Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:31 pm I think that's where Dassault poops on your idea?
WePoo?
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Why 3DEXPERIENCE World?

'3DEXPERIENCE World brings a vibrant community of designers, engineers, entrepreneurs and business leaders together to learn, engage, share knowledge and drive innovation, around our 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS portfolio, for our SOLIDWORKS customers.'

https://3dexperienceworld.com/

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o[
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Eventually I see this kind of stuff on reddit and the official forum, and it is difficult to believe that people cant even download the three dimensional experience:
image.png
Did they go to high and set it on 4D? ()
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Is DSS big enough to completely fail at the 3dexperience, and not take Solidworks down with it?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 am Is DSS big enough to completely fail at the 3dexperience, and not take Solidworks down with it?
Well, it depends on your definitions of "fail" and what you mean by "take SW down with it".

I think this will be a gradual decline, not something that happens overnight. The more they transition SW to 3DXP, the more people will drop off. (We're leaning toward IV at this point). I don't think they'll do something stupid like Adobe did with Photoshop and just draw a line in the sand. I'd be interested to see what happened when they did that to their sales numbers... Anecdotally, I wanted to buy Photoshop for my wife, but wouldn't buy that cloud crap. So we ended up settling on PS Elements. And I recently bought her Affinity Photo. Though she hasn't really used it yet.
The guy teaching the photography class we took had some very old version (probably the last non-cloud version). And I looked online on ebay and non-cloud versions were going for something like $2k at the time.
mattpeneguy

Lucas wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:39 am Eventually I see this kind of stuff on reddit and the official forum, and it is difficult to believe that people cant even download the three dimensional experience:

image.png

I couldn't help myself:
image.png
viewtopic.php?p=14689#p14689

Edit to Add:
BTW, finding that thread and opening it was not trivial. I was able to search and find it, but to open it was convoluted...I'm not sure I could do it again, but after about 30 seconds I was able to get it open...FAIL!
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

This one I ended up saving lol
image.png
image.png
Search for refund for absolute win **
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

image.png
Jason
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:20 pmimage.png
Please post that over at:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... FL6C8_ukuw
jcapriotti

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:24 pm Please post that over at:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... FL6C8_ukuw
I generally don't go there anymore.....you're welcome to post though.
Jason
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

anyone notice how all the post over there are being submitted to "idea" and then in the comments later it says that they are out of the idea post?

i love watching that place work well
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Ben wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:28 pm anyone notice how all the post over there are being submitted to "idea" and then in the comments later it says that they are out of the idea post?

i love watching that place work well
Yep! Check this out.
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... PvIA4ITpcw

I participate in their forum user "focus group". My meeting moniker is Dennis: BAD COP!
I don't love busting their chops, but they make it so easy!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:51 pm Yep! Check this out.

I participate in their forum user "focus group". My meeting moniker is Dennis: BAD COP!
I think Mr. HALL might be ready to entertain this Idea of yours.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:57 pm I think Mr. HALL might be ready to entertain this Idea of yours.
His hands are tied. Unfortunately for him, he is our contact person so he has to put up with all the aggravation from multiple fronts. (Including from me! :lol: )
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Yep! Check this out.

I like how he managed to re-label the idea about labeling ideas ;;
image.png
image.png (16.64 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
RichGergely

Lucas wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:43 am This one I ended up saving lol

image.png
image.png

Search for refund for absolute win **

image.png
They figured out pretty quick how to get students to buy '3DExperiment :roll: ', just offer it at $40 less. What student wouldn't go for that if they thought they were getting the same thing.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Lucas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:27 pm I like how he managed to re-label the idea about labeling ideas ;;

image.png
In fact, this issue had been bought up multiple times.
Each time the idea of removing or moving the idea funnel got pushed aside or rejected

Now we have one person that need to spend his days Outing idea because of bad interface design.

hhhh

"The user needs help. Just the right things have to be visible: to indicate what parts operate and how, to indicate how the user is to interact with the device...

Failure to design with constraints is one reason for all those warnings and attempts to give instruction. "
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

RichGergely wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:16 pm They figured out pretty quick how to get students to buy '3DExperiment :roll: ', just offer it at $40 less. What student wouldn't go for that if they thought they were getting the same thing.
Should be free for students and makers IMHO. Those ppl help creating content and improve the community. I don't know how many companies do that, but Siemens offers both SE and NX for free. .-.

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:22 pm Now we have one person that need to spend his days Outing idea because of bad interface design.
Maybe the guy assigned to do that is not willing to do something else lol
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

@Lucas, I just searched for "refund" myself. 431 results, and 79 from just this year. <()>
2021-11-09 07_59_07.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy

mike miller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:01 am @Lucas, I just searched for "refund" myself. 431 results, and 79 from just this year. <()>

2021-11-09 07_59_07.jpg
What is the refund request/total users quotient?...Maybe that's why everyone over there has 4 or 5 accounts, to dilute this ratio?
mattpeneguy

Lucas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:16 pm Should be free for students and makers IMHO. Those ppl help creating content and improve the community. I don't know how many companies do that, but Siemens offers both SE and NX for free. .-.

