Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:23 pm I'm supposed to be leaving for a one week fishing trip on sunday, but we just got a phone call that the road leading to where we were going up north was washed up because of rain, so our trip just got cancelled... We'll figure something out to still leave for another trip somewhere, it's just, very very last minute...

What a pain though, I'm eagerly waiting the week off to let go and relax.
Get on Airbnb and see what's available.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:23 pm I'm supposed to be leaving for a one week fishing trip on sunday, but we just got a phone call that the road leading to where we were going up north was washed up because of rain, so our trip just got cancelled... We'll figure something out to still leave for another trip somewhere, it's just, very very last minute...

What a pain though, I'm eagerly waiting the week off to let go and relax.
That's a shame. Find something else relaxing to do instead.

By the way, I find variations in commonly used phrases interesting. Here we'd say the road was washed out, not washed up.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:43 pm That's a shame. Find something else relaxing to do instead.

By the way, I find variations in commonly used phrases interesting. Here we'd say the road was washed out, not washed up.
Yeah, I think that's me doing a mistake in terms because of my Frenchness :lol:

We might have found something. Nothing truely beats going up North where there's no network, phone, cable and barely any eletricity.

Just imagine this.

You drive 8 hours of highway to then do about an hour of trail to arrive at a location for pickup.
A huge pontoon comes to pick you up with all your things and brings you a few miles down the reservoir to your shack.
You have your own shack that's located on a Lake, with no near neighbors to annoy you, in the middle of the forest. You can take a 5 minute walk to the main camp if you truely need some WIFI for specific reasons.
No network, no TV, no cellphone, just people relaxing together with a beer on the porch, or fishing/boating while enjoying the weather.
Spend a week over there without worries, relax while enjoying the peacefulness.
Possibility to do bonfires during night time, but most of the time people end up sleeping to prepare for the next day, and also because it is in the middle of nature and therefor there are animals such as bears that roam around.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

@AlexLachance I was going to suggest going around the obstruction via a detour, until you clarified it well. My family used to own an island cabin in Ontario which sounds about exactly parallel to what you describe. They kept adding improvements to it over the years, though. Time spent there was priceless. I believe it'd be very difficult to find an equivalent substitution.

@mattpeneguy You can take my avatar as a suggestion if you like, as I have dull days and thick skin. Experience how it identifies the quality of your character immediately to those with less tolerance.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:49 pm Yeah, I think that's me doing a mistake in terms because of my Frenchness :lol:

We might have found something. Nothing truely beats going up North where there's no network, phone, cable and barely any eletricity.

Just imagine this.

You drive 8 hours of highway to then do about an hour of trail to arrive at a location for pickup.
A huge pontoon comes to pick you up with all your things and brings you a few miles down the reservoir to your shack.
You have your own shack that's located on a Lake, with no near neighbors to annoy you, in the middle of the forest. You can take a 5 minute walk to the main camp if you truely need some WIFI for specific reasons.
No network, no TV, no cellphone, just people relaxing together with a beer on the porch, or fishing/boating while enjoying the weather.
Spend a week over there without worries, relax while enjoying the peacefulness.
Possibility to do bonfires during night time, but most of the time people end up sleeping to prepare for the next day, and also because it is in the middle of nature and therefor there are animals such as bears that roam around.
That sounds just about perfect.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:28 pm @AlexLachance I was going to suggest going around the obstruction via a detour, until you clarified it well. My family used to own an island cabin in Ontario which sounds about exactly parallel to what you describe. They kept adding improvements to it over the years, though. Time spent there was priceless. I believe it'd be very difficult to find an equivalent substitution.
We unfortunately can't. The guy had to cancel 3 weeks of reservation and could end up cancelling more if the road isn't back in 3 weeks. Heck, he told us he's stuck over there until the road's back and he's not even sure he has enough food to last 3 weeks, so he might have to start fishing/hunting/trapping to eat until the road's back up.
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

Today is my final day at current company.
We are moving to another city as well.
I am leaving after almost 5 years.
I am out of this job too. We(wife and me) will work for some kind of translation department.

I will try to stay on the forum , because i dont like to stop to learn, and to be honest , you guys are so great , helpfull , smart and kind, although i dont know will i have enough time to "visit you".

