SW Renewal Cost

Jean LeBlanc
Answers: 0

SW Renewal Cost

Unread post by Jean LeBlanc »

Just curious about SW average yearly service renewal cost.
My VAR sent me a quote for 1 year service renewal for a single seat SW Professional standalone.
The original price quote in July was $1870 USD plus tax. Total including tax $2065 USD.
After they sent two follow up emails they called me today.
I told them the original price was too high with all the added extras.
The price quote today Sept. 3 is $1495 USD plus tax. Total including tax is $1675 USD still with most extras but a few left out.
Is this an average price or too high or a good deal?

Thanks,
Jean LeBlanc
Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Re: SW Renewal Cost

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

Initial price includes License fee + Subscription fee after that you only pay subscription fee. I am a subscribe for standard SWX. I bought 3 year subscription together because there was a discount for that.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Jean LeBlanc wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:40 pm Just curious about SW average yearly service renewal cost.
My VAR sent me a quote for 1 year service renewal for a single seat SW Professional standalone.
The original price quote in July was $1870 USD plus tax. Total including tax $2065 USD.
After they sent two follow up emails they called me today.
I told them the original price was too high with all the added extras.
The price quote today Sept. 3 is $1495 USD plus tax. Total including tax is $1675 USD still with most extras but a few left out.
Is this an average price or too high or a good deal?

Thanks,
Jean LeBlanc
I just received this recently..
Term Save Renewal
5 Year $1,295.00 $5,180.00
3 Year $388.50 $3,496.50
1 Year $0.00 $1,295.00
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 pm I just received this recently..
Term Save Renewal
5 Year $1,295.00 $5,180.00
3 Year $388.50 $3,496.50
1 Year $0.00 $1,295.00
But does the renewal come with Draftsight?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mattpeneguy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:57 pm But does the renewal come with Draftsight?
No, and I should have stated, I have a Standard license. (always have)
And, I do not know if the Pro license gives you Draftsight (which I do not use because there are so many better options)
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

zxys001 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:42 pm No, and I should have stated, I have a Standard license. (always have)
And, I do not know if the Pro license gives you Draftsight (which I do not use because there are so many better options)
Paul.

I am rather infuriated at Dassault for their change to Draftsight availability. (I could rant about this, but we all feel the same I'm sure..)
I would be very interested to know what you use as an alternative.

Would you care to share this info..?
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

Damo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:52 pm Paul.

I am rather infuriated at Dassault for their change to Draftsight availability. (I could rant about this, but we all feel the same I'm sure..)

KeyCreator
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mattpeneguy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:57 pm But does the renewal come with Draftsight?
Hey Matt, I think I remember you asking me for a follow-up on the discussion I was to have with my VAR about the whole Draftsight thing.

So I did talk with them, and they did not give me any licences, they did somewhat point me towards free alternatives, but that is not what I am interested in, because I've tried most if not all of these alternatives and they're all pretty meh.

So I started asking him what was making them hold on to 99$ licences concidering the cost of our SolidWorks licences and he started stating to me that the DraftSight they give is not the 99$ one but the Professional one which costs 500$ and is supposedly an alternative to AutoCAD(Let me doubt that). Apparently they are not allowed to sell the 99$ ones but only the 500$ ones :roll:

When I asked him why he didn't speak of this when we renewed, he told me about how we were getting such a huge discount(which is true, but is still bullshit because the price is inflated) and that if we prefered he could remove the equivalent of the licences on the discount and give us the number of licences we desired, which I declined.

He offered me to get a new licence of SolidWorks at another discount Price, WITH a DraftSight Professional though, which is kind of ironic because he was offering us to remove the discount earlier in order to give us these licences.

They're leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth as of the last year.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 am Hey Matt, I think I remember you asking me for a follow-up on the discussion I was to have with my VAR about the whole Draftsight thing.

So I did talk with them, and they did not give me any licences, they did somewhat point me towards free alternatives, but that is not what I am interested in, because I've tried most if not all of these alternatives and they're all pretty meh.

