Solid Edge sketch dimensioning

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

Solid Edge sketch dimensioning

Unread post by matt »

For SW users who have used SE, what do you think of the sketch dimensions? Were you able to get the dimensions that you wanted? How many buttons did you have to push to get what you wanted? Did you throw your chair through the monitor or call someone or test it for 30 minutes to get the right dimension?

For SE users: WTF? How do you use these dimension settings? That's not rhetorical (maybe we need a color for rhetorical)... What are your basic assumptions that you use to dimension sketches doing anything aside from basic horizontal and vertical linear dimensions?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Solid Edge sketch dimensioning

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am For SW users who have used SE, what do you think of the sketch dimensions? Were you able to get the dimensions that you wanted? How many buttons did you have to push to get what you wanted? Did you throw your chair through the monitor or call someone or test it for 30 minutes to get the right dimension?

For SE users: WTF? How do you use these dimension settings? That's not rhetorical (maybe we need a color for rhetorical)... What are your basic assumptions that you use to dimension sketches doing anything aside from basic horizontal and vertical linear dimensions?
I can always get what I want. And yes, my monitor is still intact. :lol:

There are a few things to remember:

-SE likes keypoints. It is often quicker and easier to dimension to them instead of lines, and I've never had it lose a reference.
-For a quick angle dimension, select the line you want to modify and press "A". Done.
-To jump from orthogonal to shortest distance, press Shift.
-RMB to clear selection without exiting dimension tool.

On a side note: I tend to have a build-up of frustration with SE throughout the day, most of it due to little quirks and idiosyncrasies. (German programmers, anyone?). When that happens, I jump over to SWX for an hour or so and quickly forgive SE. o[
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:31 am I can always get what I want. And yes, my monitor is still intact. :lol:

There are a few things to remember:

-For a quick angle dimension, select the line you want to modify and press "A". Done.
-To jump from orthogonal to shortest distance, press Shift.
Where did you learn some of this stuff?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:49 am Where did you learn some of this stuff?
The PromptBar.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I found it ok once I got used to it. The prompts in SE are top notch usually but the workflow can take some trial and error. It's not as easy as SW in my opinion but that could be just because I haven't used SE day in day out.
Jason