Alt Position view Tangent Edge settings

john@layketool.com
Answers: 0

Alt Position view Tangent Edge settings

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

Does anyone know of a way to create the alternate position views in a drawing & keep the Tangent Edges removed. I have the main drawing view created & have it set to have the Tangent Edges removed but when I create an alternate position view in that view, it always creates them with the Tangent Edges visible. I then have to go to the view & remove them.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Alt Position view Tangent Edge settings

Unread post by matt »

There isn't a setting specifically for alternate position views that I know of, but there is a setting just for new views in general. If the alt pos view is different from the main setting, you'll have to change them every time you create one.
image.png
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

john@layketool.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am Does anyone know of a way to create the alternate position views in a drawing & keep the Tangent Edges removed. I have the main drawing view created & have it set to have the Tangent Edges removed but when I create an alternate position view in that view, it always creates them with the Tangent Edges visible. I then have to go to the view & remove them.
If you mean "Remove them upon creation" I'm not seeing a way to do it. The setting in the options does not seem to affect alt views. There might be someplace to force Alt Views to match the parent views but I'm not seeing that either.

If you mean "Remove them some other way then individually hiding them in the view" Then RMB View>Tangent Edges>Tangent Edges Remove

For the record, Alt Views and well drawing views in general, suck in Solidworks. It boggles the mind how a mature product like SW has so many limitations, glitches etc etc on something as basic as a freaking drawing view.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am There isn't a setting specifically for alternate position views that I know of, but there is a setting just for new views in general. If the alt pos view is different from the main setting, you'll have to change them every time you create one.

image.png
That doesn't seem to work on Alt Views, at least in 2018 SP5...or well any other previous version I've used. With that setting set to "Remove tangent" you create an Alt view and it's set to show tangents, again, at least for me.

Like many things in SW Alt views do not consistently follow the "Rules".
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:46 am That doesn't seem to work on Alt Views, at least in 2018 SP5...or well any other previous version I've used. With that setting set to "Remove tangent" you create an Alt view and it's set to show tangents, again, at least for me.

Like many things in SW Alt views do not consistently follow the "Rules".
What is this setting for?
image.png
john@layketool.com

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am There isn't a setting specifically for alternate position views that I know of, but there is a setting just for new views in general. If the alt pos view is different from the main setting, you'll have to change them every time you create one.

image.png
Yes I have the main drawing view created with the tangent edges removed with the system setting for the drawing views. I do know about the RMB on the alt pos view to remove the tangent edges but it sure would be nice if the alt pos view took the settings from the main view as far as the tangent edges go. Looks like it's time to go find a macro somewhere to make it work like it should. Thanks everyone for checking.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:53 am What is this setting for?
image.png
Yes that turns the tangent lines off but I was not sure if the OP was trying to avoid having to do that or if they were thinking they had to remove lines individually. Looks like from the later response they know about that setting but want the view to take the settings of the parent view.

Now in every other case, projected, section etc etc the child view DOES take the settings from the parent view unless you specify otherwise....not so with Alt Views.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

The tangent edges are squirrely for me too. I have my new views set to hide tangent edges, but I sometimes set one to Tangent Edges with Font. When I do that, and create projected views from it, it's not uncommon for some to have the same setting and some to have them hidden.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 am The tangent edges are squirrely for me too. I have my new views set to hide tangent edges, but I sometimes set one to Tangent Edges with Font. When I do that, and create projected views from it, it's not uncommon for some to have the same setting and some to have them hidden.
Alt Views are really unstable as well. I have many times just had them disappear, change, blow up in some fashion or another.

I absolutely DESPISE the limitations. "Oh this has a breakout view on it you can't do "X" with it" and so forth.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 am The tangent edges are squirrely for me too. I have my new views set to hide tangent edges, but I sometimes set one to Tangent Edges with Font. When I do that, and create projected views from it, it's not uncommon for some to have the same setting and some to have them hidden.
Same here, with one specific case.
Top or front added first, tangent edges hidden, projected to standard 3-view or more, and those inherit hidden tangent edges.
Then, I project an Isometric view from the front (regardless if it is the top parent view or not), and the Iso view *always* needs its tangent edges hidden. I've come to accept this in my process, simply because at least it behaves consistently.

Ref. install 2018 SP5.