Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:49 am I liked @josh's reply.
That's the largest understatement I've seen in a while! I'm still laughing at his reply.
It's so subtle. I'm in awe. It's actually kinda beautiful. Like I posted over there, he's won the internet for the day.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

dave.laban wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 am When reading big long lists of tags like that does anyone else read it in a really staccato fashion like each tag symbol is a full stop or something? My brain just can't process text written that way.
It's either:
1. I'm #lazy & I don't want to write a sentence & then add the #correct #tag for it that are just #words from my #sentence.

or
2. I'm lazy & I don't want to write a sentence & then add the correct tag for it that are just words from my sentence.
#lazy #correct #tag #words #sentence

And I don't like either. But as stated - I am lazy - so I choose you, number 1!
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I'm with Josh. There's just not much else that needs saying after that.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:35 am That's the largest understatement I've seen in a while! I'm still laughing at his reply.
It's so subtle. I'm in awe. It's actually kinda beautiful. Like I posted over there, he's won the internet for the day.
Damn I'm slow, I thought he was serious until I read it a second time and caught the subtly of his last sentences.
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:13 pm Damn I'm slow, I thought he was serious until I read it a second time and caught the subtly of his last sentences.
Yeah, me too. I wasn't sure until the end. Wow, they could use a sarcasm font!
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm Yeah, me too. I wasn't sure until the end. Wow, they could use a sarcasm font!
Well, yeah, but you can't even use italics or bold text, so . . .
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:13 pm Damn I'm slow, I thought he was serious until I read it a second time and caught the subtly of his last sentences.
No your not slow. That's about the best crafted thing I've seen in a while. It's a masterpiece! Worthy of an award. And no I'm not joking in the least.

Can we nominate him for a 3DXP Champion award or something?
berg_lauritz

That reply is amazing! He should do this for a living!
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Put me on the list of people who completely missed the subtlety of his sarcasm. I just thought he drank the koolaid
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SolidMuse
Answers: 0

Unread post by SolidMuse »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:34 am Wow! That's all I can say.
image.png
We are DOOMED!!!
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:21 pm Put me on the list of people who completely missed the subtlety of his sarcasm. I just thought he drank the koolaid
At the risk of throwing my shoulder out of joint patting myself on the back, I knew he was being sarcastic before I'd finished reading the second sentence. I've been reading (and enjoying) his replies for a long time.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:28 pm At the risk of throwing my shoulder out of joint patting myself on the back, I knew he was being sarcastic before I'd finished reading the second sentence. I've been reading (and enjoying) his replies for a long time.
I wasn't exactly sure because I don't know him well enough and also because english isn't my primary language.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:43 pm Well, yeah, but you can't even use italics or bold text, so . . .
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

For those who want to hear from someone who actually has used 3DX on a project, check out a recent comment on my blog. Not sure how many of you read that as well as this site, but there is from time to time some cross-over in topics.

Anyway, check out this guy's opinion of 3Dx :https://dezignstuff.com/whats-the-diffe ... nt-3235079
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:48 am For those who want to hear from someone who actually has used 3DX on a project, check out a recent comment on my blog. Not sure how many of you read that as well as this site, but there is from time to time some cross-over in topics.

Anyway, check out this guy's opinion of 3Dx :https://dezignstuff.com/whats-the-diffe ... nt-3235079
That's a fair summary of my opinion also, without having given it a try though.
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:48 am For those who want to hear from someone who actually has used 3DX on a project, check out a recent comment on my blog. Not sure how many of you read that as well as this site, but there is from time to time some cross-over in topics.

His comment sounds about right based on what I can find about it online. The 3dx stuff is still half baked if that. No danger of Desktopworks going away anytime soon IMO. We just get to watch our subscription $$$ wasted on Cloudworks.
Jason
AlexLachance

Here's a new one
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:56 pm Here's a new one

image.png
I see that post has been edited.

image.png

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm I see that post has been edited.

image.png
It hasn't been edited, it's been "moderated".