As i said before , for many years i lurked old forum , little bit before it died i made account to try to help others as well.
I always was impressed how @Glenn Schroeder knows everything about SW settings , for sure best "all arounder" ever, and has a great feel for sarcasm @gupta9665 and his contribution , macros and everything else , @AlexLachance who is from my opinion always a guy who is pushing forward , thinking out of the box and searching for better ideas, @DanPihlaja who has awesome workflow and i have stolen many of his ideas :D . @zxys001 Paul Salvadore i hope that i did not replaced you with someone - your surfacing stuff is magical , @bnemec who almost made me to switch to SE , and if i get back to my "original" type of job , i will , for sure! , @matt who started this forum (which i value and appriciate SO MUCH) guy for who its easy to be jealues because what he achieved with "CAD life" , @mattpeneguy great troll :D i learned a lot from you, @Ömür Tokman who is great and funny guy and i feel him because we are both learning English :D
I could probably go and mention almost each guy from forum , but i will stop here , my message is already too long.

I decided to write this as some kind of appriciation for all of you.

I wish everyone all the best, and i hope we will stay in touch!!
Best regards ,
Dario
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Thank you for your thoughts @Lapuo, we wish you best of luck for your future endeavor :)
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Glenn Schroeder

Lapuo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:32 am Today is my final day at current company.
I am out of this job too. We(wife and me) will work for some kind of translation department.

I will try to stay on the forum , because i dont like to stop to learn, and to be honest , you guys are so great , helpfull , smart and kind, although i dont know will i have enough time to "visit you".

As i said before , for many years i lurked old forum , little bit before it died i made account to try to help others as well.
I always was impressed how @Glenn Schroeder knows everything about SW settings , for sure best "all arounder" ever, and has a great feel for sarcasm @gupta9665 and his contribution , macros and everything else , @AlexLachance who is from my opinion always a guy who is pushing forward , thinking out of the box and searching for better ideas, @DanPihlaja who has awesome workflow and i have stolen many of his ideas :D . @zxys001 Paul Salvadore i hope that i did not replaced you with someone - your surfacing stuff is magical , @bnemec who almost made me to switch to SE , and if i get back to my "original" type of job , i will , for sure! , @matt who started this forum (which i value and appriciate SO MUCH) guy for who its easy to be jealues because what he achieved with "CAD life" , @mattpeneguy great troll :D i learned a lot from you, @Ömür Tokman who is great and funny guy and i feel him because we are both learning English :D
I could probably go and mention almost each guy from forum , but i will stop here , my message is already too long.

Best regards ,
Dario
Good luck from me also, and thank you for the kind words (though I think you gave me too much credit).

Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

@Ömür Tokman who is great and funny guy and i feel him because we are both learning English :D
Best regards ,
Dario
Thank you for your kind words.
To be frank, this forum has made me addicted. Even though I can't come regularly, I can't give up even if I'm not very active. I learned a lot from the elders on this forum.

But I still haven't found anyone who wants to take me to America. (Can also be Canada) o[
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Ömür Tokman

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:20 am (though I think you gave me too much credit).
I think you deserve more for your unrequited help over the years.
I've been unhappy since my uncle Tony Tieuli left, can I call you uncle?
please.jpg
please.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Glenn Schroeder

Ömür Tokman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 am I think you deserve more for your unrequited help over the years.
I've been unhappy since my uncle Tony Tieuli left, can I call you uncle?
please.jpg
Sure. I could use another nephew.

Ömür Tokman

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:24 am Sure. I could use another nephew.
Thank you so so much....
><
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Best regards ,
Dario

Thank you!! We all have to move on at some point. Good luck and hope you and your family do great!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance

Best regards ,
Dario
Thanks for the kind words mate, I'm truely touched. Wish you the best with the transition, hopefully it goes as smooth as can be. Perhaps you could grab a licence of one of those cloud versions of a software and be able to stay in touch with your industrial/engineering side! OnShape and SolidEdge both can have free versions as far as I'm aware, so that could be an alternative if you find the time.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Best regards ,
Dario
Good luck and Cheers, Dario! UU
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

On a little road trip over the weekend Johnny Cash's song "One Piece at a Time" came on the radio. Hadn't heard the song in years. This time I couldn't help but liken it to the MO of modern software giants.

