Downloads?

New functionality as it is added. Talk about how to use new features.

Would you miss downloads if it were gone?

yes
55%
no
45%

Total votes: 11
matt
Answers: 18

Downloads?

Unread post by matt »

It seems like I'm the only person who likes the Downloads functionality - the Downloads link in the header. You can also upload stuff to it. Treat it like a library instead of things getting lost in individual posts.

Anyway, if I'm the only person who uses this, maybe it should go away. What do you think?
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: Downloads?

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I think we could use it more than we currently do. I feel it helps keep things in a central location, if it gets used.

BTW, how are we supposed to upload things? I don't see the "Upload" button.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:49 pm It seems like I'm the only person who likes the Downloads functionality - the Downloads link in the header. You can also upload stuff to it. Treat it like a library instead of things getting lost in individual posts.

Anyway, if I'm the only person who uses this, maybe it should go away. What do you think?
I think that idea has merit. I fear we don't think of it when posting. Most files would likely have context in a thread/post somewhere. Some really only apply to that thread as uploading the specific file, others may have standing significance such as a cool way to model something.
So if I'm asking a question or responding and have a file that should have scope beyond that thread, what would be the suggested route to do that? Open the downloads section in another tab/window, upload the file, get a link to it, go back to the post editor and paste the link? That's just my assumption (which are usually flawed) but what on this post editor page is going to make me think to do that? In other words; I'm lazy, is there an easy button? Just thinking out loud about how to get more good use of the downloads section.

Is there a reason to take it down? Is it causing a conflict?
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:14 am I think we could use it more than we currently do. I feel it helps keep things in a central location, if it gets used.

BTW, how are we supposed to upload things? I don't see the "Upload" button.
There should be an Upload button right next to your Download link. Exactly where it is will vary according to which theme you're using.
image.png
image.png (7.87 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 am Is there a reason to take it down? Is it causing a conflict?
Not really. I do like to clear out stuff that isn't getting used. Plugins tend to pile up, and in the future if I should have to do some troubleshooting, it will be easier with fewer possible culprits to wade through. That's why the Mchat thing went away. It wasn't getting used (for the intended purposes) and it was a potential conflict. I like to keep evaluating what's getting used and what isn't.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 am There should be an Upload button right next to your Download link. Exactly where it is will vary according to which theme you're using.

image.png
Mine looks like this.
image.png
Jaylin Hochstetler

matt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 am There should be an Upload button right next to your Download link. Exactly where it is will vary according to which theme you're using.

image.png
It's not there. Mine looks like this:
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 pm It's not there. Mine looks like this:
image.png
looks like Matt is busy. The Upload link is there now

But it looks like something happened to basic (as opposed to Google) search. I lost the ability to view the list of my posts and the new my topics from my profile. Also, the Quick links menu is nuetered, my browser shortcut to Unread Posts takes me to a page that says I cannot access the search.

cannot seem to post image at the moment either.
Jaylin Hochstetler

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:16 pm looks like Matt is busy. The Upload link is there now

But it looks like something happened to basic (as opposed to Google) search. I lost the ability to view the list of my posts and the new my topics from my profile. Also, the Quick links menu is nuetered, my browser shortcut to Unread Posts takes me to a page that says I cannot access the search.

cannot seem to post image at the moment either.
I noticed the same thing but it's back now. Thanks @matt!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:39 pm I noticed the same thing but it's back now. Thanks @matt!
Yes. Thank you @matt
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am Mine looks like this.
image.png
Hold it, too much going on today. What theme is that? I thought I got rid of all the PHPBB logos! Seriously, what theme is that? I'll get rid of the PHPBB.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm Hold it, too much going on today. What theme is that? I thought I got rid of all the PHPBB logos! Seriously, what theme is that? I'll get rid of the PHPBB.
Flat Style Gold I think. Dark Mode. I could use something else, I guess I tried a couple different ones a while ago and just left it on this one.
image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

matt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm Hold it, too much going on today. What theme is that? I thought I got rid of all the PHPBB logos! Seriously, what theme is that? I'll get rid of the PHPBB.
Not sure is it my cache or what, even the default theme still has the phpbb logo :lol:
The CAD forum logo did appear for a few second before turning back to phpbb
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Anyway, back to the download topics..

I had voted No but thought that i should put my 2 cent down too (no hard feeling yea):

1. "Download"
The term "Download" is rather confusing to me, I understand it is suppose to be Library so why not label it as Library instead?

2. Moderation
If everyone can upload thing into the Download folder, thing can get ugly real easily. I would prefer if there is at least some "moderation" in place, if a upload (eg; macro) prove it is worth to have a place in the library, someone can move it to the library and make a backlink to the original thread.
We can still have some folder where user can share their own work freely (something similar to grabcad)

3. Interface...
This is a minor one, but when i go into download folder, the image icon make me thought it is a download button (which it isnt)
Also the center alignment of description make it pretty hard to read too
image.png
4. Description and unknown attachment
Similar to "Dont get in car with stranger" (which is not the case with e-hailing today)... I had always refrain myself from downloading unknown attachment/upload
Some uploads are without description, without information of who upload it...
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 am Not sure is it my cache or what, even the default theme still has the phpbb logo :lol:
The CAD forum logo did appear for a few second before turning back to phpbb
image.png
Try Ctrl-F5. If you're using the default theme (Elegance), that is changed.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

matt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am Try Ctrl-F5. If you're using the default theme (Elegance), that is changed.
Weird it is still showing phpBB for me... I had already refresh, relaunch, ctrl f5
The blue cadforum logo only flash like 1~2s before turning back into pphpBB
I am running in chrome incognito mode
image.png
Attachments
Media1.mp4
(425.03 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
matt

Unread post by matt »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:34 am Weird it is still showing phpBB for me... I had already refresh, relaunch, ctrl f5
The blue cadforum logo only flash like 1~2s before turning back into pphpBB
I am running in chrome incognito mode

image.png
Try changing to a different theme, then change back.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

matt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:57 am Try changing to a different theme, then change back.
Changed the theme a few time, still pretty much the same for me... hmm