Which Way To Go?

mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Which Way To Go?

Unread post by mike miller »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 am
matt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 am
Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 am
I'm totally convinced that we are on a different page... The term SSP is a figure of speech that I put out quite a few years ago on the old Forum and it kind of stuck. It can be what @Frederick_Law implies as a "Master Sketch" or other people call it a "Master Part" it don't matter.
I think I know what you're talking about. It's a 2D sketch that represents dimensions of parts of the assembly.

Let's say you have parts and the boundary between them is something you can't extrude. There are some products where you have to use a 3D construct instead of 2D. So the 2D sketch bit doesn't work for everything. That's all I'm saying.
That is why the SSP term is confusing, it isn't restricted to 2D sketches only, just for clarification to whoever would have an interest, the SSP can include Solids, Surfaces, 3D sketches etc..
A quick question, John. What do you do for weldment profiles, i.e. tube frames? AFAIK there is no good way to miter the corners if each body is it's own part file... (???) Do you create a multi-body file for that part?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am
matt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 am

I think I know what you're talking about. It's a 2D sketch that represents dimensions of parts of the assembly.

Let's say you have parts and the boundary between them is something you can't extrude. There are some products where you have to use a 3D construct instead of 2D. So the 2D sketch bit doesn't work for everything. That's all I'm saying.
That is why the SSP term is confusing, it isn't restricted to 2D sketches only, just for clarification to whoever would have an interest, the SSP can include Solids, Surfaces, 3D sketches etc..
A quick question, John. What do you do for weldment profiles, i.e. tube frames? AFAIK there is no good way to miter the corners if each body is it's own part file... (???) Do you create a multi-body file for that part?
I don't use any of those features, primarily has to do with staying away from cutlists and bom related stuff, it might be a lot better today then what it was years ago. I know that people like to use weldments and multi-body designs, fine, being an old foagy, I prefer the regular modeling techniques, at the end of the day, "I Think" you are much further ahead, one workflow one system, parametric and robust. Don't forget.... I totally hope there is a better way, but if you think you found it, send me a model to test... ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 am
mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am

I don't use any of those features, primarily has to do with staying away from cutlists and bom related stuff, it might be a lot better today then what it was years ago. I know that people like to use weldments and multi-body designs, fine, being an old foagy, I prefer the regular modeling techniques, at the end of the day, "I Think" you are much further ahead, one workflow one system, parametric and robust. Don't forget.... I totally hope there is a better way, but if you think you found it, send me a model to test... ;)
I'm dipping my toes into SSP. ;) Not using weldment profiles seems very convoluted to me, even if all the other rules about multi-bodies apply.

@mattpeneguy , do you use weldments?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John

The Technical Definition of Convoluted is

intricately folded, twisted, or coiled. (according to Google)..

You might find it hard to imagine I'm more inclined to be "intricately folder" rather then "twisted" ;)

Here is one of my indicators..... Stay clear of most traffic issues, applies to questions/problems on the SW Forum, Weldments and Multibody features have had a lot of issues over the years. At any part of the day, week or month it seemed to me that there wasn't a day without people freaking out about those two features.. So I don't understand why someone would even consider using them, lol ;) - help is close, don't jump..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am The Technical Definition of Convoluted is

You might find it hard to imagine I'm more inclined to be "intricately folder" rather then "twisted" ;)

Here is one of my indicators..... Stay clear of most traffic issues, applies to questions/problems on the SW Forum, Weldments and Multibody features have had a lot of issues over the years. At any part of the day, week or month it seemed to me that there wasn't a day without people freaking out about those two features.. So I don't understand why someone would even consider using them, lol ;) - help is close, don't jump..
Serious question, how would you model the attached part? I'd really like to know, because this is one of the last hurdles to cross before I start taking a serious look at SSP. Cheers, and thanks in advance. **
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

I go where there's work and money. Onshape and Inventor clients haven't been knocking down the door the way SolidWorks and NX clients have.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am The Technical Definition of Convoluted is

John,

I mean no disrespect, but I can't imagine doing my job without multi-body Parts and weldments (and configurations, which I believe you also avoid). All three present very few problems if the user knows what he or she is doing (and getting to that point isn't difficult; I did it).

