3DExperience World... Did it happen?

KennyG
Answers: 7

3DExperience World... Did it happen?

Unread post by KennyG »

Seems to me that in the past there would be several trade articles and several BLOG posts regarding all the newsworthy things that were presented at SolidWorks World or 3DExperience World, but this year it's like "crickets". There was maybe a couple trade articles about the executive reshuffle, but literally no product stuff. It's like it did not happen at all...
matt
Answers: 18

Re: 3DExperience World... Did it happen?

Unread post by matt »

Roopinder posted something on engineering.com where he quoted me. Interesting read.

https://www.engineering.com/story/dassa ... solidworks
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

But, again it was all about the reorg. Where is the product related content? Surely there was some presented there, right?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

KennyG wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 pm But, again it was all about the reorg. Where is the product related content? Surely there was some presented there, right?
Product? What product? This is an event!
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

KennyG wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 pm But, again it was all about the reorg. Where is the product related content? Surely there was some presented there, right?
It will be posted/moved soon to 3DSWYM community. For the time being you can find the content here https://reg.3dexperienceworld.com/
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
KQuigley
Answers: 0

Unread post by KQuigley »

matt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:32 pm Roopinder posted something on engineering.com where he quoted me. Interesting read.

https://www.engineering.com/story/dassa ... solidworks
Interesting but inaccurate. GP was in charge of R&D at ImpactXoft, not Think3, which was sold to Dassault and now forms the basis of its functional modelling module. Think 3 was an Italian business all along (I know, I used it). They are still in business. Joe Costello was brought in in the late 90s to rebrand the business from the USA (to Think3) and take the company forwards as a competitor to Solidworks. They pioneered a lot of stuff-subscriptions, webex training, 1 to 1 webex support, amongst others. Their actual modelling capabilities FAR exceeded anything Solidworks could do at that time, and still, in many respects. But, like most CAD vendors they focussed on sales and branding over developing the system. It was buggy as hell, releases were few and far between (so reducing the value of the subscription model) and eventually, Joe Costello threw in the towel, and control was handed back to Italy, and a new European sales director increased the subscription from €2000 a year to €5500 a year.

Some companies still use it, but it is primarily a special cases system, for global and local shape manipulation. It could have been great, but it wasn’t.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

KQuigley wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:12 pm Interesting but inaccurate. GP was in charge of R&D at ImpactXoft, not Think3, which was sold to Dassault and now forms the basis of its functional modelling module. Think 3 was an Italian business all along (I know, I used it). They are still in business. Joe Costello was brought in in the late 90s to rebrand the business from the USA (to Think3) and take the company forwards as a competitor to Solidworks. They pioneered a lot of stuff-subscriptions, webex training, 1 to 1 webex support, amongst others. Their actual modelling capabilities FAR exceeded anything Solidworks could do at that time, and still, in many respects. But, like most CAD vendors they focussed on sales and branding over developing the system. It was buggy as hell, releases were few and far between (so reducing the value of the subscription model) and eventually, Joe Costello threw in the towel, and control was handed back to Italy, and a new European sales director increased the subscription from €2000 a year to €5500 a year.

Some companies still use it, but it is primarily a special cases system, for global and local shape manipulation. It could have been great, but it wasn’t.
yep, they are still around.. http://www.dptcorporate.com/products/
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
HDS
Answers: 0

Unread post by HDS »

I remember Think3 because they had a marketing campaign where you played a Doom like game and built your weapon using Think3. It was a clever but I never tried it.

http://84.239.153.245/hut/rp-ml-1999/0881.html