How delightful to see where free speech is heading. <()>
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:01 pm It hasn't been edited, it's been "moderated".

How delightful to see where free speech is heading. <()>
To be honest I can't blame them for doing a little moderating on that one. I can understand the poster's frustration, but that forum isn't just for adults. I suspect the language would have been "moderated" here also.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm To be honest I can't blame them for doing a little moderating on that one. I can understand the poster's frustration, but that forum isn't just for adults. I suspect the language would have been "moderated" here also.
Reading 10 posts like the moderated version makes the program seem not all that bad, but seeing a post with expressed anger, even though I might not agree with the way he said things, gives a lot more weight to it and makes the program look a lot worse. That is the main reason the post is edited. There were countless foul languages posts on the previous forum that weren't moderated but got answers still, because sometimes the frustration is actually user inflicted. In those case, the user looks silly and the program gets to shine.

In this case, it's program inflicted, so that's a much better reason for them to remove the parts of the post that show the level of frustration of the person, especially when you concider the time the program has been in development and how you're paying for them to actually advance the completion of the program, rather then paying for a program that's complete.

Don't want foul language, that's fine, but don't replace a 53 word post with one that's been shortened to 33 words. That's not removing foul language, that's censorship.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm I see that post has been edited.

image.png
Moderated maybe. But just maybe something was lost in the translation. As in "pardon my French".
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:45 pm Reading 10 posts like the moderated version makes the program seem not all that bad, but seeing a post with expressed anger, even though I might not agree with the way he said things, gives a lot more weight to it and makes the program look a lot worse. That is the main reason the post is edited. There were countless foul languages posts on the previous forum that weren't moderated but got answers still, because sometimes the frustration is actually user inflicted. In those case, the user looks silly and the program gets to shine.

In this case, it's program inflicted, so that's a much better reason for them to remove the parts of the post that show the level of frustration of the person, especially when you concider the time the program has been in development and how you're paying for them to actually advance the completion of the program, rather then paying for a program that's complete.

Don't want foul language, that's fine, but don't replace a 53 word post with one that's been shortened to 33 words. That's not removing foul language, that's censorship.
ClusterCensorShip! (I really wanted to write that different) UU
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

zxys001 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:31 pm ClusterCensorShip! (I really wanted to write that different) UU
image.png
Jason
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:37 am FYI...
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... w-i-d1HXsA

image.png
Well, that's just the SWYM I call it The Platform's "connected chat room". But it's only connected to content in the platform it's all or nothing.

I'm still wondering how many companies over a few users are using the SaaS CAD, CAM, PDM, PLM, ??? system. From what I've heard it's not really ready for production use, but it's hard to know if that's valid because its hard to tell how many people are actually using it as a collective system.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

FYI, in case anyone want to know "HOW" to insert code block into a SWYMP
<()>
image.png
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:06 am FYI, in case anyone want to know "HOW" to insert code block into a SWYMP
<()>

image.pngimage.png
What is this "code" thing you speak of? And why would one use such a cryptic form of communication? The Platform is about open, connected, omnicomunication such obscurities as this "code" you reference have no place in The Platform.
AlexB
Answers: 25

Unread post by AlexB »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:06 am FYI, in case anyone want to know "HOW" to insert code block into a SWYMP
<()>

image.pngimage.png
Ah, yes... INTUITIVE!
mattpeneguy

AlexB wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:47 pm Ah, yes... INTUITIVE!
I have a better method. Log onto the site on your phone. Create whatever code you want on your PC in something like Notepad++. Then snap a picture of your computer monitor on your phone and upload it...This doesn't have to be difficult...
sajekual

Unread post by sajekual »

2 cents about 3DEXPERIENCE from me as VAR employee... I'll say as much as I can without violating NDA, but still from anonymous account, just in case. I am a software developer by trade. Started working with SW in 2015, was always in love with it, despite it's many quirks. As a developer, I have always criticized the direction SW was taking with new releases - every year it is new features, most of which were never anticipated or planned in the core code, fixes on top of fixes that break more than they fix, UI getting more and more inconsistent, major issues that can't be solved without breaking backwards compatibility. I've always said that SW desperately needs a full, complete re-write from scratch, otherwise it will only get worse every year...

