Part disappears after mating in assembly - not visible in zoom selection or isolate

jmongi
Answers: 0

Part disappears after mating in assembly - not visible in zoom selection or isolate

Unread post by jmongi »

Well, I think I've had my first really weird glitch/bug with SW in a while.
So, I'm modeling a pressure vessel and adding various fittings to cutouts in the vessel. Standard stuff I do all the time. One of the mates is a dimension spacing from a plane to set the protruding distance of the fitting from the edge of the vessel. These planes are in the base body part of the vessel and visible within the assembly. Two of the fittings worked fine. I add the concentric mate, no problem. I add the dimension mate and....the fitting disappears.

No worries I think. I must have mis-clicked. I zoom to selection to find my rogue fitting and...nothing. Ok, I isolate the fitting and....nothing. It shows as fully constrained in my feature tree and no errors but these things are invisible. Yes, I've checked the visibilty and tried turning it off and on again just to flush anything weird. No dice.

I'm stumped.

Edit: SW 2021 SP4.0
Designated Pot-Stirrer
jmongi

Re: Part disappears after mating in assembly - not visible in zoom selection or isolate

Unread post by jmongi »

Here is a picture for reference.
All 4 of the same size cutouts in the various plane locations has a fitting inserted and mated. Two of them are doing this phantom visibility thing. I noticed they are on the same plane, so I'll try some other planes and see if this issues is directly related to this plane.
SamplePic.PNG
Designated Pot-Stirrer
jmongi

Re: Part disappears after mating in assembly - not visible in zoom selection or isolate

Unread post by jmongi »

Further investigation shows that it is just the one plane that is acting up. It also highlights that it is something with the "flip dimension" toggle. When it's not toggled, it shows up (but appears to be modified for some reason i.e. its length is cut off). When it is toggled, the part disappears. I also get some random error messages when messing with the mates telling me the part is unavailable to be edited at this time.

It's almost like SW is trying to cut with the dimension offset instead of mate with it. Weird.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

So, you've been subjected to my flow of thought. But, I did solve the issue. This might be useful to someone else who may make the same mistake as me.

I had some assembly cuts made for the fitting cutouts. BUT, one one of the cutouts I accidently toggled "all components" in the assembly as the ones affected by the cut, instead of just the pressure vessel body. So, add the fittings, fittings fall into cut void, voila! No fittings.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

jmongi wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am So, you've been subjected to my flow of thought. But, I did solve the issue. This might be useful to someone else who may make the same mistake as me.

I had some assembly cuts made for the fitting cutouts. BUT, one one of the cutouts I accidently toggled "all components" in the assembly as the ones affected by the cut, instead of just the pressure vessel body. So, add the fittings, fittings fall into cut void, voila! No fittings.

Glad you figured it out.

And thank you for following up.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jmongi wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am So, you've been subjected to my flow of thought. But, I did solve the issue. This might be useful to someone else who may make the same mistake as me.

That'll do it. That messed with me a time or two before I figured out what was happening. I remember mating a hex nut to a hole created as an Assembly feature and thinking "That hole in the nut looks bigger than it should be."
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

jmongi wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am I had some assembly cuts made for the fitting cutouts. BUT, one one of the cutouts I accidently toggled "all components" in the assembly as the ones affected by the cut, instead of just the pressure vessel body. So, add the fittings, fittings fall into cut void, voila! No fittings.
I've done that. More often I forget I sectioned the view and a part disappears after an update.

Dwight