"Bad Design" Thread

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: "Bad Design" Thread

Unread post by zxys001 »

MJuric wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 am This is the part I don't tend to agree with. There's not a regulation passed that effects any large group of companies that there isn't a lobby for that company(ies) involved somewhere. Of the case is such that the companies actually have a large hand in forming those regulations.

So it goes like this.

People... "We're worried about the planet and the gas fumes killing it"

Government..."We're supposed to do what the people want regardless if they are idiots or not and besides it will make us look like we care and that will get us re-elected"

Business..."Well we have to do what government says so we better get involved in this lunacy. Government we can do this..."

Government..."Well that looks kinda like what the people asked for even though they have no idea what they are asking for and or what it takes to do it and most of us are lawyers and have no idea what it takes to make anything. Hell most of us can't even figure out how to change our own tires...but sure yeah, we are experts on everything so that looks like a great design!"

Business..."Ok sure we can do this...because we know doing it this way is going to be more profitable than the old simple cans we used to make because now we can sell them at 3X the price and blame it on the government"

Engineer..."Seriously WTF! is this? This is a stupid idea!"

Business..."Just design something so we can sell it. This is what the people want so they will buy it and when it sucks they will end up buying another one"

People..."Seriously! This thing sucks. I just turned myself into a mobile wick and nearly burnt my house down. I'm going to go buy a different one. DAMN IT! This one sucks too. I'll by one more....really...sucks. I'm buying a funnel instead and ripping the top off this thing"

Business..."See it's working the average customer now buys three gas cans instead of one and they never return it because they rip the part off that might break, use it as an open can of gas that now spews 10X more fumes into the environment than the old ones did. On top of that certainly the people will demand this travesty be fixed because the planet is dying and we can do this ALL over again"

Planet..."I figure I have another couple hundred years before I rid myself of this awful scourge of humanity"

Excellent. Thanks!

No doubt many of us are passionate about making or trying make things better.
The sad part.. the opportunist who "use it for their own horse to ride in on" (celebrity or grifter) or "blame it on somebody else with no intent to help or solve problems at all" (grumpy old men/women with $$$ who lobby against everything, except more $$$ in their pockets (recent acceptance of safety features for gas cans) and don't want real change.
The polarities within the news and even here, are so self evident.

Oh joy... let there be more polls for the masters of puppets. oa
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau