Duplicate a part with dependenties

Schtiggltiz
Answers: 0

Duplicate a part with dependenties

Unread post by Schtiggltiz »

Hello everyone !

My problem :
I want to create a part based on an otherone, and then apply some modification on it.
Once done, I could add drills (for exmaple) without any modification on my primary part. But if I modify the primary part, the "daugther" one will also be modified.

The only solution I currently have is :
- Create a symmetrical part (insert -> symmetrical part)
- Create an other symmetrical part from the first one
That is it, I have my copy of the primary part, which will change if I apply any change on the primary one. This method is not optimised and presents some disadvantages (for example the update is time consumming).

Do you have any advice ?

Thanks in advance guys !

Hugo
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Duplicate a part with dependenties

Unread post by mike miller »

You could try "part in part". Open a new part file, go to Insert>Part and select the master you want to reference. This opens a dialog that allows you to choose exactly what you want to bring into the new part (solids, surfaces, sketches, planes, etc.).
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Schtiggltiz
Answers: 0

Unread post by Schtiggltiz »

Hello Mike,

That's it, it works perfectly !
Thank you for your time and advice, have a good day.
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

mike miller wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:18 pm You could try "part in part". Open a new part file, go to Insert>Part and select the master you want to reference. This opens a dialog that allows you to choose exactly what you want to bring into the new part (solids, surfaces, sketches, planes, etc.).
Ditto try Insert Part, use it all the time.

One of our products has a pressed on cover, so insert the housing into the cover file to create the grooves for the press fit.

Also use it to create assembly fixtures.