Happy 1 Year Anniversary!

Look here for announcements.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I'd like to say a big Thank You for all of the people who have made this site possible. If you read, browse, search, post and/or donate you are helping to keep us going. In addition to all the people who participate directly, there are a lot of lurkers, and lurkers help make the world go round too. So thank you and welcome to all.

The story of how we got started is pretty well known by now. SW had announced they were shutting down the old forum and pushing us all to the SWYM, and @Glenn Schroeder suggested that someone should start a new forum. I had most of the pieces in place, just needed the software, so I registered a new domain name, installed the PHPBB software and within a couple of hours we were up and going. Since then it's been all you guys and gals suggesting functionality to add, adjustments, little things, big things...

And since we're talking about PHPBB... I recognize PHPBB has all sorts of stupid limitations. Customizing it is easy enough, but takes some dedication and a little know how. It's very minimalist forum software. I recognize that the SWYM is the new state of the art (maybe 30 years from now) so advanced, I definitely don't understand it. The options were another big Facebook group, but I don't do Facebook, or a Discord, Reddit... but I felt that the PHPBB if nothing else, gives us a lot of control and independence.

The goal I set out early was to be to have a place where CAD users can talk to CAD users about CAD, and it was important to me if no one else to make it multi-CAD so we can talk about anything. Of course we need all the ancillary topics as well like PDM, CNC, simulation, 3dprint, etc... And of course to use minimal rules and minimal moderation. We need a place for civil discourse, but that doesn't mean we always have to agree.

I've been open to advertising, but we've been able to maintain independence without it to this point. Traffic is certainly good, and people are curious about products. I don't want to turn the site into a giant commercial boondoggle, but some relevant sponsors would be a benefit going forward.

If you're looking for the first posts ever made on the forum, you can find them here: viewtopic.php?p=2#p2 We've had a couple of notable characters move on, such as @flaw and @Roasted By John and @MJuric. We're always sorry to see people go, but such is life.

The first mention of the CADForum.net on the Dezignstuff blog is here: https://dezignstuff.com/new-cad-forum-site/ There has been surprisingly little interaction between CADForum and Dezignstuff, even given the overlap of topics. I guess one is more passive and the other more active, and that appeal overrides the draw of the topic. I try to be as hands-off on the forum as possible, but I do get riled into posting some times. The blog is another story...

Here is a chart from Google analytics of users. Users are defined by Google as people who visit the site, not necessarily registered users. You have to register to post and access some of the special functions, but you can read and browse as much as you want without registering. This is what we call lurking. @Zhen-Wei Tee posted some other statistics about registered users.
image.png
This chart shows user activity, which is defined as anything, like click, scroll, search, post... any action on the site including arriving here. You can see that activity has really taken off since the first of the year. This is without adding a lot of new users, so people are looking around, reading and writing more.
image.png
There are a couple of things I want to point out. First is that if you don't take "measures" a site like this will attract an unbelievable number of spam registrations. These are people who are not interested in the content or discussions at the forum, but just want to post links in some form, even if they're only in the profile. The registrant will sit dormant for a couple of months so it doesn't attract attention, and then might start posting links. I would say about 80% of the total registrations we've had here have been spam related. It's hard to believe that people have that much time to waste. I've removed most of the ones I can find. They often fit certain patterns.

So, we have just under 600 registered users, and most of those have made at least a couple of posts, which I think makes them pretty legitimate. Fortunately the amount of actual spam that gets through has been very low.
image.png
Thanks to you all being so well-behaved, I haven't yet had the need to ask for volunteers to help moderate. I've been able to do it myself. That day may still be coming, so be prepared...

There have been a couple of admin mistakes, but aside from the one last April or May where many images got corrupted, none of the damage has been permanent. I hired someone to help me clean up the mess. That, along with a server upgrade have been the only real expenses incurred to this point. Some generous donations have made it all possible.

Thanks again so much to y'all for being a part of building this web destination. It is a benefit to many people who need a place to turn for honest answers. And it seems to have become a social outlet for people waiting for history-based models to rebuild. :D

Here's to another great year of questions, answers, content, links, jokes, personal anecdotes, and most of all, snarky responses.

If you read all the way to the bottom, here's another post you might want to read: https://dezignstuff.com/?p=12425
Attachments
image.png
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Happy 1 Year Anniversary!

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Dezignstuff link doesn't work.

Great job on bringing this place together and keeping it up and alive for the last year.
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

Thank you @matt, you make it sound like it was not much work to get this forum up and running (somehow I don't believe it was easy). Any time you spent is very appreciated by all of us.

This forum is very helpful for a lot of people.

I hope you know that, because of you, many people are becoming more knowledgeable. And because of that knowledge, they are better at their jobs. You are responsible for all of us increasing our worth to our employers.

THANK YOU!

UU
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:21 am Dezignstuff link doesn't work.

Great job on bringing this place together and keeping it up and alive for the last year.
There was a small gap between putting the two posts up. It works now.
matt

Unread post by matt »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:10 am Thank you @matt, you make it sound like it was not much work to get this forum up and running (somehow I don't believe it was easy). Any time you spent is very appreciated by all of us.

This forum is very helpful for a lot of people.

I hope you know that, because of you, many people are becoming more knowledgeable. And because of that knowledge, they are better at their jobs. You are responsible for all of us increasing our worth to our employers.

THANK YOU!

UU
Wow, that's heavy for a Tuesday morning. Thanks, though. The CAD world has fed me a lot of information, and if I can repay it back in some way, I'm glad to do it.
VicFrauenfeld

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:28 am Wow, that's heavy for a Tuesday morning. Thanks, though. The CAD world has fed me a lot of information, and if I can repay it back in some way, I'm glad to do it.
Thank goodness it is not Monday...I don't think I could have come up with that yesterday. ;;
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:13 am If you read all the way to the bottom, here's another post you might want to read: https://dezignstuff.com/?p=12425
Loved the article Matt, on point. If you take a long look at it, you can actually see some corelative decisions being taken by a lot of governments in the world right now and the decisions being taken by Dassault.

It actually makes me sad to kind of come to the acceptance that it is what it is, and that things won't change until they take a massive hit in their wallets. It's also kind of ironic that when you ask anyone over there to try to define what the SWYM is and how it should be used, noone has any answers, they only have questions about how you'd like it, which might sound great from a user's point of view, but is extremely stupid from a developper's perspective. People have different views, people change opinions, time passes, things change, new technology arrises, so basing development around individual voices rather then a global objective is redundant and in the end counterproductive.

I try and help them "spot" bugs, and give some feedback, but it truely is maddening to see the lack of direction that company has. Who's heard of Manish since his nomination? Does he even interact on the platform? I certainly haven't seen him do so except for his personal project of his home.

Matthew's the light of hope in the darkness over there, but the light's slowly fading.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

From your blog post:
image.png
;;
Honestly....I think its spot on!

LOL
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

UU
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Thank you and everyone who keeps this going! UU
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Thank you Matt and to everyone who keeps this going! UU
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
SolidMuse

Unread post by SolidMuse »

Thank you Matt...
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

I am registered member (obviously :D ) but i am more lurker than active at writing etc..
I like to learn and i am to slow to answer eventual problems of others.
I remember a lot of names from old forum , like Glenn, Matt , Alex , Dan etc..
I feel like i know you event i dont :D

Big thanks to everyone for supporting this forum , and even bigger thanks for all knowledge you guys are sharing.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

@matt If you ever consider advertising, please hit us up for donations again. I know I would gladly contribute. On some forums its hard to navigate through all the ads to get to the content.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Lapuo wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 am I am registered member (obviously :D ) but i am more lurker than active at writing etc..
I like to learn and i am to slow to answer eventual problems of others.
I remember a lot of names from old forum , like Glenn, Matt , Alex , Dan etc..
I feel like i know you event i dont :D

Big thanks to everyone for supporting this forum , and even bigger thanks for all knowledge you guys are sharing.
Good to see you!!!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

Lurked for almost a year, and decided early 2022 to get registered. Been having a great time since and appreciate all the help and in awe of the collective knowledge that's gathered here. Thank you Matt and the other 598 members, I look forward to many more years ahead!

UU

Also, happy to moderate if/when needed. I've mostly moderated live streaming chats and Discord servers, but believe most of the same principles would apply.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

I'm here today :D Just not using Solidworks as much and at my desk for much less amounts of time in my new position.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

MJuric wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:13 pm I'm here today :D Just not using Solidworks as much and at my desk for much less amounts of time in my new position.
Sounds nice.