Circular Pattern

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Circular Pattern

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

I replicate this part. In this video for circular pattern, surface of the part is detected by Direction1. But in my file it is not detected. How to fix it?

time 11.25 in the video

Attachments
1.png
Leaf Pattern on Ring.SLDPRT
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Circular Pattern

Unread post by matt »

Detected? You mean defined? The only way you can use a face to define a circular pattern is if the face is a revolved face with a centerline. Is there a reason the people who made the video won't answer you?

It looks like you used a flex feature, which usually makes junk. You can't use a flexed face because it's not as accurate as analytical geometry - it's spline based approximations.
Maha Nadarasa

In the video it shows bend part using flex command works with circular pattern. It does not work for me. That is what I want to know.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:14 pm In the video it shows bend part using flex command works with circular pattern. It does not work for me. That is what I want to know.
Yeah, don't believe everything you see on Youtube.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ok, here's what's happening. At 10:55...
image.png
At this point he copies the radius that the Flex feature calculates for him.

Then he goes to the Axis command, but it doesn't show what he does. It looks edited.
image.png
image.png (87.39 KiB) Viewed 939 times
I'd bet he made an axis or a revolved cut sketch and cut the inside face of the shape so it has a true revolved surface, and thus an axis.

Anyway, this is the same guy that lifted the motor model from one of my books to show in his videos and everybody is like oooh and ahhh over his model, but it's not his model at all.

Ask that guy the questions you've asked me and see what kind of response you get.
Maha Nadarasa

It detecting in the uploaded file in the GC.
Attachments
Leaf Pattern on Ring (Grabcad).SLDPRT
(23.02 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Maha Nadarasa

matt wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm Ask that guy the questions you've asked me and see what kind of response you get.
Problem is you can notice in the comment section of the video no one is raising this question.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:16 pm Yeah, don't believe everything you see on Youtube.
Well said. About the only SW youtube videos I'll even look at are the ones put out by the VAR's, though I'm sure there are other good ones out there. As seen here, there are a lot of bad ones.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

Alright, well, I've got to make a little retraction. The Flex really did work and created a cylindrical surface. I've just learned not to use flex for anything you need to be accurate.

Your flex feature doesn't work, but I suppressed your Flex and made one of my own, and it worked. Now I did correct a little error you had. You had selected an incorrect edge for the Chamfer at the end, and that might have done something to it. But I recreated the Flex feature from scratch (didn't reselect items, just suppressed your Flex and created a new feature), and it works. I used an intersection sketch to see what kind of sketch element that face created. Your flex creates a spline, and his (and mine) create arcs. All of the numbers and selections were the same. The only difference I found in your models was that you had selected an edge of the inside face for that chamfer. Fixing the chamfer didn't fix the flex, but a new flex did. I couldn't recreate your error, either. So I'm not sure what caused it, it might have been a round off error out past 3 or 4 places. I think if you delete your flex, fix your chamfer, and make a new flex, it will be correct.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 pm Problem is you can notice in the comment section of the video no one is raising this question.
No one is asking him why he is using my model and pretending it's his, either, are they? And yet that's what he's doing. Not that I'm bitter about it.... :roll:

The motor isn't even that great of a model, I just made it as an example, and didn't have a week to do it. He didn't put any effort into it at all except right click, save as. It even shows some of the mistakes I left in there... Lazy liars really burn me up. :shock:
Maha Nadarasa

I did it different way.
Attachments
Leaf Pattern on Ring-MW.SLDPRT
(18.71 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
matt

Unread post by matt »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm I did it different way.
Yeah, that's the way I thought he did it at first. Second choice was that he made a cylindrical cut, extrude or replace face.