And despite all that, SW is light years ahead the abomination that 3DEXPERIENCE platform is. This platform should have been exactly what I meant - a fresh, clean solution that consolidates the best SW and other connected softwares have to offer, learning from the past mistakes and building a solid core code that is adaptable to future changes. But somehow, 3DEXPERIENCE turned out to be exact opposite - the worst example of "design by committee" that I have ever seen. There were some good ideas and some honest attempts in isolated parts of it - like xDesign, where devs really tried to consolidate core features and UI (for example, realizing that Boss Extrude, Cut and Revolve is basically the same feature with different parameters, so they can be combined into one super-feature), which is what I was hoping for. But with core code of the platform being such a terrible mess, these few good bits are just lost in a sea of bugs, errors and horrendous lag at every mouse click.

I say this after having spent more than a thousand hours learning, testing and debugging this platform, because about a year ago cooperate gave us a directive that we must forget SW Desktop, and shift our focus to the platform. We, technicians, went through A LOT of training to get the hang of the it so we can provide adequate support to our clients. I lost count of how many times I "rage quit" because literally nothing is working. Not imported SW projects, not fresh projects without SW, not even the official demos that we are somehow supposed to show to our clients. Crashes, errors without any technical info, non responsive UI which often makes you wonder if your mouse click was not registered or if you just need to wait 5 more minutes for it to register, messed up files, duplicates, fouled file names, revision clashes, tools disabling themselves for no apparent reason, disappearing geometry, parts with graphics that look like the original Super Mario even on the ultra-high settings...

Debugging is a total nightmare, requiring to set up fiddle traces for the browser almost every time. Personally, I have submitted over 50 tickets to the 3DEXPERIENCE tech team, reporting these issues. Average response time - 2 weeks to each message, almost exclusively from people who speak worse English than my dog, half the time they don't even understand the issue, and sometimes obviously try to downplay it. Of these 50 tickets only around 10 of them were "solved" (meaning they admitted it is a bug, and promised to fix it in the next update - not a single one was fixed so far). And that's just me. Some of my colleagues have submitted far more tickets. When I ask them about it, the usual response is a moan followed by "please don't talk about it".

I even tried using the platform with my hobby SW projects - really, really simple stuff, small assemblies - mostly to make use of revisions, file history and centralized database, nothing fancy - and thank heavens I made full backups of everything, because every single time I tried, my project files were messed up beyond any hope of recovery. Not to mention constant crashes of both SW and the platform in the browser. And even when it works, even the simplest actions, like navigation, saving, loading, opening a sketch (in the browser) takes literal seconds to complete... Sometimes in the double digits. It just makes you want to shoot yourself in the head.

And despite that, we are pressured to sell this abomination to our clients, to market it as the next step in PLM and CAD design. Even as VARs, we really have no say in it. I feel terrible for the clients who have already went on the platform - and they hate us now, flooding us with support tickets that we can't solve, because there are no solutions. This really sits on my conscience - I wish to tell them "don't buy this crap, stay with desktop SW and PDM"... but we're not supposed to say that, no matter what. All hail the glorious platform.

All this is to say... Stay away from this platform if you can. Don't let your workplace management fall into the trap and buy into this "ecosystem". You will go crazy. 3DEXPERIENCE is not just "unpolished" or "still needs work". The very foundations of it are programmed completely wrong, and no amount of patching can fix it. The only hope is for the Dassault to ditch it completely, and start from scratch. Personally, I'd rather they just returned full focus on SW Desktop, and "sacrificed" SW 2023 and SW 2024 (at least) for bug fixes rather than new features...

Seriously though, it seems to me that 3DEXPERIENCE has zero chance of ever becoming even a remotely usable product. Yet Dassault is blindly rolling it's most aggressive sales campaign to date, that can only lead to an eventual disaster. I don't see them ever making it work, but nor can I see a way for them to back out of it. And it is quite scary.

