Pattern Problem

MattW
Answers: 2

Pattern Problem

Unread post by MattW »

I don't think I have seen something like this before- I want to pattern the boss and backside pocket, along with the fillet and chamfer. If I select all four, the pocket part of the pattern goes away, although it shows in the preview. If I don't pattern the chamfer, I get it back. If I move the chamfer below the pattern, the pocket goes away again. No errors get thrown up. Verification on Rebuild is turned on. Anyone with an insight into what is going on? I am fairly sure I can work around this, but this sure seems odd.
Pattern Problem.SLDPRT
(396.71 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Attachments
pattern.png
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Pattern Problem

Unread post by matt »

The pattern works if you avoid the "offset from surface" and just use a blind (maybe with an equation which achieves the same thing), and it also works if you use Pattern Faces instead of Pattern Features. Geometry Pattern doesn't seem to affect it, which seems odd.

Can't say really what's causing it, but there are a couple ways to get around the problem.
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

If you create a plane coincident with the top face of the boss and use the plane as the 'Offset from surface' entity, everything works.
MattW

Unread post by MattW »

I could have sworn I tried patterning the faces (which might be a better way of doing it anyway) and also have it not work. It is working now, I may have missed selecting a face.

Having "Offset from Surface" bamboozle the feature, when that surface doesn't yet exist, makes sense, and also why using a plane would work. Except the pocket gets patterned if the chamfer is in the tree but not selected.

Thanks for taking a look.
Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

Is this what you are looking for?
Attachments
Pattern Problem-copy.SLDPRT
(457.77 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
MattW

Unread post by MattW »

That gets the pattern to work, but loses the associativity of the end condition. I am at a loss to explain why the chamfer has to be in tree above the pattern but can't be selected as part of the pattern. I am going to chalk this up to bug that I would guess isn't easily understood.