Maybe the guy assigned to do that is not willing to do something else lol
What I find interesting is that the Makers version can't be opened in commercial SW. I understand the educational file marking, but to never be able to open a file in the commercial version is an interesting choice. I wonder about the reasoning behind that decision.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:05 pm His hands are tied. Unfortunately for him, he is our contact person so he has to put up with all the aggravation from multiple fronts. (Including from me! :lol: )
Oh yeah for sure. I didn't intend to put blame on him. I was just thinking about all the ideas he marks as out because he cannot just change them to a question. I wondered if he was asking for a macro to do that for him.
Actually, I feel a bit bad for the guy, he's been assigned to polish a turd that someone higher up believes is the greatest creation ever.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:15 am Actually, I feel a bit bad for the guy, he's been assigned to polish a turd that someone higher up believes is the greatest creation ever.
That's called leadership right?
image.png
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:23 am That's called leadership right?

image.png
I don't know, there's good leaders, there must be another word that conveys a blend of position of authority with disconnect and arrogant ignorance. That's the word I would use.

Once a long time ago when being told/shown how I was doing it wrong and how to do it correctly I used a line something like, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to dumb it down for me. I'm too stupid to see the brilliance in what you're suggesting." That guy left a lasting impression.
mike miller

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:31 am I don't know, there's good leaders, there must be another word that conveys a blend of position of authority with disconnect and arrogant ignorance. That's the word I would use.

Once a long time ago when being told/shown how I was doing it wrong and how to do it correctly I used a line something like, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to dumb it down for me. I'm too stupid to see the brilliance in what you're suggesting." That guy left a lasting impression.
Ya'll are forgetting that DSS is a French company, where surrender is a virtue. According to legend, the French army nearly lost WWII when the Germans bombed their white flag factory.....
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy

mike miller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:33 am Ya'll are forgetting that DSS is a French company, where surrender is a virtue. According to legend, the French army nearly lost WWII when the Germans bombed their white flag factory.....
Sure wish they'd surrender their platform.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:31 am I don't know, there's good leaders, there must be another word that conveys a blend of position of authority with disconnect and arrogant ignorance. That's the word I would use.

When one of the engineers here goes into a long-winded explanation full of $10.00 words, then asks "Did that make sense?" my standard reply is "Probably, but I didn't understand it."
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:54 am Sure wish they'd surrender their platform.
Instead they are trying to steamroll us with it.
Jason
mattpeneguy

LOL...Just went over to https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... ut-q1X_9uA
and it appears 3/4 of the questions are from people who can't even use the Makers version of SW. They either can't figure out how to install it, are having issues running it, or can't find the installation media...It's worse than it was last week when someone posted about it.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:18 am What I find interesting is that the Makers version can't be opened in commercial SW. I understand the educational file marking, but to never be able to open a file in the commercial version is an interesting choice. I wonder about the reasoning behind that decision.
It's not possible to share files on forums, right? Guess the online version is more useless then expected, then.
Just found another limitation:
image.png
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

How do you market a product as a replacement for an existing product, when it doesn't support so many features?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy

SPerman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:20 am How do you market a product as a replacement for an existing product, when it doesn't support so many features?
They've got precedence they're working from...Just look at Structure Systems. It's supposed to be the replacement for Weldments, but when they rolled it out there were huge problems. IIRC, you couldn't even propagate cutlist info to drawings (cutlist may not have even existed when they first rolled it out.)

I fell for the hype on SS and gave it a test drive until I experienced some of the fundamental shortcomings and gave up on it.

Every once in a while I'll post somewhere and ask if Structure Systems is ready for production use. All I ever get is crickets.

So, it's no surprise to me that the Makers edition doesn't support virtual components. So what exactly is the Makers version? Is there a product matrix that shows what it does and doesn't do?...It's probably a moot point for me because I'll probably just move over to Onshape whenever my HUL finally ends, but it may be of use to others.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Lucas wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm It's not possible to share files on forums, right? Guess the online version is more useless then expected, then.
Just found another limitation:
image.png
"Maker/Connected" Solidworks ? Is "Connected" another term for "Maker" or does "Connected Solidworks" refer to the cloud Solidworks, which really isn't Solidworks. These people would fail at naming cardboard boxes!

Anyway, so any assembly edits >must< propagate back to the part? How could that part be used in multiple places that don't have the same assembly operations?
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

bnemec wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am "Maker/Connected" Solidworks ? Is "Connected" another term for "Maker" or does "Connected Solidworks" refer to the cloud Solidworks, which really isn't Solidworks. These people would fail at naming cardboard boxes!