Alright, rant mode off :D
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

sajekual wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 am 2 cents about 3DEXPERIENCE from me as VAR employee... I'll say as much as I can without violating NDA, but still from anonymous account, just in case. I am a software developer by trade. Started working with SW in 2015, was always in love with it, despite it's many quirks. As a developer, I have always criticized the direction SW was taking with new releases - every year it is new features, most of which were never anticipated or planned in the core code, fixes on top of fixes that break more than they fix, UI getting more and more inconsistent, major issues that can't be solved without breaking backwards compatibility. I've always said that SW desperately needs a full, complete re-write from scratch, otherwise it will only get worse every year...

Seriously though, it seems to me that 3DEXPERIENCE has zero chance of ever becoming even a remotely usable product. Yet Dassault is blindly rolling it's most aggressive sales campaign to date, that can only lead to an eventual disaster. I don't see them ever making it work, but nor can I see a way for them to back out of it. And it is quite scary.

Wow, I didn't figure it's that bad. Give it to Dassault to make a mess like that!!
frustration.gif
frustration.gif (260.84 KiB) Viewed 8713 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
AlexLachance

sajekual wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 am 2 cents about 3DEXPERIENCE from me as VAR employee... I'll say as much as I can without violating NDA, but still from anonymous account, just in case. I am a software developer by trade. Started working with SW in 2015, was always in love with it, despite it's many quirks. As a developer, I have always criticized the direction SW was taking with new releases - every year it is new features, most of which were never anticipated or planned in the core code, fixes on top of fixes that break more than they fix, UI getting more and more inconsistent, major issues that can't be solved without breaking backwards compatibility. I've always said that SW desperately needs a full, complete re-write from scratch, otherwise it will only get worse every year...

And despite all that, SW is light years ahead the abomination that 3DEXPERIENCE platform is. This platform should have been exactly what I meant - a fresh, clean solution that consolidates the best SW and other connected softwares have to offer, learning from the past mistakes and building a solid core code that is adaptable to future changes. But somehow, 3DEXPERIENCE turned out to be exact opposite - the worst example of "design by committee" that I have ever seen. There were some good ideas and some honest attempts in isolated parts of it - like xDesign, where devs really tried to consolidate core features and UI (for example, realizing that Boss Extrude, Cut and Revolve is basically the same feature with different parameters, so they can be combined into one super-feature), which is what I was hoping for. But with core code of the platform being such a terrible mess, these few good bits are just lost in a sea of bugs, errors and horrendous lag at every mouse click.

I say this after having spent more than a thousand hours learning, testing and debugging this platform, because about a year ago cooperate gave us a directive that we must forget SW Desktop, and shift our focus to the platform. We, technicians, went through A LOT of training to get the hang of the it so we can provide adequate support to our clients. I lost count of how many times I "rage quit" because literally nothing is working. Not imported SW projects, not fresh projects without SW, not even the official demos that we are somehow supposed to show to our clients. Crashes, errors without any technical info, non responsive UI which often makes you wonder if your mouse click was not registered or if you just need to wait 5 more minutes for it to register, messed up files, duplicates, fouled file names, revision clashes, tools disabling themselves for no apparent reason, disappearing geometry, parts with graphics that look like the original Super Mario even on the ultra-high settings...

Debugging is a total nightmare, requiring to set up fiddle traces for the browser almost every time. Personally, I have submitted over 50 tickets to the 3DEXPERIENCE tech team, reporting these issues. Average response time - 2 weeks to each message, almost exclusively from people who speak worse English than my dog, half the time they don't even understand the issue, and sometimes obviously try to downplay it. Of these 50 tickets only around 10 of them were "solved" (meaning they admitted it is a bug, and promised to fix it in the next update - not a single one was fixed so far). And that's just me. Some of my colleagues have submitted far more tickets. When I ask them about it, the usual response is a moan followed by "please don't talk about it".

