User can see partial list of files in Explorer

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
RMcHugh
Answers: 1

User can see partial list of files in Explorer

Unread post by RMcHugh »

New to PDM admin, bear with me, please.
There's a user here who can't see all the files in any Solidworks project folder.
One assembly is shown, no other assemblies, no drawings, no parts, in a folder of 400+ files.
The preview/data card/etc are populated for this one file.
This user is view-only, for accounting/costing purposes, part of a Group with similar responsibilities, no other reports of missing file lists.
There are no filters set, PDM is set to work on-line, IT has uninstalled/reinstalled PDM.

Has anyone seen something like this before?
I'm working in parallel with our IT department who is handling the VAR contact for help.

Thanks for looking,
Ray
by AlexB » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:58 am
It sounds like a permissions issue with the user/group that is unable to see the file. There are a few places that this needs to be set.

First, for the user or group, they need to have their "Read File Contents" enabled for the folder. Also, if the user needs to see files that are in a non-issued state (without PDM Revsision) check the "Show Working Versions of Files" permission.
image.png
Second, they need to have their "Read File Contents" enabled for the file state(s) they need to see.
image.png
This may also be helpful regarding what the user sees when specific options are checked.
https://www.goengineer.com/blog/control ... dworks-pdm
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: User can see partial list of files in Explorer

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Permissions for files are handled in two ways primarily, folder access and state.

Sounds like the user has access to the folder since they can see one file, do they have read contents and show working versions for the state the files are in?
Jason
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

It sounds like a permissions issue with the user/group that is unable to see the file. There are a few places that this needs to be set.

First, for the user or group, they need to have their "Read File Contents" enabled for the folder. Also, if the user needs to see files that are in a non-issued state (without PDM Revsision) check the "Show Working Versions of Files" permission.
image.png
Second, they need to have their "Read File Contents" enabled for the file state(s) they need to see.
image.png
This may also be helpful regarding what the user sees when specific options are checked.
https://www.goengineer.com/blog/control ... dworks-pdm
RMcHugh

Unread post by RMcHugh »

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason.

And Alex, thank you, I had the below typed out before you responded.

I'm looking at the state permissions now. There were no checks on the Read File Contents in any Workflow State.
The file that was shown is in "Work in Progress" state just like 95% of the other files in the folder.
The folder and sub-folders in question do have Read File Contents checked.
I'll be comparing her permissions to other users and all the workflow/permission permutations this morning.

It would make sense to me that her membership in a Group would grant the permissions of that Group.
Is this not how it works?
Our PDM guru left 2 weeks ago without replacement and I'm not due to take training until mid-July.

Thanks again,

Ray
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

RMcHugh wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 am
It would make sense to me that her membership in a Group would grant the permissions of that Group.
Is this not how it works?
Our PDM guru left 2 weeks ago without replacement and I'm not due to take training until mid-July.

Thanks again,

Ray
Yes, users inherit the permissions of the groups that they are in. If any of the groups they are members of have a permission, the user will have that permission too. There isn't a way to revoke a permission via a group though so it gets a bit difficult to follow with multiple groups.

Inheritance shows with the small "people" icon to the far right of the user's permission settings screen. If that's present, a group is granting the user that permission.

So, in this image, the user does have read permissions
image.png
Edit: I should say to be careful making changes to the vault. Typically if groups are being used, a user won't have any check marks for any permissions in their user profile. They will all be inherited unless there are special circumstances for that user.
RMcHugh

Unread post by RMcHugh »

Thanks for the help, Alex and Jason.
It was part of the folder and state permissions.
I'm going to have to review that Group's permissions or those user's memberships to make this happen by default.

Glad you guys saw this and got me the right info!

Have a great weekend,

Ray