Uneditable Custom Properties

Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Uneditable Custom Properties

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Anyone know how to overcome a part with uneditable custom properties? This component came from a supplier.
by zwei » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 am
Without looking at the file, I cannot prpoperly advise...

My first guess is that you had imported the part with 3DInterconnect which link the part to the 3rd party CAD file.
The custom properties are locked when the third-party CAD file and the SOLIDWORKS file are linked. To overwrite these properties, you must break the link.

Try turning off the 3D Interconnect and reimport the file again
Go to full post
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Uneditable Custom Properties

Unread post by zwei »

Without looking at the file, I cannot prpoperly advise...

My first guess is that you had imported the part with 3DInterconnect which link the part to the 3rd party CAD file.
The custom properties are locked when the third-party CAD file and the SOLIDWORKS file are linked. To overwrite these properties, you must break the link.

Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Uncle_Hairball

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 am Without looking at the file, I cannot prpoperly advise...

Very good, that is the right answer. I hadn't noticed that it is a linked .step file.

Is there any way to break the link and turn it into a regular Solidworks part?
JPARKER
Answers: 0

Unread post by JPARKER »

If you right-click on the features in the tree and select "Dissolve Feature" it will break the link to the original CAD file.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Click on the properties for the part, and make sure there aren't "configuration specific" properties.
image.png
I've had the software create those when I did a "save as" on a part. Until I delete them, the print will not recognize the regular custom properties.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Uncle_Hairball

Yes, there is one configuration-specific property, but I cannot delete it either. I can add more, but cannot delete existing properties.
Uncle_Hairball

JPARKER wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:21 pm If you right-click on the features in the tree and select "Dissolve Feature" it will break the link to the original CAD file.
Worked perfectly. Thanks!
SolidMuse
Answers: 0

Unread post by SolidMuse »

If you do not wish to use the 3DInterconnect you can disable it in the SolidWorks Options.... By default it is toggled on when doing a new install of SolidWorks.