Main similarity is the products seem to be as smooth as a Caddy with three headlights and one tail fin.
Glenn Schroeder

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm On a little road trip over the weekend Johnny Cash's song "One Piece at a Time" came on the radio. Hadn't heard the song in years. This time I couldn't help but liken it to the MO of modern software giants.

Main similarity is the products seem to be as smooth as a Caddy with three headlights and one tail fin.
There's a local radio station I like that plays it fairly often, along with a lot of other obscure stuff. It's also the only station I've ever run into that plays Stevie Ray Vaughan and Junior Brown.

Glenn Schroeder

Speaking of that local station, listening to it was the first time I ever heard this Johnny Cash song. How many of you other old folks recognize the voice at the end?

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:35 am Speaking of that local station, listening to it was the first time I ever heard this Johnny Cash song. How many of you other old folks recognize the voice at the end?

I have never heard that song, I'd remember. I was tempted to skip to the end but listened through letting my imagination run. But her voice is unmistakable, and not who I was expecting! LMAO!!!!!!! I'm not gonna tell, just a hint. $1.98
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Good hint. It confirms my guess also.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:38 pm I have never heard that song, I'd remember. I was tempted to skip to the end but listened through letting my imagination run. But her voice is unmistakable, and not who I was expecting! LMAO!!!!!!! I'm not gonna tell, just a hint. $1.98
According to an anonymous blog that I just read, the voice at the end was Donna Fargo.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 pm According to an anonymous blog that I just read, the voice at the end was Donna Fargo.
It thought it sounded like Minnie Pearl.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

DennisD wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:30 pm It thought it sounded like Minnie Pearl.

Hee Haw! I believe you are right.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
Glenn Schroeder

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 pm According to an anonymous blog that I just read, the voice at the end was Donna Fargo.
There's a reason it was anonymous. It's wrong.

Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Extracting Triangular 3D Models, Materials, and Lighting From Images
https://nvlabs.github.io/nvdiffrec/
Includes research paper, and app code.

The Metaverse Standards Forum
https://metaverse-standards.org/
AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:14 pm Extracting Triangular 3D Models, Materials, and Lighting From Images
https://nvlabs.github.io/nvdiffrec/
Includes research paper, and app code.

The Metaverse Standards Forum
https://metaverse-standards.org/
That's simply mind-blowing. Technology is so fascinating.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

NASA's Eyes on the Solar System is a interactive real-time 3D Visualization, of what's where now.
All the same, on March 4 a mystery rocket from sources unknown did hit the dark side of the moon. I guess they only track what they do know about.
AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 am NASA's Eyes on the Solar System is a interactive real-time 3D Visualization, of what's where now.
All the same, on March 4 a mystery rocket from sources unknown did hit the dark side of the moon. I guess they only track what they do know about.
Thanks for the share Tom, space fascinates me.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Tom G wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 am NASA's Eyes on the Solar System is a interactive real-time 3D Visualization, of what's where now.
That visualizer is cool. I stumbled upon it a little while back looking for practical WebGL testers. I lost a couple of hours.

How do they know about the mystery rocket?
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:59 pm That visualizer is cool. I stumbled upon it a little while back looking for practical WebGL testers. I lost a couple of hours.

How do they know about the mystery rocket?
Pictures to prove it.

A rocket body impacted the Moon on March 4, 2022, creating a double crater.