Glenn
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Roasted By John

Common saying around here "Whatever Floats Your Boat" ;)

I just can't understand that if you get hurt, why go back for more... lol

Your turn -
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

matt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 am Let's say you have parts and the boundary between them is something you can't extrude. There are some products where you have to use a 3D construct instead of 2D. So the 2D sketch bit doesn't work for everything. That's all I'm saying.
That's what we are saying.
Master can be anything. Don't need to be sketch.

How does SE create 3D without "sketch"?
Or it just "hide" the sketch from user?
Frederick_Law

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 am
Serious question, how would you model the attached part? I'd really like to know, because this is one of the last hurdles to cross before I start taking a serious look at SSP. Cheers, and thanks in advance. **
You've already done it.
Weldment itself is a simple Master Sketch work flow.
Inventor Frame Gen is result of Master Sketch.

My "Weldment":
MasterSketch-01.jpg
MasterSketch-02.jpg
Frederick_Law

Weldment Master Sketch sample.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

SPerman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm
matt wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:55 am

I personally would go to NX if I could afford it. Otherwise, Solid Edge is a great option, particularly if you do machine design, sheet metal, drawings, and work with imported data.
I feel the exact same way. But the price tag is a bit shocking.
If all you are after are the same type of features that SW offers you don't need Mach bundles and could probably got with base (NX Sub. NX Core is around $3K per year)...or if you really want flexibility you can go with license "token" stuff. That allows you to use any software you want at a time based on your available tokens. It's pretty slick..
https://www.dex.siemens.com/plm/nx-clou ... lected=plm

Otherwise you can also look at Solid Edge subscriptions ($$2,700/yr for SE Classic which is comparitive to SW Prof)..don't forget to wheel and deal!
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:49 am
You've already done it.
Weldment itself is a simple Master Sketch work flow.
Inventor Frame Gen is result of Master Sketch.

My "Weldment":
MasterSketch-01.jpg
MasterSketch-02.jpg
That's a ton of work....something like that I would have done using DriveWorks or a different CAD system, like NX, that allows for all sorts of design controls from a top level assy or pushing top level expression values down a product tree to using WAVE. NX has a ton of tools that come standard for "programming" your designs.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 am

John,

I mean no disrespect, but I can't imagine doing my job without multi-body Parts and weldments (and configurations, which I believe you also avoid). All three present very few problems if the user knows what he or she is doing (and getting to that point isn't difficult; I did it).

Glenn
If mulit-body is needed then NX is the way to go. It could care less about how many solid bodies it has in it. I will say that if you want to use welds then I believe (70%) that you need to use an assy. But with NX you don't have a different file for an assy vs a part, vs sheet metal vs drawing. In NX a part is a part doesn't matter what it contains.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Is this just a tube frame? That's all I'm seeing.
mike miller

Ry-guy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Yes. The "purist SSP guys" would never put more than one body into a part. Hence my question.

On a tangent, how would SE deal with that?
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Ry-guy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:24 pm
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 am

John,

Glenn
If mulit-body is needed then NX is the way to go. It could care less about how many solid bodies it has in it. I will say that if you want to use welds then I believe (70%) that you need to use an assy. But with NX you don't have a different file for an assy vs a part, vs sheet metal vs drawing. In NX a part is a part doesn't matter what it contains.
Thank you. That may be valuable information for someone who is debating which software to use, but multi-body Parts in Solidworks work very well for me.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm
Yes. The "purist SSP guys" would never put more than one body into a part. Hence my question.
If I can get a proper BOM instead of F-Up cutlist, I'll use whatever.
One part, one drawing just easier to find everything.