Metal Drum Fabrication

mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Metal Drum Fabrication

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I think this belongs in the "Manufacturing" area, but I didn't see a sheet metal category.
Long story is, our materials labs have these machines for soil preparation that rotate steel drums containing metal rods to pulverize soil. Problem is that they can't get drums in thick enough gauge steel anymore.
So, does anyone know a shop that would be interested in making 18 gauge drums (~ 5 gallons)?
Here's a picture:
image.png
What's particularly troublesome is that the lid is complicated because you may not be able to use a band with a bolt...if you did, it would have to face away from the bottom, because it would hit the roller:
image.png
Here are the dimensions:
image.png
We have these labs all over the state, and depending on price we'd be ordering maybe a dozen or two dozen at a time. The problem is that the 22 gauge ones they are getting now only last a month or so. They want them to last longer, but will still need to replace them. So, this probably won't be a one time order.
Anyone have an idea on an ~ price per each with an order of say a dozen?
If you've got contact information for some shops please either post them (don't post their email address, send that to me directly) or DM their information directly to me.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Metal Drum Fabrication

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Here is the best I have:

https://www.iqsdirectory.com/metal-drums/michigan/

Just a google search.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 pm Here is the best I have:

https://www.iqsdirectory.com/metal-drums/michigan/

Just a google search.
Thanks Dan,
The ones I've looked at only distribute metal cans. One of them looked promising, offering design services (picture of a guy using SW, even), but it looked like they do the plastic work in-house, and just distribute metal cans.
I'll see about contacting a few of them, but I've tried this before and most just deal with the thin wall "UN" spec cans.
I was hoping someone here on the forum does sheet metal, or knows of a company that could make something like this. Though, the lid and latch are going to be tough, I'd guess.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

We do sheet metal but we don't have steel rolling capabilities.

B&M Welding Inc., one of our sub-contractors may be able to help you. They do mostly custom work and they have steel rolling capabilities.

I'll PM the contact info to you.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..maybe 10"-12" steel pipe/tube cut to ~16" length and weld on rings for your clamp on lid/plates?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mattpeneguy

zxys001 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:30 am ..maybe 10"-12" steel pipe/tube cut to ~16" length and weld on rings for your clamp on lid/plates?
Yeah, thought of that. It would work, but would be too heavy for both the people who have to maneuver it onto the rotating machine, and maybe even for the machine.
mattpeneguy

I tried searching for tubing instead of pipe, and turned up a place that makes 14 gauge. That makes the container ~20lbs 18lbs (smaller diameter, had to change that) vs ~15lbs for 18 gauge. That may be doable.
I'll reach out to one of the local machine shops again and see what they think.