More multibody questions

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

More multibody questions

Unread post by matt »

image.png
image.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Are these and the Part Copy command the main multibody tools in SE?
Imics13
Answers: 0

Re: More multibody questions

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi @matt,

Yes, these are and don't forget Context RMB menu on a body in feature tree.

Why did you ask this?

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
matt

Unread post by matt »

Imics13 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 am Hi @matt,

Yes, these are and don't forget Context RMB menu on a body in feature tree.

Why did you ask this?

BR,
Oh, yeah, thanks for the context menu bit. I forgot about that.

Why do I ask? Because I'm a curious guy, of course!

Or maybe because I'm writing something? Sometimes I do that.
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi @matt,

Here is a short video to multibody modeling when you can use inactivated part to cut it out and other modeling operation.

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
matt

Unread post by matt »

Imics13 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:13 am Hi @matt,

Here is a short video to multibody modeling when you can use inactivated part to cut it out and other modeling operation.

BR,
Thanks for that! That really helps with some of the fine detail on how to work with bodies. Maybe the SE body implementation isn't as barbaric as I thought it was. There are some cool aspects to it.

Just for any non-SE user who is following along at home, I got a screen shot of the critical moment with the labels shown on the vertical CommandBar, amd those button he was showing were "Cut Active" and "Select Cut Bodies". This allows that cut feature to cut an inactive body. Actually, you can also prevent it from cutting the active body. The Body Selection Step allows you to select which bodies to cut, kind of like the SW Feature Scope.

Just in case anyone is watching, it would be less unsettling for existing SW users if SE had selection list boxes so you could tell what kinds of entities are selected for the current feature or function. It feels like jumping into a pool blindfolded without a list of what's selected.
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

Just one more question on this. I could do the body selection in Ordered, but how do you do it in sync?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:47 am
Just in case anyone is watching, it would be less unsettling for existing SW users if SE had selection list boxes so you could tell what kinds of entities are selected for the current feature or function. It feels like jumping into a pool blindfolded without a list of what's selected.

image.png
Yeah, this is one area of SE that I don't like, everything is icon driven and you don't easily see what was selected.
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:55 pm Yeah, this is one area of SE that I don't like, everything is icon driven and you don't easily see what was selected.
I agree; the learning curve is definitely steeper, but I can already tell that the view is good at the top. :lol:

There are several valuable resources to use (at least until you're more familiar with the program):
- the "some assistance" theme that shows text along with the icons.
- tooltips while hovering over an icon.
- the PromptBar. This one is a big deal!
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm I agree; the learning curve is definitely steeper, but I can already tell that the view is good at the top. :lol:

There are several valuable resources to use (at least until you're more familiar with the program):
- the "some assistance" theme that shows text along with the icons.
- tooltips while hovering over an icon.
- the PromptBar. This one is a big deal!
Yeah, I've always used the Some Assistance theme. Tooltips are good, some even have little animations in them. The promptbar is a definite. I also use the command finder thing.

You have to keep aware that the interface is set up to direct the workflow, and it's definitely more structured than works. The lack of selection list boxes trips me up frequently.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

matt wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:09 am Just one more question on this. I could do the body selection in Ordered, but how do you do it in sync?
After you project your extrusion with the select bodies option set, it will show the bodies selected in green that were intersected, just use CTRL+click to add/remove (read the prompt bar).