Solid Edge nifty features

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: Solid Edge nifty features

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:42 am Here is a video showing the different steering wheel commands (Extend/Trim, Lift, and Tip). Understanding how these work is very valuable when working in Sync.

Here is a help topic on it that does a good job of explaining the differences.
https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... verotate1d
Attached is a really handy poster I keep on my desk regarding steering wheel shortcuts and relationships.
Attachments
Solid Edge QRC.pdf
(278.05 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

I just discovered this today. Horizontal/Vertical face relationships can be defined by the orientation of reference planes, including from Csys.

><
Attachments
SE face relationships.mp4
(9.6 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mike miller

Something I discovered a long time ago, but really came to appreciate recently: Occurrence Properties. This is somewhat like SWX Component Properties in an assembly, but way more powerful.
2021-12-23 08_12_51.jpg
You can add your own columns, configure them with dropdowns, set defaults, and even create custom tooltips. All the settings are controlled by a .XML file that can be stored centrally.

:shock:

Edit to add: Forgot to mention- this is also where you tell the software whether or not to show an occurrence/instance on a drawing and/or a BOM, calculate physical properties in the assembly, analyze interference, display in a higher level assembly, override the quantity, and allow it to be selected in the assembly. Now for the cream on top: custom attributes like BOM ID, Notes, etc. can be set as local or global inside the .XML file. Local means "make it apply in this assembly only". Global means "make it propagate upward so higher levels can see it too".

Also, if an occurrence is underdefined, you can position its translation and rotation using the coordinate values.

All this in one place. I like it.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I like the "Lock Rotation" options in mate dialogs. Much simpler than the SW methods.
image.png
image.png (22.31 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:46 am I like the "Lock Rotation" options in mate dialogs. Much simpler than the SW methods.

image.png
UU
One single like is not sufficient.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:46 am I like the "Lock Rotation" options in mate dialogs. Much simpler than the SW methods.

image.png
I guess I'm missing something, how is it different? In SW it's check box instead of two buttons. In the popup or Property Mgr.
image.png
image.png
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:56 pm I guess I'm missing something, how is it different? In SW it's check box instead of two buttons. In the popup or Property Mgr.

image.png

image.png
That wasn't always there. And it's very un-SW-like anyway. ;)
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:18 am That wasn't always there. And it's very un-SW-like anyway. ;)
In the popup it must've been added a version or two ago, either 2021 or 22. It's been in the property editor for several versions.

Perhaps inconsistent in GUI? The mate alignment below it is two buttons like SE. Although the SE options are opposite with the "Lock" as two buttons and "Flip" as a single selection.
Jason
mike miller

Here's something you might not have known. (in fact, I didn't know it until very recently)

Selecting multiple faces and editing a PMI dimension will move all those face with each other as a group.
Attachments
PMI multiple selections.mp4
(3.97 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:56 pm I guess I'm missing something, how is it different? In SW it's check box instead of two buttons. In the popup or Property Mgr.

image.png

image.png
You're still doing it the hard way. I mate a bunch of components, then right-click on the Mates folder and lock all of the concentric mates at once.

Before:

image.png

After:

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

The last time I used NX (2017) a cylindrical constraint, and a cylindrical constraint without rotation were two separate mates. There was no easy way to switch between the two. (Or if there was, noo one inn our group was aware of it.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm The last time I used NX (2017) a cylindrical constraint, and a cylindrical constraint without rotation were two separate mates. There was no easy way to switch between the two. (Or if there was, noo one inn our group was aware of it.)
I don't know anything about NX but since this is the SE nifty thread and if I understand what you're asking; this was a very nifty feature enhancement somewhere along the way. I don't recall when it was added.
image.png
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 pm You're still doing it the hard way. I mate a bunch of components, then right-click on the Mates folder and lock all of the concentric mates at once.
Nice tip.

Not sure when it was added but in 2022, toolbox parts can be automatically set to lock concentric mates. Wonder if that can be applied to non-toolbox parts if you set the toolbox flag on them.
image.png
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I finally found it in their help.
image.png
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams