Change State ToolTip

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Change State ToolTip

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

Hey all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to add a tooltip to the change state transition items in file explorer. Can't seem to find any references to this. I'm implementing PDM at my place of work, and am currently trying to set up bumper rails for some wiley bowling balls to be guided with as they navigate the workflow...any suggestions? Would be nice to have the default tooltip be the 'description' of that transition.

I've obviously tried to name the transitions such that they are obvious, but I'm trying to be proactive in limiting the amount of intervention needed on my part to correct errors.

Could be that I'm thinking too much about this, and just let this idea die. Let me know if you'd suggest this as well.

Thanks!
Austin
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Change State ToolTip

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I'm guessing this could be a limitation of the Windows right click menu, never seen tooltips in there but it could be useful....or it could get in the way depending on the delay time.

I add a little bit of helper text to the transition name if needed, usually in parenthesis after the name. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Accept (Submit for release)
Reject (Send back to engineering)
Jason
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

The enhancement request you are looking for is SPR 808121

There is a more general enhancement request for customizable tooltips in more areas in SPR 442757
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:05 pm I'm guessing this could be a limitation of the Windows right click menu, never seen tooltips in there but it could be useful....or it could get in the way depending on the delay time.

I add a little bit of helper text to the transition name if needed, usually in parenthesis after the name. Not ideal but better than nothing.

This was going to be my fallback. Thanks for the response

Diaval wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:47 am The enhancement request you are looking for is SPR 808121

There is a more general enhancement request for customizable tooltips in more areas in SPR 442757
Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants this. In the meantime, I'll just have to add some 'helper' text like @jcapriotti suggested. Thanks for the looking into these SPRs, @Diaval
Austin
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:05 pm I'm guessing this could be a limitation of the Windows right click menu, never seen tooltips in there but it could be useful....or it could get in the way depending on the delay time.

limitation of Windows Right Click: Might depend on what the Vault View UI was programmed in. Menus (Right click, File, etc.) are called Context Menus and they are nested and the elements can have tool tips in .NET. I don't know if .NET 1.1 had it or not but I know >=3 has it. So it's possible, just not often implemented. As you state it could be more harm than good depending on where on the screen you're at (near the edge) and if it will display over or be covered by the menu itself. I was in a Forms app so did a quick test.
image.png
image.png
image.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 856 times
I second the idea to just focus on the transition name. Think of it from the user perspective rather than PDM Admin perspective. What is the user doing? If you've ever wished the programmer would have used CAD terminology instead of programmer jargon on a menu or dialog, this is your chance to set up the user interface to work for the user. In a way, you are the programmer of your PDM Workflow.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@bnemec Yeah, I figured in .net it would be an option. I was thinking it was a Windows Explorer limitation since I've never seen tooltips there. And of course PDM shoehorns itself into the Explorer UI so whatever limitations Explorer has then PDM will have.
Jason