see also
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/scie ... ocket.html
and other media sources elsewhere. It's a complicated story, not gonna try to summarize further than I already have.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Stupid question that I wonder about; if a website can write cookies and other crap somewhere on my PC to make their site work better, then why the heck can that site not delete those cookies/files that it wrote when said cookies cause site to not function correctly? Why do I have to clear the files they wrote? Cloud apps seem to be some of the worst offenders of this. It seems they're already in the same rut as desktop apps that need tutorials for "clean" uninstall process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whole heartedly against SaaS. I'm whole heartedly against the BS marketing about how it doesn't suffer from the problems that desktop apps suffer from. By the way, the website that prompted my stupid question post has nothing to do with DSS. It's some project management/collaboration SaaS that we're using.
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 am Stupid question that I wonder about; if a website can write cookies and other crap somewhere on my PC to make their site work better, then why the heck can that site not delete those cookies/files that it wrote when said cookies cause site to not function correctly? Why do I have to clear the files they wrote? Cloud apps seem to be some of the worst offenders of this. It seems they're already in the same rut as desktop apps that need tutorials for "clean" uninstall process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whole heartedly against SaaS. I'm whole heartedly against the BS marketing about how it doesn't suffer from the problems that desktop apps suffer from. By the way, the website that prompted my stupid question post has nothing to do with DSS. It's some project management/collaboration SaaS that we're using.

They can be allowed to send you stuff, but they aren't allowed to manipulate what you have on your computer.

In a simple way to view it:
You've downloaded content from their website, you didn't allow them to edit/delete files on your computer.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm sure the web app developers have reasons for leaving them on there. In this day and age, information is money, and those cookies contain information. I don't know or understand the specifics of how they monetize it, but they do.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 am I'm sure the web app developers have reasons for leaving them on there. In this day and age, information is money, and those cookies contain information. I don't know or understand the specifics of how they monetize it, but they do.
Website cookies are for advertising purposes mostly. The more info about what type of websites you've visited, the better targetted they can have their advertisement. Of course, some websites use them for more then advertising. For instance, Facebook uses cookies to know what group, event, etc... that could be of interest to you. Amazon uses it in order to offer you more appropriate deals or search choices.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

bnemec wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:01 am why the heck can that site not delete those cookies/files that it wrote when said cookies cause site to not function correctly?
Usually it's not the cookies causing problem. It's cache. The site can write to cookies but can't do anything with cache.
User can set browser to delete cookies and cache on exit.

Usually it's a update problem.
Website has some update. There cache on routing servers. They may not get updated in time. When user access the site, they get combination of what's in their cache, routing cache from different route server.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:38 pm Usually it's not the cookies causing problem. It's cache. The site can write to cookies but can't do anything with cache.
User can set browser to delete cookies and cache on exit.

Usually it's a update problem.
Website has some update. There cache on routing servers. They may not get updated in time. When user access the site, they get combination of what's in their cache, routing cache from different route server.
So it's like our vault, everyone has some mixture of wrong file versions in local cache. Makes sense now.

Except the cache is bits of code and settings that together make the web site/app function or disfunction?
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

I didn't want to clutter up the VAR discussion thread with stories of "I've been so busy," so I'll do it here . . .

Let's just say that I've been running around like a 3-legged cat trying to bury poop on a frozen pond.

Really, really, really busy at work, and there are a TON of home projects that are close to being done.

Anyone that has kids should know about the "If you give a mouse a cookie" or "If you give a moose a muffin" books . . . That is how it has been!
We started by talking about getting a new couch & loveseat for the living room -
What will we do with the old couches?
The old couches can go downstairs.
What about the even older couches that are already downstairs?
Let's find someone that has kids going to college!
Before we move the couches downstairs, we should really look at replacing the carpet.
Before we replace the carpet, we should paint, because we won't care if it gets on the old carpet.
Before we paint, we need to patch some drywall & fix the holes from the wall plate anchors. (Put in a while back to reinforce the basement walls)
Since we don't have enough irons in the fire already, let's look at putting in a large garden where we tore down the old shed!

We should be in the home stretch now, a little bit of touch up, still need to paint/hang some doors, get the office set up again, and so on.
I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
todd
AlexLachance

Tahhhd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:18 am I didn't want to clutter up the VAR discussion thread with stories of "I've been so busy," so I'll do it here . . .

Let's just say that I've been running around like a 3-legged cat trying to bury poop on a frozen pond.

Really, really, really busy at work, and there are a TON of home projects that are close to being done.

Anyone that has kids should know about the "If you give a mouse a cookie" or "If you give a moose a muffin" books . . . That is how it has been!
We started by talking about getting a new couch & loveseat for the living room -
Before we move the couches downstairs, we should really look at replacing the carpet.
Before we replace the carpet, we should paint, because we won't care if it gets on the old carpet.
Before we paint, we need to patch some drywall & fix the holes from the wall plate anchors. (Put in a while back to reinforce the basement walls)
Since we don't have enough irons in the fire already, let's look at putting in a large garden where we tore down the old shed!

