDOS.

At least that's my simple minded perception.
Frederick_Law

Same thing with GDI, user object limit.
Why do we still have 64k memory limit? When we get 64GB RAM?
With Windows 10, that doesn't popup as often.
So it probably due to program not updating code to new Windows standard.
Or they have old libraries which they have no access to source code.
Like features bought from 3rd party.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:09 am Same thing with GDI, user object limit.
Solidworks products is the first time I encountered or had the need to know about GDI object limits. I'm not aware of other systems that have blogs explaining how to increase the 64k object limit.
Frederick_Law wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:09 am Or they have old libraries which they have no access to source code.
Like features bought from 3rd party.
Now I'm confused, are we talking about Micro$oft or Da$$ault?
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:21 am Solidworks products is the first time I encountered or had the need to know about GDI object limits. I'm not aware of other systems that have blogs explaining how to increase the 64k object limit.

Now I'm confused, are we talking about Micro$oft or Da$$ault?
Don't forget Microsoft was made by a man who bought concepts from a bunch of people and patented them to then assemble an entire O.S. out of all these patents.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:29 am Don't forget Microsoft was made by a man who bought concepts from a bunch of people and patented them to then assemble an entire O.S. out of all these patents.
That is a pretty drastic oversimplification of what Bill Gates accomplished.
-
Frederick_Law

bnemec wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:21 am Now I'm confused, are we talking about Micro$oft or Da$$ault?
Your guess is as good as mine **
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:31 am That is a pretty drastic oversimplification of what Bill Gates accomplished.
Oversimplification sure but I don't think it's drastic. But then again, I'm not a big fan of the Gates.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:31 am That is a pretty drastic oversimplification of what Bill Gates accomplished.
I think he was trying to be kind and keep it light.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I know I wasn't writing machine compilers and getting paid thousands of dollars in high school (He did that in the early 70's when 99% of the world didn't even know what a computer was.)

I don't like many of Microsoft's business practices, and I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Bill on much of anything politically. But to insinuate he only became who he is by stealing from others is a long way from the truth.

If you want to know more about the man and the company's history (and you have 4 hours to burn) I recommend this podcast. (4 Hours is only the first episode.)

https://www.acquired.fm/episodes/microsoft
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:38 pm I know I wasn't writing machine compilers and getting paid thousands of dollars in high school (He did that in the early 70's when 99% of the world didn't even know what a computer was.)

I don't like many of Microsoft's business practices, and I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Bill on much of anything politically. But to insinuate he only became who he is by stealing from others is a long way from the truth.

If you want to know more about the man and the company's history (and you have 4 hours to burn) I recommend this podcast. (4 Hours is only the first episode.)

https://www.acquired.fm/episodes/microsoft
He was, and still is, one of the great 'minds' of his generation. He took huge calculated risks, such as buying the patent for MS-Dos for instance. I think he's brought great things to society while destroying many essentials thing in a society. I'll leave it at that.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

AlexB wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:09 am Additional info from the KB:
It says it's for an earlier release than 2022 but it may still help.
image.png
image.png
Interesting 🤔

If the issue occurred upon opening the file, I might assume this had merit.
The issue I had was (mercifully) a one-off event, so far. There were no renamed folders or indications of filenames too long, etc.
At least not for me. But this may indeed proove useful to someone else.

Something else I had thought of: Our IT dweebs insist on rolling out updates every Wednesday. (Local-time).
It occurs to me this is when this issue occured. I have previously had weird things happen while the update is in process.
(This was how I recently discovered this.. "https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2991")
And despite my preference of leaving my machine in hibernate overnight most nights, I am forced into a shutdown/restart every wednesday night.

In short, I dunno. But It's been > a week since and I've been able to continue and complete that drawing and project without seeing that dialog/warning again.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I try and reboot every couple of days, at the longest. (I reboot every time SW crashes.) I feel like I have fewer issues following that methodology, but since upgrading to 2023 SP5 earlier in the year, SW doesn't crash nearly as often. In my experience, after upgrading to Windows 11, SW 2022, and especially PDM 2022 were less stable. Rebooting this frequently could be overkill on 2023.
-
putasaky

Unread post by putasaky »

Hi all, i encountered this error.
Solution is update Driver Card.
Crazy idea but it's working.
:lol:
There are only 3 types of people in the world
CAN COUNT AND CAN NOT