Extruded Cut won't cut?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

Extruded Cut won't cut?

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

Hi all,

In the attached file, I'm trying to create a simple cut (through all) using the sketch "SKETCH Middle Cut". However, when I try, SW gives me the error message below. Surely I must be doing something wrong...?

All help is appreciated :)!

Thanks,

image.png
Attachments
Interior_Back.SLDPRT
(64.28 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Extruded Cut won't cut?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Wrong direction buddy :) Look at the image, the arrow points to the left, and your sketch is on that face.
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Ballfreak10 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 pm Hi all,

In the attached file, I'm trying to create a simple cut (through all) using the sketch "SKETCH Middle Cut". However, when I try, SW gives me the error message below. Surely I must be doing something wrong...?

All help is appreciated :)!

Thanks,

image.png

Sloppy sketching. Sketch entities should touch end to end.
image.png
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Real quick (without downloading your file) I am guessing that you need to uncheck "thin feature".

Or, if you really are looking for a "thin feature" that you make sure that your thickness is less than the smallest radius for the wall thickness direction that you are going.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt

Unread post by matt »

Nope. @AlexLachance The sketch is on the top face, and cuts in the right direction.

@dpihlaja It is an open sketch, but not intentionally. It actually has multiple open profiles and also overlapping profiles. Seriously sloppy sketching.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Dragging some sketch points to where they should intersect fixes the problem.
image.png
Attachments
Interior_Backmatt.SLDPRT
(96.25 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

@matt pointed out one problem. Here's another one.

image.png

Clean those areas up (on both sides), and it will work.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja

matt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm Nope. @AlexLachance The sketch is on the top face, and cuts in the right direction.

@dpihlaja It is an open sketch, but not intentionally. It actually has multiple open profiles and also overlapping profiles. Seriously sloppy sketching.
OK, you are right....however, it doesn't really make sense that "thin feature" was checked on this one anyway..... so....in addition to what @matt and @Glenn Schroeder said, also uncheck thin feature because it doesn't seem to make sense in this case.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

matt

Unread post by matt »

dpihlaja wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm
matt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm Nope. @AlexLachance The sketch is on the top face, and cuts in the right direction.

OK, you are right....however, it doesn't really make sense that "thin feature" was checked on this one anyway..... so....in addition to what @matt and @Glenn Schroeder said, also uncheck thin feature because it doesn't seem to make sense in this case.
If you fix the other problems, the thin feature option won't be checked automatically. SW just sees open profiles and automatically sets thin feature.
AlexLachance

You're right, after relooking at the screenshot the vertical construction line connects to the top face and not the alternate. I must be getting tired
DanPihlaja

matt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:05 pm
dpihlaja wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm

If you fix the other problems, the thin feature option won't be checked automatically. SW just sees open profiles and automatically sets thin feature.
Ahh, I didn't think of that. Thanks @matt !!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance

matt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm Sloppy sketching. Sketch entities should touch end to end.

@Ballfreak10 This is your issue

(quoting because he PM'ed me ;) )