Cannot Browse to component from BOM tab

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
AlexB
Answers: 24

Cannot Browse to component from BOM tab

Unread post by AlexB »

Can anybody else confirm that the option to "Browse to" or "Browse to in a New Window" is grayed out on the BOM tab within Explorer? It would be nice to not have to switch to a new tab or window just to pull up a component and its data card.

[Ver 2021 SP5.1]
image.png
by AlexB » Wed May 04, 2022 8:33 am
After looking into it, this appears to have fixed it. I added the "Edit Version Free Variable Data" to the group these users are a part of and now it works...
image.png
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Cannot Browse to component from BOM tab

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I'm guessing the assembly your are right clicking on is a virtual component? So there is no file to go to.
Jason
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

AlexB wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:30 pm Can anybody else confirm that the option to "Browse to" or "Browse to in a New Window" is grayed out on the BOM tab within Explorer? It would be nice to not have to switch to a new tab or window just to pull up a component and its data card.

[Ver 2021 SP5.1]

image.png
I'm using PDM 2021 SP4.0 and when I right click on a BOM item in file explorer, it show those browse to options (along with the full right click menu).
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

AlexB wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:30 pm Can anybody else confirm that the option to "Browse to" or "Browse to in a New Window" is grayed out on the BOM tab within Explorer? It would be nice to not have to switch to a new tab or window just to pull up a component and its data card.

[Ver 2021 SP5.1]

image.png
What SW version and SP are you using?

==================================================
SPR :1186363

Summary:
SOLIDWORKS PDM: 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' grayed out in the RMB menu when selecting a file in 'Treehouse 'View' from Where use and Contain tab

Fixed in: SW2020 SP5

Technical Comments:
The 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' will usually appear and functions when the first file is selected (maybe the second) then will be greyed out when selecting subsequent files. This can be reproduced in the Contains tab for PDM 2020 SP3 and both the Contains and Where Used tabs for 2021 Beta 1.

Reproduced on PDM 2021 Beta 1 on Windows 10 (1903)
1. Add and check in attached Speaker.sldasm and child references
2. Select the Speaker.sldasm
3. Click Contains, Click Treehouse View
4. Right click on any file and the 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' should be in the RMB menu.
5. Right-click other files in the treehouse, you will see the 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' are gray out in the RMB menu. - Not Expected
- If you do not reproduce continue to right click on other files.
6. Repeat steps 3, 4, 5 in the Where Used tab

============================================
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:15 pm I'm guessing the assembly your are right clicking on is a virtual component? So there is no file to go to.
None of the files are virtual. This was brought to my attention by another user and I was able to reproduce what they were seeing. It occurs with all files on the BOM view.
JSculley wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:02 am What SW version and SP are you using?

==================================================
SPR :1186363

Summary:
SOLIDWORKS PDM: 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' grayed out in the RMB menu when selecting a file in 'Treehouse 'View' from Where use and Contain tab

Fixed in: SW2020 SP5

Technical Comments:
The 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' will usually appear and functions when the first file is selected (maybe the second) then will be greyed out when selecting subsequent files. This can be reproduced in the Contains tab for PDM 2020 SP3 and both the Contains and Where Used tabs for 2021 Beta 1.

Reproduced on PDM 2021 Beta 1 on Windows 10 (1903)
1. Add and check in attached Speaker.sldasm and child references
2. Select the Speaker.sldasm
3. Click Contains, Click Treehouse View
4. Right click on any file and the 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' should be in the RMB menu.
5. Right-click other files in the treehouse, you will see the 'Browse to' and 'Browse to new window' are gray out in the RMB menu. - Not Expected
- If you do not reproduce continue to right click on other files.
6. Repeat steps 3, 4, 5 in the Where Used tab

============================================
Using 2021 SP5.1 right now for both PDM and SW. This isn't related to the contains tab or treehouse view. Both of those actually appear to be working okay. It just looks like the right-click menu on the BOM tab doesn't populate at all for any items.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

After looking into it, this appears to have fixed it. I added the "Edit Version Free Variable Data" to the group these users are a part of and now it works...
image.png