Let 3DSwym be, for better or worse.

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Let 3DSwym be, for better or worse.

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

Am I the only one that thinks that CADForum should move on from 3DSwym? THE 3DExperience post (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=53) is consistently active on the forum, and has what I could imagine the most posts and views of any on this site. At a glance, I see references to it on other topics, as well.

I should preface: I COMPLETELY understand all of the gripes about 3DExperience/3DSwym. Every single one. I personally still frequent the site because I want to try to help people when I can, and learn some new things, as I often do when browsing forums (yes, even there). At what point will new users come to this forum to see a 50-page 3DExperience circlejerk (for lack of a better word) post that's been active for a whole year?

I know, I'm just a guy that none of you have heard of, but I recognize each of your names from the old forum. All of you OG's came here to avoid the mess of that site. Why not cut ties, revisit later, and when it's inevitably still absolute trash, ignore it? That horse is dead, beaten, and rotting. I say we let it be, and move on.

Matt put an incredible amount of effort into creating this forum, and continually trashing another particular site, using this forum that he's provided us, puts a bad taste in my mouth. IMO, the best way to thank Matt for what he's done is to let go of 3DExperience, or at least don't keep it alive on this forum.

Just wanted to open some discussion on the topic; this post is in no way trying to disrespect anyone here. Hope this makes sense. Please don't hurt me too badly.
Austin
Tom G
Answers: 0

Re: Let 3DSwym be, for better or worse.

Unread post by Tom G »

I agree. It doesn't improve or change anything - and we've seen that progress is slow, if any at all.
You've put in words what I've been thinking through the past few months. Your mind is apparently more polite than mine.

The only reason I visit Swym anymore is if someone links something there, which answers a question further.
I admit that I view the 3DSwym thread here when it pops up. It is hard to look away from a dumpster fire, but fairly easy not to add to it.

Change is hard. Growth is harder.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

You made some good points. I know I've been as guilty as anyone of bashing that mess over there, and should just let it go. Like you, I still frequent that site because I enjoy helping people solve their problems, and plan to continue, but I guess every time I do it's like ripping off the band-aid.

That situation over there is frustrating, and when I'm frustrated it seems to help to share it with other people who understand. I can't speak for others, but I will back off.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Let's be careful that our rubber-necking doesn't cause this train to jump the rails. Train wrecks are interesting to watch, but not at the expense of losing sight of your own mission.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Austin Schukar

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:58 pm You made some good points. I know I've been as guilty as anyone of bashing that mess over there, and should just let it go. Like you, I still frequent that site because I enjoy helping people solve their problems, and plan to continue, but I guess every time I do it's like ripping off the band-aid.

That situation over there is frustrating, and when I'm frustrated it seems to help to share it with other people who understand. I can't speak for others, but I will back off.
Thanks, Glenn. I want to stress that I wasn't pointing this at anyone in particular. I'm absolutely guilty of ripping on it as well.

There's got to be another productive way to voice everyone's frustrations, but, to me, it's not clear what that would be.
Austin
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Tom G wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:53 pm I agree. It doesn't improve or change anything - and we've seen that progress is slow, if any at all.
You've put in words what I've been thinking through the past few months. Your mind is apparently more polite than mine.

The only reason I visit Swym anymore is if someone links something there, which answers a question further.
I admit that I view the 3DSwym thread here when it pops up. It is hard to look away from a dumpster fire, but fairly easy not to add to it.

Change is hard. Growth is harder. 3DXP is hardest.
Okay, okay, I couldn't help myself...they just make it so easy...I'll stop, really...sorry @matt, I've probably been one of the biggest contributors.

Unfortunately we are going to have to deal with the platform one way or another because it's where the KB will be moved as well as our license admin dashboard. So, you can't just cut yourself loose from dealing with it, or you won't be able to manage those things soon. But to the point at hand, this place probably isn't the place to focus on something that isn't CAD related (whining about a platform) as was correctly pointed out very well in the OP.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I agree. There's better and more productive things in life to do other than bash another company's work or lack thereof.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
RichGergely
Answers: 0

Unread post by RichGergely »

I'm 50/50 on this. I understand 'what is the point' talking about the 3DExperience but just as valid is 3DExperience has become part of Solidworks and is hard to ignore.