So I started asking him what was making them hold on to 99$ licences concidering the cost of our SolidWorks licences and he started stating to me that the DraftSight they give is not the 99$ one but the Professional one which costs 500$ and is supposedly an alternative to AutoCAD(Let me doubt that). Apparently they are not allowed to sell the 99$ ones but only the 500$ ones :roll:

When I asked him why he didn't speak of this when we renewed, he told me about how we were getting such a huge discount(which is true, but is still bullshit because the price is inflated) and that if we prefered he could remove the equivalent of the licences on the discount and give us the number of licences we desired, which I declined.

He offered me to get a new licence of SolidWorks at another discount Price, WITH a DraftSight Professional though, which is kind of ironic because he was offering us to remove the discount earlier in order to give us these licences.

They're leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth as of the last year.
For less than $500 you could just get AutoCAD LT...I'd do that in a heartbeat over Draftsight for $500.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Damo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:52 pm Paul.

Hi Damo,.. like most of us,.. the dysgeusia still is present. So much, that I would not ever buy a license of D$. It's almost like they are wanting, thru utter stupidity, us to choose another 2D alternative (like AutoCad Lite)?

Alternatives.... it does depend on your needs... I personally don't need 2D acad DWG's... it's rare now... but, if/when I do, I just use one of the free versions (they have most everything nowadays and all of them are good... some better w/cost). Do a search here on the forum or the web and try out.
You may not like any of them and will have to use D$? (dysgeusia) >>>
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Me thinks DSS could take a lesson from ATT. . .
image.png
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

About the only thing Draftsight has over AutoCAD LT price wise is you can still get a floating license. We have 10 network floating Draftsight enterprise licenses which are shared amongst 50 users. Since we primarily use SolidWorks for CAD work, Draftsight is only used in a few use cases.
Jason
RickB

Unread post by RickB »

kawuser wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:52 amKeyCreator
I Love my KeyCreator for all things 2D.

I also use the KeyCreator to layout ANY complex or semi-complex geometry I need for a sketch in SW.

Great time saver and, generating 2D sketches is Sooooo much faster/easier/better in Keycreator.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

RickB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:09 pm I Love my KeyCreator for all things 2D.

I also use the KeyCreator to layout ANY complex or semi-complex geometry I need for a sketch in SW.

Great time saver and, generating 2D sketches is Sooooo much faster/easier/better in Keycreator.
Um, Rick. You are supposed to use the orange font for opinions. So, being the good friend I am I fixed it for you. ><
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
jcapriotti

DennisD wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:53 pm Um, Rick. You are supposed to use the orange font for opinions. So, being the good friend I am I fixed it for you. ><
What if y0u have a sarcastic opinion?

o[
Jason
SolidMuse

Unread post by SolidMuse »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:28 pm About the only thing Draftsight has over AutoCAD LT price wise is you can still get a floating license. We have 10 network floating Draftsight enterprise licenses which are shared amongst 50 users. Since we primarily use SolidWorks for CAD work, Draftsight is only used in a few use cases.
Same for us. We have Draftsight on network licenses and share amongst a lot of users.

Draftsight is not the bloated pig that AutoCAD has become. Being able to purchase Draftsight Enterprise and get networked seats is a big plus for our company.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SolidMuse wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 pm Same for us. We have Draftsight on network licenses and share amongst a lot of users.

Draftsight is not the bloated pig that AutoCAD has become. Being able to purchase Draftsight Enterprise and get networked seats is a big plus for our company.
Don't worry, they'll remove that as soon as their userbase grows large enough, without even warning you or giving you a say on the matter
jcapriotti

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:15 am Don't worry, they'll remove that as soon as their userbase grows large enough, without even warning you or giving you a say on the matter
If that happens, and AutoCAD LT is cheaper, then we'll jump ship most likely. We only need an application to do lite edits and read DWG architectural layouts and possible copy some geometry. We aren't doing heavy drawing work with it so $$$ is the name of the game.
Jason