"Mirror Component" Greyed Out, Unable to Edit Existing Feature

sh3ppard
Answers: 0

"Mirror Component" Greyed Out, Unable to Edit Existing Feature

Unread post by sh3ppard »

I am in a small assembly with approx 4 subassemblies and 12 parts.

-I am unable to "edit feature" on existing MirrorComponent features, however I can edit the LinearPatterns that are right beside them in the tree. The "Edit Feature" option is simply missing from the right click menu, and it's greyed out when I search for the function.

-I am unable to add a new MirrorComponent feature as well. Missing from ribbon drop-down, and greyed out when I search for the function. Happens when I have a plane preselected or not.

I have searched everywhere and cannot find a solution. Restarted PC, any other options? Anyone experience this before?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: "Mirror Component" Greyed Out, Unable to Edit Existing Feature

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't believe I've ever encountered that, or heard of it. Can you do a Pack and Go of the Assembly to a zip file and post it here?

While I'm typing something else occurred to me. Is this behavior restricted to this one Assembly, or do other Assemblies behave the same way for you?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

sh3ppard wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm I am in a small assembly with approx 4 subassemblies and 12 parts.

-I am unable to "edit feature" on existing MirrorComponent features, however I can edit the LinearPatterns that are right beside them in the tree. The "Edit Feature" option is simply missing from the right click menu, and it's greyed out when I search for the function.

-I am unable to add a new MirrorComponent feature as well. Missing from ribbon drop-down, and greyed out when I search for the function. Happens when I have a plane preselected or not.

I have searched everywhere and cannot find a solution. Restarted PC, any other options? Anyone experience this before?

Hello Sh3ppard,

Have you tried opening it on another system to see if the issue occurs? If it happens on the other system, then it's most likely file related. If it doesn't happen on the other system, then perhaps a registry reset could do the trick.

Could you provide some screenshots? It would help in the trouble shooting. If it's greyed out, it means something inside the program thinks it shouldn't be blocked.
sh3ppard
Answers: 0

Unread post by sh3ppard »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:07 pm I don't believe I've ever encountered that, or heard of it. Can you do a Pack and Go of the Assembly to a zip file and post it here?

While I'm typing something else occurred to me. Is this behavior restricted to this one Assembly, or do other Assemblies behave the same way for you?
Glenn, unfortunately I cannot share the files due to NDA, but I also cannot recreate the error on new assemblies. I have experienced similar "cannot edit feature" problems a few times in the past on other assemblies, but it's a rare occurrence and I've never been able to figure out what makes it happen.

Alex, I don't have any other systems to try, I'm going to try to get the NDA waived for this if all else fails. Please see attached photos illustrating the problem. I cannot create new mirror features or edit the existing ones, however I can easily edit the Pattern features above and below the mirrors on the tree.

Not sure if it matters, but this assembly was an experiment in a different method of using SSP's - one single SSP part given to all subassemblies, (this SSP contains all variables and calculations for the entire assembly,) and the subassemblies read the calculation results and variables from the SSP and send them to specific dimensions within that subassembly. I've been experimenting with different SSP methods, I understand that this method is not the standard. (I don't think this is related to the issue though, because these Mirror features are completely unrelated/unchanged by any SSP variables, whereas the editable features are far more closely linked to the SSP.)

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I'm going to throw a few things out there, probably thinking as I'm typing.
  • I'd say try re-installing SW, but the fact that it's only this one Assembly makes me think it probably wouldn't help.
  • I see that this happens when you're editing a sub-assembly within the upper level Assembly. Do you have the same problem if you open the sub-assembly and try to edit the mirror feature there?
  • You said this Assembly only has a few sub-assemblies. Have you tried just starting over with the upper level Assembly?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"