Peculiar Vase

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Peculiar Vase

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

This screenshot was given in reddit website. I tried to model it, but it is not exactly same. I have only standard version SWX but I think higher version with surface flatten option you can model exactly same as in the screenshot. What do you think?
Attachments
Vase (1).SLDPRT
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
12.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Peculiar Vase

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The one in picture build on a helix. Your on vertical slice.
Start with a revolved vise.
Cut and circular pattern.
Make it more random.
Forget about dimensioning and constraining.
Maha Nadarasa

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

I think if I use helix this line will become helix curve. But in the screenshot this curve is not there.
Attachments
z.png
Frederick_Law

There is no vertical line in the screenshot.
Make cuts across the "vertical" line.
Frederick_Law

Imagine making the vise with wood or clay.
Rotate it and cut randomly.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am This screenshot was given in reddit website. I tried to model it, but it is not exactly same. I have only standard version SWX but I think higher version with surface flatten option you can model exactly same as in the screenshot. What do you think?
If you had access to a Mesh Modeler to play with the vertices you'd have much better/easier control. (it' almost looks like a twist and then random movements)
Otherwise, maybe Scan to Mesh has some freedoms to do this? Or, xShape or, another 3rd party program like PowerSurfacing?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

I would start out with a revolved outer surface to define outline in 3D. Facet apexes would be on that surface. Maybe also a surface to define the "bottom" edges of the facets.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

I almost posted this here, from time to time I remember this vase. lol

Last month I tried again and best result I got was using loft and making the connection point in different places so it would twist, then apply a cut.

But I just got close around the base, the rest is not good.
I am also studying Blender, which a lot of people in reddit recommended by that time, and tbh I think SWX can handle it better, it is just about getting the design
image.png
image.png
image.png
m2shell
Answers: 0

Unread post by m2shell »

Did a google image search and found the vase for sale on Ebay. Looks like a pretty custom object. I'd say it was done with Rhino or Blender or something similar... It would be cool if it was done with the Grasshopper Rhino plug-in (my current obsession) but I havent seen any Grasshopper designs similar to this.

It kind of looks like the original designer created a faceted vase design, and twisted it...

Looks like a fun challenge though! Like Frederick Law said - don't bother with dimensioning and constrained everything in SolidWorks... Anyway This looks like something other software might be better suited for... unless your computer is faster than mine! :D