Super slow graphics in only one part.

mike miller
Answers: 7

Super slow graphics in only one part.

Unread post by mike miller »

Has anyone ever seen this before? I have a single sheet metal part- one body.......fresh (2018) template.....VOR is off......no errors......no massive memory leak in Task Manager. But when I edit the Base-Flange sketch it takes 10-15 seconds from selection until the context menu with relations appears. It is only this part and no others and it was doing the same thing yesterday even though my computer rebooted since then.

All selections and dimensions are slow in this sketch, but the real timesucker is Ctrl selecting multiple entities. Try waiting 10 seconds until you can pick entities to relate......it's so long that it's easy to forget what I was going to do! <()>
2021-12-02 10_46_14.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Super slow graphics in only one part.

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Without further information or the part, I'm going to guess it's a PEBCAK error...
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:52 pm Without further information or the part, I'm going to guess it's a PEBCAK error...
Ahem. :shock:

:mrgreen:

Here's the part; look at Base-Flange1>Sketch1. It's ugly.....it came from a configured part that was broken into individuals and I have yet to fix the "cut a hole, add material, cut it away again" junk.
Attachments
SC16 Universal Diesel Mount.SLDPRT
(533.01 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

???? This is what SW 2020 says:
image.png
RMcHugh
Answers: 1

Unread post by RMcHugh »

Nearly instant in 2021 SP3. fwiw.
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm ???? This is what SW 2020 says:
image.png
That's what happens when you're living in a cave. It's a 2021 version.
RMcHugh wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm Nearly instant in 2021 SP3. fwiw.
I'm starting to suspect my SWX install is corrupt. I need to upgrade to 2022 to get rid of all my bugs and enter the brave new world. Dimension boxes have been lagging about two seconds for a few months, long enough that I'm done typing before the box shows up. **
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I had an issue similar to this. It turned out that I had network slowness issues.

Specifically, in my system options under File locations.

Once I copied all the stuff that was referenced there locally on my hard drive, then remapped the locations to the local files, the problem pretty much went away.

I am not sure why solidworks is checking these locations every single time you click on a component in an assembly, but it is.

Here is my original post from the Solidworks forum as pressed through the Swamp

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... lTl-RLJAvw
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mike miller

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:24 pm I had an issue similar to this. It turned out that I had network slowness issues.

Specifically, in my system options under File locations.

Once I copied all the stuff that was referenced there locally on my hard drive, then remapped the locations to the local files, the problem pretty much went away.

I am not sure why solidworks is checking these locations every single time you click on a component in an assembly, but it is.

Here is my original post from the Solidworks forum as pressed through the Swamp

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... lTl-RLJAvw
Interesting. So I can't have any file references pointing to a network at all. I certainly can't foresee any problems with that.....
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:22 pm That's what happens when you're living in a cave. It's a 2021 version.

I'm starting to suspect my SWX install is corrupt. I need to upgrade to 2022 to get rid of all my bugs and enter the brave new world. Dimension boxes have been lagging about two seconds for a few months, long enough that I'm done typing before the box shows up. **
That sounds familiar to something we dealt with. Do you have PDM and Solid Edge installed by chance? If you restart Solidworks is it normal speed for a little while then continues to slow down with usage?
mike miller

bnemec wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 pm That sounds familiar to something we dealt with. Do you have PDM and Solid Edge installed by chance? If you restart Solidworks is it normal speed for a little while then continues to slow down with usage?
I have SE installed and running. That should speed up SWX, not? Restarting doesn't work, because it's crashed today and it's still the same. The weird part is; it is ONLY for that part. All other parts are fine.

No PDM except for Teamcenter on a dev VM.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm I have SE installed and running. That should speed up SWX, not? Restarting doesn't work, because it's crashed today and it's still the same. The weird part is; it is ONLY for that part. All other parts are fine.

No PDM except for Teamcenter on a dev VM.
OK, Never mind, probably not related. It is strange that it's just that one file.

I just have 2019 installed so cannot open, you have other similar workstation to try that file on? Is the file local or on a network? It does kind of sound like corrupt install. Then again, it could be that you're not running certified hardware/drivers...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Here it is in 2022sp0. No issues that I can see.

CPU: 17-9700k
RAM: 16GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 super 8gb
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500gb

DieselMount.gif
Jason
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Here is fine too. SW 2021 SP5.1
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mike miller wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:57 pm Ahem. :shock:

:mrgreen:

Here's the part; look at Base-Flange1>Sketch1. It's ugly.....it came from a configured part that was broken into individuals and I have yet to fix the "cut a hole, add material, cut it away again" junk.
hmm,.. seems fine. your resolve time is/was 0.20sec? (that's a issue?) (mine, a slower/older machine resolves in 0.30sec)
btw, I have had this issue in the past and honestly do know know why it happens but it's usually with surface trims or imported data.
anyhow... I can not see what is wrong?
Attachments
20secs.png
30sec.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mike miller

zxys001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:01 am hmm,.. seems fine. your resolve time is/was 0.20sec? (that's a issue?) (mine, a slower/older machine resolves in 0.30sec)
btw, I have had this issue in the past and honestly do know know why it happens but it's usually with surface trims or imported data.
anyhow... I can not see what is wrong?
That's the weirdness. The resolve time is just fine, but editing the base sketch is extremely tedious (10 second delay for multiple entity selection).
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mike miller wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:51 am That's the weirdness. The resolve time is just fine, but editing the base sketch is extremely tedious (10 second delay for multiple entity selection).
Mike,..yeah, I believe you're seeing a delay.. and I was hoping I could get that sketch too stall....I opened it 3X..moved dims.. grabbed all the entities..looked at the relations...nothing?
Capture/Record and send to the VAR...and yell at the sky. grumph
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

mike miller wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:34 pm Interesting. So I can't have any file references pointing to a network at all. I certainly can't foresee any problems with that.....
Did you read the post that I linked? If you can, try to check out what is spiking in your performance tab graphs in your task manager when the delay hits. If it is your network/ethernet, then I would guess that you have a similar problem to what I had.

If not, then its something else.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14