What's with the X?

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
bradb
Answers: 0

Re: What's with the X?

Unread post by bradb »

Who is their target market?
I don't know what's worse, that fact that somebody actually thought that this would be a good way to promote a "professional" product used for real world design & manufacturing, or that someone was dumb enough to approve it.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I don't understand why I have to wait 3 hours to watch the exciting new video:
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:01 am I don't understand why I have to wait 3 hours to watch the exciting new video:

image.png
We need to do a live stream of us watching it and critiquing it ala Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'll get the popcorn.
image.png
Jason
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:01 am I don't understand why I have to wait 3 hours to watch the exciting new video:

image.png
Marketing trick to build anticipation. I see it's working... :lol:
jcapriotti

image.png
You didn't miss anything, just mostly useless chatter and showing features that Desktop already has, or the competition does.
  1. Super feature: Where you can switch between Extrude and Cut in the same command. Well Inventor does this....I think for a long time now. DesktopWorks can switch an Extrude to Cut using the Instant 3D drag so the capability is there it's just not available in the Extrude UI.
  2. Extrude without sketch......hmm...pretty sure NX does this.
  3. Drag sketch fillet. It's just the "Power Trim" drag repurposed.
They could put this in Desktop if they really wanted to.....and its more likely to get used. Disappointing as usual and mostly wasted video filled with talking and rather dumb comic interlude with the characters, aren't comics supposed to be funny and/or exciting?
Jason
Damo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Damo »

mike miller wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:07 am The X hype was just raised by another magnitude. https://super.solidworks.com/ Truly cringe-worthy. And those are the people you trust to store your CAD data?

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I scrolled to the end of the page and saw.........yes really.....coloring book samples. <()> Pinch me guys, am I dreaming?
I gotta say. I was rather impressed by this.. And I wished that this was an option available when my boys were in school.
But wait. Sarcasm aside, this really isn't marketed at Primary/Elemantary school aged junior new designers, is it..?!!
I really did look around for the option to try this "Cool Student version".
I am confused. This really is an actual marketing tool for seasoned and mature designers and engineers..!?!! Yes?
I do know a couple of younger blokes in their twenties who are Manga fans... But this is not that either..?!!
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:50 am We need to do a live stream of us watching it and critiquing it ala Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'll get the popcorn.

image.png
omg... my eyes!
Attachments
tumblr_nmiux26iFl1tli6m0o4_500.gif
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 amomg... my eyes!
well then, 12yr olds are now running SW Corp.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:49 pm You didn't miss anything, just mostly useless chatter and showing features that Desktop already has, or the competition does.
  1. Super feature: Where you can switch between Extrude and Cut in the same command. Well Inventor does this....I think for a long time now. DesktopWorks can switch an Extrude to Cut using the Instant 3D drag so the capability is there it's just not available in the Extrude UI.
NX gives you multiple options in the extrude command.
image.png
image.png (49.72 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:45 am NX gives you multiple options in the extrude command.

image.png
I know....if it wasn't so damn expensive. o[
Jason
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 pm What's with the fascination of naming products "X" something? Is it because X is underused in words? Obsession with the X-Men comics? X-rated movie aficionados?

Dassaults xApps (xDesign, xShape, xGenerative Design) Lowercase x
SolidWorks (DimXpert, DraftXpert, FeatureXpert, FilletXpert, MateXpert, SketchXpert) Uppercase X <()>
XPLM (PLM Integration company)
Solid Edge (Xcelerator Share)
Bluebeam eXtreme edition (Ok not just x but they capitalize it)

Is this just xtreme marketing xperts that like to make xceptions to the rules to try and further xploit their customers by appearing to be xtra hip?
Blame your math teachers!
I found this interesting...but I still think we (the human race) had a lot more knowledge in the ancient times than is credited.

"...Arabic - which was the principal language of sciences during the Islamic civilization - is "shei" which was translated into Greek as xei, and shortened to x, and is considered by some to be the reason for using x. It is also noteworthy that "xenos" is the Greek word for unknown, stranger, guest, or foreigner, and that might explain the reasons Europeans used the letter x to denote the "unknown” in algebraic equations."
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:29 am I know....if it wasn't so damn expensive. o[
Stop it..just go with a subscription! Then you get to move your "expenses" around in the accounting books. :D