I even tried using the platform with my hobby SW projects - really, really simple stuff, small assemblies - mostly to make use of revisions, file history and centralized database, nothing fancy - and thank heavens I made full backups of everything, because every single time I tried, my project files were messed up beyond any hope of recovery. Not to mention constant crashes of both SW and the platform in the browser. And even when it works, even the simplest actions, like navigation, saving, loading, opening a sketch (in the browser) takes literal seconds to complete... Sometimes in the double digits. It just makes you want to shoot yourself in the head.

And despite that, we are pressured to sell this abomination to our clients, to market it as the next step in PLM and CAD design. Even as VARs, we really have no say in it. I feel terrible for the clients who have already went on the platform - and they hate us now, flooding us with support tickets that we can't solve, because there are no solutions. This really sits on my conscience - I wish to tell them "don't buy this crap, stay with desktop SW and PDM"... but we're not supposed to say that, no matter what. All hail the glorious platform.

All this is to say... Stay away from this platform if you can. Don't let your workplace management fall into the trap and buy into this "ecosystem". You will go crazy. 3DEXPERIENCE is not just "unpolished" or "still needs work". The very foundations of it are programmed completely wrong, and no amount of patching can fix it. The only hope is for the Dassault to ditch it completely, and start from scratch. Personally, I'd rather they just returned full focus on SW Desktop, and "sacrificed" SW 2023 and SW 2024 (at least) for bug fixes rather than new features...

Thanks for the share, thanks for hanging on and trying your best with the hand your dealt. I sincerely hope the captain will accept to turn the ship around, but I'm doubtful at this point.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Looks like we cannot expect anything good for the following years :|
matt

Unread post by matt »

Lucas wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:45 pm Looks like we cannot expect anything good for the following years :|
Yes you can. Just not from ds.
dave.laban

So what do we think, they going to make a big deal of the 30th anniversary release being the last desktop version and it's "time to move on" to the cloud?
AlexB
Answers: 25

Unread post by AlexB »

dave.laban wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:13 am So what do we think, they going to make a big deal of the 30th anniversary release being the last desktop version and it's "time to move on" to the cloud?
They're going to have a lot of people interested in keeping the last installed desktop version, even if they don't continue to support new desktop versions. I think they'd have to wait out the OS requirement for the desktop version for it to become obsolete in order for people to consider changing. And since that change will require a massive amount of data migration and system configuration, that change is going to be to a direct competitor instead.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

sajekual wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 am ...

Thanks for the share. I always wonder what is going in the VAR head when they are trying to promote 3DExperience.

The future of the seem bleak.

PS: Even their customer survey UI sucks... A grey text on a grey background, seriously? WTH is wrong with the font size?
All of the DS' UI just scream the opposite of human-centered design.
image.png
sajekual

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:57 am Thanks for the share. I always wonder what is going in the VAR head when they are trying to promote 3DExperience.

The future of the seem bleak.

PS: Even their customer survey UI sucks... A grey text on a grey background, seriously? WTH is wrong with the font size?
All of the DS' UI just scream the opposite of human-centered design.
image.png
I pity our sales guys... Every single one of them knows just how bad this product is, and they still have to praise it to the clients, knowing all too well the s***storm that will follow once they start using it... And how much that will backfire at us. And yet they have no choice.

I feel like there should be something we as VARs should be doing about this - but I talked to my bosses, and they all said the same: if we protest or boycott 3DEXPERIENCE, we will be cut off by DS, and another VAR will take our place.

Now, if all VARs would boycott 3DX together... One can dream.
AlexLachance

This is the message I got from our advisor and it pretty much confirms what everyone says. Let me state that this advisor is known all over Quebec and SolidWorks also knows him very well. I've forwarded his message to some of the higher guys at 3DXperience, hopefully it reaches the right ears.

Edit: It's a pretty sad state of affair when such a passionate person as this guy, advises us against his passion.
My whole team followed the 3DExperience World online last February and I attended a seminar on this platform. I was able to try it and indeed, the backup time (for a simple part) took several seconds… In short, don't move to the platform.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

sajekual wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:33 am I pity our sales guys... Every single one of them knows just how bad this product is, and they still have to praise it to the clients, knowing all too well the s***storm that will follow once they start using it... And how much that will backfire at us. And yet they have no choice.