I would break it down into this at the moment-

1. The largest part of Solidworks that is getting developed is the 3DExperience, so it's bound to get discussed. Unfortunately there is not a lot of love for it.

2. I would admit probably too much chat has been on the 'forum' part of 3Dexperienece.

3. If you want to take part in the TTL you have to use the 'forum' part 3DExperienece. No surprise people are complaining about that.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I completely agree. And while I have tried to step back from it, I have found myself indulging in the finger pointing on occasion.

Thank you for making this so eloquent!!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Maybe @matt would like to just lock that thread?
Austin Schukar

@mattpeneguy & @RichGergely, very fair points. You guys are right, we are always going to have to associate with the platform. One way or another.
Austin
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I agree, I've refrained most of my comments about that platform from coming out, but it's hard when it's constantly being referenced. Also, concidering that it is what SolidWorks will most likely become, it's somewhat hard to avoid speaking of it.

I do agree though, that constantly just nagging on about it, brings nothing positive to neither side, and that rather then speaking negatively about what there is over there, we should speak about all the positive things @matt brings to the table for us over here. That also gives a different narative for different perspectives.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:25 pm Maybe @matt would like to just lock that thread?
Early on in this forum's long, looooong history, I made the argument, along with others, that we should just move on, and let it Sink or Swym on its own. I still believe that.

But I also realize that there are some people who show up here possibly primarily to kvetch about Swym. And success is sometimes measured by attendance. I think that if all the Swym critics stopped paying Swym so much attention, even if it's negative attention, that would either cause change or cause collapse. Going over there and coming back here and kvetching only supports Swym's irrational image of itself. Numbers lie. Statistics being the worst of all. SEO and people who interpret internet stats are some of the most self deluded people ever. I personally am ignoring Swym, and hope it just fades away into nothingness. I believe they have missed the boat technologically and in understanding the people behind the market. The vision is through a cracked lens. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE IGNORING YOU. I'm usually the guy who states the obvious, and sometimes people really need that because they for whatever reason, can't see it themselves. You should spend your time, your money, and your attention on something else. The people and company that created SolidWorks and all the cool events and people that brought together is GONE. It isn't coming back. Hirschtick is trying with Onshape, but it just doesn't have the same mojo.

You should know that I don't have an installed license of any DS product. All of that magic - as a product, as a company, as a group of people - was all gone about 10 years ago.

So.

I believe that we should find other things to talk about than Swym and 3DX, and in fact that almost anything is a better thing to talk about. And there's a lot to talk about. But, I'm not going to go so far as to block it or shut it down, or silence all of that noise. Eventually it will quiet itself. The sooner the better. For those of you who have recently moved to SW - really sorry about that.

I created this place to be open to ideas, and that's what it is, even if I don't agree with the ideas. But there are other ideas, and I recommend you don't get stuck in the past. Move on. You can move on right here. Be inquisitive about something. Trying to CPR life back into something that was worthwhile 15 years ago is a waste of your time, money, energy, career...
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:21 pm <snip>You should know that I don't have an installed license of any DS product. <snip>
So we can assume you're using a cracked copy of SWX, right?

Does anyone know if they still hand out rewards for tattling?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:24 pm So we can assume you're using a cracked copy of SWX, right?

Does anyone know if they still hand out rewards for tattling?
Ok, that was funny. Rewards for tattling? Yeah, a bucket of tar and a sack of feathers tu

No, no cracked SW. I bought a license and it was current up to 2013 when they actually refunded my maintenance money just to get rid of me. I suppose I could reinstall that if I really wanted to.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when they turn off Online Licensing in the next couple of months. At that point I'll be forced off of my HUL and will either be using Onshape or something else for hobby uses...And it won't be SW Makers or whatever edition I can't spend the time to investigate because it's too convoluted to figure out what it actually is. I think there will be a lot of people are going to jump ship like me for home use at that point.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

yeah, maybe leave reminder image of what it has become and close it?
Attachments
giphy.gif
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau