Solid Edge 2023 - A Small Taste of What's New...

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
KennyG
Answers: 7

Solid Edge 2023 - A Small Taste of What's New...

Unread post by KennyG »

During the Siemens Realize Live events, the Solid Edge Team lead by Dan Staples introduced a very small teaser of What's New in Solid Edge 2023. Haven't seen anyone post about it on the web except for the following Polish site, so you may have to use your web browser's "translate" feature to read it (link below). It's not much, but what is there is interesting...

https://www.cadblog.pl/index.php/2022/0 ... juz-wiemy/
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Solid Edge 2023 - A Small Taste of What's New...

Unread post by bnemec »

Interesting. Sounds like more ST. After reading that I'm a bit less regretful that we moved away from SE; we feared that ST would continue to get most of the development leaving ordered modeling on the back burner.
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:41 am Interesting. Sounds like more ST. After reading that I'm a bit less regretful that we moved away from SE; we feared that ST would continue to get most of the development leaving ordered modeling on the back burner.
Actually not the case at all... Those 2 modelling features they shared were Ordered enhancements that are simply using some feature aspects of Sync that are better than what was previously implemented in Ordered.

If you were in any way familiar with the Move/Rotate Face commands in Ordered, you would know they are used for direct face editing but lacked any intelligence and used an older and sometimes cumbersome method to define the move. Now the move is intelligent using the Sync "Design Intent" and gives you better definition and control of the move with the "Steering Wheel".

Regions are just a sketching option that allows defining a closed areas defined by sketch geometry to create extrusions or other features from, so now you can specify areas created by overlapping elements if needed instead of having to create a closed connected sketch of that area first, and then extruding it. It is simply a more efficient way of defining a shape to extrude in Ordered.

Since what was shared for SE 2023 at Realize was a very small segment of the total enhancements in SE 2023, you should check out the SE 2022 What's New for a good idea of where SE is heading... and the emphasis is definitely not all about Sync!

https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... /xid667374
mike miller

Unread post by mike miller »

KennyG wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 am Actually not the case at all... Those 2 modelling features they shared were Ordered enhancements that are simply using some feature aspects of Sync that are better than what was previously implemented in Ordered.

If you were in any way familiar with the Move/Rotate Face commands in Ordered, you would know they are used for direct face editing but lacked any intelligence and used an older and sometimes cumbersome method to define the move. Now the move is intelligent using the Sync "Design Intent" and gives you better definition and control of the move with the "Steering Wheel".

Regions are just a sketching option that allows defining a closed areas defined by sketch geometry to create extrusions or other features from, so now you can specify areas created by overlapping elements if needed instead of having to create a closed connected sketch of that area first, and then extruding it. It is simply a more efficient way of defining a shape to extrude in Ordered.

Since what was shared for SE 2023 at Realize was a very small segment of the total enhancements in SE 2023, you should check out the SE 2022 What's New for a good idea of where SE is heading... and the emphasis is definitely not all about Sync!

I see your 2022 What's New and raise you the 2023 Beta What's New! [mod: confidential document link removed] This is probably preliminary and might not be complete.

I'm almost certain this page is not supposed to be visible to a plebeian like me. :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

KennyG wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 am Actually not the case at all... Those 2 modelling features they shared were Ordered enhancements that are simply using some feature aspects of Sync that are better than what was previously implemented in Ordered.

Yep, you're hitting the nail directly on the head. We found the "Design Intent" menu to be just the opposite, as it is what we called in-the-moment design intent. We could not find how it would >store< design intent for the feature, we could not find how to make the design intent persistent for that feature for the life of that file; it was different the next time the feature (not speaking of feature in tree, rather a feature on the part) was edited. Maybe a bunch has changed and I'm no longer relevant; hopefully that's the case.

The wheel, nope. It is the opposite of what we do. Free modeling is little use to our needs, we need the discrete control vast majority of the time.

SW has regions. At first, we thought they would be nice, handy, faster. Turns out they stink. I'd take back SE 2019's sketch-feature behavior over the SW regions and sketching behavior in a heartbeat. Hopefully for SE users, SE didn't try to copy SW region behavior.

It sounds like our use case is just not aligned with where most CAD users want to go, so we're an outlaying data point I guess. Or we're just doing it wrong.

Edit: I see your point, there is some good non-ST improvements.
- The Sub-D stuff looks like nice improvements, good to see this.
- Possibly the showing base planes only at start of command sounds nice.
- If the vertical command bar layout has actually been reformatted to fit in a tall skinny bar instead of what it used to be that would be a nice improvement. I tried using vertical bar in the past so it could be docked instead of playing Where's Waldo with the floating command bar, but the layout was not worth the change.
- The auto complete for command search tool looks awesome.