meaning of the term "peer"

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

meaning of the term "peer"

Unread post by matt »

There are some things in SE that I'm a little slow on the uptake. The use of the word "peer" is one of those. I kind of vaguely get that a "peer" is a part in an assembly related somehow to the part currently being considered.

There are several concepts or commands with the word "peer" in the name. Can anyone kind of outline how the word is used and the various contexts in which it is used?

- peer edge locate
- peer silhouette locate
- peer variables
KennyG
Answers: 7

Re: meaning of the term "peer"

Unread post by KennyG »

matt wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:19 am There are several concepts or commands with the word "peer" in the name. Can anyone kind of outline how the word is used and the various contexts in which it is used?

- peer edge locate
- peer silhouette locate
- peer variables
Peer is typically used in the context of assembly to refer to components that are at the same level. You could actually replace "Peer" with "Component" and it still mean the same thing.
Peer Edge Locate - Allows locating the edges of other components typically while sketching. Turn it off and you can't locate them for instance while drawing a line.
Peer Silhouette Locate - Same as above, but filters the virtual "horizon" edge of say the side of a cylinder.
Peer Variable - Allows accessing the variable table of selected component.
matt

Unread post by matt »

KennyG wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:38 am Peer is typically used in the context of assembly to refer to components that are at the same level. You could actually replace "Peer" with "Component" and it still mean the same thing.
Peer Edge Locate - Allows locating the edges of other components typically while sketching. Turn it off and you can't locate them for instance while drawing a line.
Peer Silhouette Locate - Same as above, but filters the virtual "horizon" edge of say the side of a cylinder.
Peer Variable - Allows accessing the variable table of selected component.
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Are there other settings or commands or options where it uses the peer concept? Those were the only ones I found using the Command Finder.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

matt wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:51 am Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Are there other settings or commands or options where it uses the peer concept? Those were the only ones I found using the Command Finder.
I think that is about it other than here is a Component Edge Locate in the Part env that turns locate ON/OFF for it's own geometry while sketching.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

I thought you accidently wrote Peer instead of Beer UU
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
matt

Unread post by matt »

gupta9665 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:07 am I thought you accidently wrote Peer instead of Beer UU
Yeah, I need more beer talking about peers.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:18 am Yeah, I need more beer talking about peers.
This settles it, we have PDM state called "Engineering Peer Review". I think I'll change it to "Beer" and see who notices.
Jason