We should be in the home stretch now, a little bit of touch up, still need to paint/hang some doors, get the office set up again, and so on.
todd
Glad to hear you're doing well buddy. Having many home projects isn't necessarly a bad thing, as long as you don't see it as chores and don't let it burden your personal life.

Besides, once it's done, it will all be as you desire it to be, so that will be quite the pleasure, you'll then get to think about "Why did I not think of that back when we did this" :lol:
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Tahhhd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:18 am I didn't want to clutter up the VAR discussion thread with stories of "I've been so busy," so I'll do it here . . .

todd
That's what Patrick McManus calls sequences...
You get to the 5th step in the sequence and you give up out of despair and go fishing! Much less work and stress that way!

P.S. I highly recommend Patrick McManus' books. I have yet to find someone that can beat his humor!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 am That's what Patrick McManus calls sequences...
You get to the 5th step in the sequence and you give up out of despair and go fishing! Much less work and stress that way!

P.S. I highly recommend Patrick McManus' books. I have yet to find someone that can beat his humor!
HUGE Thanks for the recommendation!
I had never heard of him, but I just looked him up on Amazon, and now I want to grab a book or two!
Glenn Schroeder

todd
We bought an old house in 1989, stripped it down to the studs, put in all new plumbing, wiring, sheetrock, etc, with me doing a lot of the work. We remodeled the kitchen and both bathrooms and painted everything else in 2019, but I did a lot less (just some of the painting).

I told my wife that the next time (if there is a next time) we're hiring someone else to do ALL of it. I'm done.

Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:29 am We bought an old house in 1989, stripped it down to the studs, put in all new plumbing, wiring, sheetrock, etc, with me doing a lot of the work. We remodeled the kitchen and both bathrooms and painted everything else in 2019, but I did a lot less (just some of the painting).

I told my wife that the next time (if there is a next time) we're hiring someone else to do ALL of it. I'm done.
We've both been saying that lately as we make groaning sounds moving from one place to another.
We were very smart and let someone handle bringing in the rock and landscaping the back yard (which is happening right now!)
Moving several tons of rock from the driveway to the backyard did not sound the least bit appealing to either of us!
todd
mattpeneguy

Tahhhd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 pm We've both been saying that lately as we make groaning sounds moving from one place to another.
We were very smart and let someone handle bringing in the rock and landscaping the back yard (which is happening right now!)
Moving several tons of rock from the driveway to the backyard did not sound the least bit appealing to either of us!
todd
You didn't want to use one of these with one of your bikes?:
image.png
image.png (66.61 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

If you love Highway Star as much as I do, and you enjoy listening and watching Drums, this one may entertain you for 5 minutes.
I really liked 2:55 ~ 310 and the ending.

Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

How To See Webb’s First Images

The public release of Webb’s first images and spectra is tomorrow. #UnfoldTheUniverse

It's a space telescope, new and shiny.

Edit: They released a list. We'll see Carina Nebula, WASP-96 b (spectrum), Southern Ring Nebula, Stephan's Quintet, & SMACS 0723.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Tahhhd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 pm Moving several tons of rock from the driveway to the backyard did not sound the least bit appealing to either of us!
todd
Indeed.
First you move them from a pile to the cart. Then go to casher.
Move them on you car. Move them off the car. Move them to where you want them.
Before you pass out, you've moved a few 1000 lb.
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:19 pm Indeed.
First you move them from a pile to the cart. Then go to casher.
Move them on you car. Move them off the car. Move them to where you want them.
Before you pass out, you've moved a few 1000 lb.
I was going to be "totally lazy" and have them dump the rock in our driveway.
It would still be a drag wheelbarrowing 7 tons of rock into the back yard!
t
AlexLachance

Good morning everyone, I just had a wonderful call that I've been waiting for! I finally have an appointment to see a neurologist, and it'll be in less then a month too! I'm so freakin' happy, I have a hard time holding in the tears of joy
mattpeneguy

That's good news Alex. Good luck!