Anyway, so any assembly edits >must< propagate back to the part? How could that part be used in multiple places that don't have the same assembly operations?
They could use Solidworks Cloud (or Online), but I guess DSS wanted us to have this 3d experience ()

Maybe the assembly updates the part and that's it, you will have to create with different names? (I have never used it, so I don't know either)

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am I'll probably just move over to Onshape whenever my HUL finally ends
May I ask why Onshape?
jcapriotti

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am It's probably a moot point for me because I'll probably just move over to Onshape whenever my HUL finally ends, but it may be of use to others.
Onshape got picked up by PTC, not sure I trust them any more than Dassault. If Desktopworks looked like it would go away, I'd say Solid Edge for sure since Siemens doesn't seem to be playing the cloud game.
Jason
mike miller

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am Onshape got picked up by PTC, not sure I trust them any more than Dassault. If Desktopworks looked like it would go away, I'd say Solid Edge for sure since Siemens doesn't seem to be playing the cloud game.
Dan Staples said that "Solid Edge will never be cloud-based, unlike our competition" (paraphrased from memory). I don't trust Siemens very far, but I trust Dassault, Autodesk, and PTC even less.

SE has a ton of quirks and irritations, but overall I'm less stressed and more productive with it than SWX.
mattpeneguy

Lucas wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:19 am They could use Solidworks Cloud (or Online), but I guess DSS wanted us to have this 3d experience ()

Maybe the assembly updates the part and that's it, you will have to create with different names? (I have never used it, so I don't know either)

May I ask why Onshape?
It's free for personal use and for home projects/3d printing it does everything I need. Using SW was just easy because I know how to use it.
The Onshape cloud is a little foreign to me, but it's nothing like the disaster that the 3DXP place is.

For work, if we switch, it looks like the best bet is IV because they are actually targeting the transportation industry from some of the emails I have been seeing. SE and SW don't have interest in the least in the industry as far as I can tell.
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:52 pm For work, if we switch, it looks like the best bet is IV because they are actually targeting the transportation industry from some of the emails I have been seeing. SE and SW don't have interest in the least in the industry as far as I can tell.
Yup, I agree. SE is devoted to winning the machine design sector, which is awesome for us. :D IV seems to be devoted to construction and some machine design. 3DX is devoted to landing contracts with C-level executives at Fortune 500 companies. *sigh*
jcapriotti

mike miller wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 pm Yup, I agree. SE is devoted to winning the machine design sector, which is awesome for us. :D IV seems to be devoted to construction and some machine design. 3DX is devoted to landing contracts with C-level executives at Fortune 500 companies. *sigh*
SW was devoted to just winning. Then the Dassault execs got bored and thought, "How can we entertain ourselves? I know, let's kill our cash cow and build a social media cad platform collaboration plantation. They can run it on their phone anywhere, just like how we've been managing the company from our yachts."
Jason
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

TTL going well so far this year :shock:
image.png
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:51 pm Yep! Check this out.

So Dennis, DS parked your qu-idea in the "Parking Lot", but where?
image.png

Oh, here it is!
image.png
mattpeneguy

dave.laban wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:15 am TTL going well so far this year :shock:
image.png
image.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Oh, good they've got an instructional video on how to do it!...I'll be sure to watch it and participate...
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 pm Yup, I agree. SE is devoted to winning the machine design sector, which is awesome for us. :D IV seems to be devoted to construction and some machine design. 3DX is devoted to landing contracts with C-level executives at Fortune 500 companies. *sigh*
hhhh

That's pretty grim. We don't fit into any of those.
RichGergely

mike miller wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:54 am Dan Staples said that "Solid Edge will never be cloud-based, unlike our competition" (paraphrased from memory). I don't trust Siemens very far, but I trust Dassault, Autodesk, and PTC even less.

SE has a ton of quirks and irritations, but overall I'm less stressed and more productive with it than SWX.
Easy to say when a slight name change is all that is needed to save face 'Solid cloud'.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Lucas wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:39 am Eventually I see this kind of stuff on reddit and the official forum, and it is difficult to believe that people cant even download the three dimensional experience:

image.png

Sometimes makes you wonder if Bobby Kotick bought shares in Dassault or something.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Screenshot 2021-11-19 151217.png
The reasoning does not make sense to me. Very salty.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

ICYMI, you can now sort the community feeds on 3DSwym by "latest activity", i.e. topics most recently posted to will bubble to the top. They haven't made it the default view but this makes it a slightly less unbearable place to navigate and able to keep popular topics more visible.
image.png
ResidentAtLarge

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

Can you guys imagine the thoughts going through these people's mind when they try solidworks for the first time and start having these problems and then asking for a refund immediately? This is a forsure way to push your audience away and never want to look back ever. They are just helping the competition.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:15 am Can you guys imagine the thoughts going through these people's mind when they try solidworks for the first time and start having these problems and then asking for a refund immediately? This is a forsure way to push your audience away and never want to look back ever. They are just helping the competition.
"Try using Solidworks... ...and ask for refund immediately"
Crap, I didn't think about that. Was too late by the time I had the idea.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

berg_lauritz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:24 pm Screenshot 2021-11-19 151217.png

The reasoning does not make sense to me. Very salty.
Wow <()> I'm completely baffled by that one.

"We're going to let this one stay because you're the one who reported it and you're also the one who peed in our cereals. That'll teach you!"

The society we're living is is feeling more and more like an accurate representation of the movie idiocracy