I feel like there should be something we as VARs should be doing about this - but I talked to my bosses, and they all said the same: if we protest or boycott 3DEXPERIENCE, we will be cut off by DS, and another VAR will take our place.

Now, if all VARs would boycott 3DX together... One can dream.
How do we know you're not a shill for Siemens or Autodesk?

** ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

sajekual wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 am

Yikes, I didn't know that 3DX was as bad as you've outlined. To avoid the price increase slated to come into effect next month we've just extended our subscription for our SW network licenses until 2025. Was that a mistake?

If DS isn't going to provide resources to maintain the desktop versions, did we just pay for something that we'll never benefit from?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
AlexLachance

SamSpade wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:58 am Yikes, I didn't know that 3DX was as bad as you've outlined. To avoid the price increase slated to come into effect next month we've just extended our subscription for our SW network licenses until 2025. Was that a mistake?

If DS isn't going to provide resources to maintain the desktop versions, did we just pay for something that we'll never benefit from?
Yes it was, that's just their attempt at grabbing the most cash they can before people bail. Don't worry, they got us too, they did us dirty a year earlier so that there would be nothing in sight.
berg_lauritz

Wow. This is worse than I thought. I was hoping it was only the forum that was that bad....
sajekual

SamSpade wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:58 am Yikes, I didn't know that 3DX was as bad as you've outlined. To avoid the price increase slated to come into effect next month we've just extended our subscription for our SW network licenses until 2025. Was that a mistake?

Well, I don't know your situation, but if your alternative was switching to 3DX, I think you definitely chose the lesser evil :D As buggy as SW is, it is still a far superior product. From DS end it was a shameless money grab - scare people with the horror that 3DX was, raise the SW Desktop prices, and then reap profits. But then again, what choice is there, except for switching to another CAD altogether...

I inquired yesterday with some of my connections from another VAR, and they said they saw a SW Desktop development plan for the next 5 years in some kind of behind-the-doors meeting. Words is, SW Desktop won't receive any more new features, because that part of development will be reserved to 3DX. SW Desktop will remain a legacy product that will still receive yearly updates.

If this is true, it might actually be a good thing. If new features are not the focus of next SW Desktop releases, this means the pressure on the developers will be off, and allow them to focus on consolidating SW and fixing these long-term bugs that have been plaguing it since it's inception. This is assuming that there will be enough developers left for maintaining SW Desktop, as opposed to transferring them to work on 3DX.

Again, these are just rumors, so don't take my word for it.

I wonder, is there anyone else from VARs here on this forum? I would be really interested (I think we all would) what is the word on 3DX and SW Desktop there. I wonder if we could somehow organize a collaborative effort to bring 3DX down... Or at least stir the water a little bit to the client's favor. "Collaboration" is the main marketing word for 3DX. Wouldn't this be a poetic justice...
berg_lauritz

sajekual wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:41 pm I wonder, is there anyone else from VARs here on this forum? I would be really interested (I think we all would) what is the word on 3DX and SW Desktop there. I wonder if we could somehow organize a collaborative effort to bring 3DX down... Or at least stir the water a little bit to the client's favor. "Collaboration" is the main marketing word for 3DX. Wouldn't this be a poetic justice...
Just take a look at the "hypothecial replacement" thread... I think the only thing keeping i.e. us there is PDM.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Downtime.jpg
Hmmm......... April Fools? <()>
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy

mike miller wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 am
image.png
image.png (117.02 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Hmmm......... April Fools? <()>
I think I'm good. I've got all of my content uploaded and secured:
image.png
dave.laban

I thought the whole point of cloudy based SAAS was that all the updates were invisible to the end user and didn't require any admin / management on our part?
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

dave.laban wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:19 am I thought the whole point of cloudy based SAAS was that all the updates were invisible to the end user and didn't require any admin / management on our part?
;;
Few weeks ago they have an update on their maker platform too
image.png