Complicated Parting Line Draft

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

Complicated Parting Line Draft

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

Have this complex parting line I'm trying to draft.

None of the "Draft" features will work, including Parting Line draft. The split line may be too complex to get any useful results.

Can anybody lend some insights how one could draft these parts?

Would also like it to be a "Hold Line Draft" if possible. Can be a variable draft angle, as long as it's 3° or more.
Attachments
Complex Parting Line (3).png
Complex Parting Line (2).png
Complex Parting Line (1).png
by HerrTick » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am
Instead of drafting after-the fact, build the draft into the part earlier. A draft is nothing more than a slanted sweep. Or maybe you can draft individual faces and build the transition manually.

All that matters is that the part has draft, NOT whether you used the "right" feature to make draft.

Maybe rethink your parting line. at least get rid of sharp corners.
Go to full post
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Complicated Parting Line Draft

Unread post by zwei »

Could you share the solidworks file/step file?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

You can't use step draft and avoid weird geometry at the same time. If you want to draft from the stepped parting line and not get the weird geometry, you have to use a loft feature and accept "variable draft". Solidworks doesn't have a setting called "hold line" except in fillets.

There is an option called "Step Draft", which creates a mismatch at the PL. The example on the left is the one you want to avoid. To keep the top and bottom clean, you have to create this ledge at the PL, which SW calls "Step Draft". It's more difficult to set up, but the results are cleaner if you can deal with the mismatch. Also attached is the plastic features chapter from my last SW Bible book. The Step Draft is explained starting on page 1083.
image.png
image.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Attachments
c38_KDproof-mjl.pdf
(3.66 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

Instead of drafting after-the fact, build the draft into the part earlier. A draft is nothing more than a slanted sweep. Or maybe you can draft individual faces and build the transition manually.

All that matters is that the part has draft, NOT whether you used the "right" feature to make draft.

Maybe rethink your parting line. at least get rid of sharp corners.
Cbecks Design

Thanks everyone. I've realized the Draft feature is not the right tool here.
I've also simplified the parting line. There was just too much disparity there to get a good surface it seemed.

Using surfacing instead now.
I just did a normal draft on the bottom surface, and will loft from that parting line result up to the top surface.
Attachments
Complex Parting Line (7).png
Complex Parting Line (8).png
Cbecks Design

matt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am Also attached is the plastic features chapter from my last SW Bible book. The Step Draft is explained starting on page 1083.
Thanks Matt!
matt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am You can't use step draft and avoid weird geometry at the same time. If you want to draft from the stepped parting line and not get the weird geometry, you have to use a loft feature and accept "variable draft". Solidworks doesn't have a setting called "hold line" except in fillets.

There is an option called "Step Draft", which creates a mismatch at the PL. The example on the left is the one you want to avoid. To keep the top and bottom clean, you have to create this ledge at the PL, which SW calls "Step Draft". It's more difficult to set up, but the results are cleaner if you can deal with the mismatch.
Thanks again. I'm switching to the surfacing method.

It's tricky because if I try the hold line with surfacing I still get some wavy surfaces.
Cbecks Design

matt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am To keep the top and bottom clean, you have to create this ledge at the PL, which SW calls "Step Draft". It's more difficult to set up, but the results are cleaner if you can deal with the mismatch.
Hi Matt (and any others). That mismatch is what my parts have now but I would never use that.

It seems I can only have nice straight side wall surfaces and a mismatched parting line OR have a matched parting line but the surfaces are all wrinkled up and not usable.
Attachments
Complex Parting Line (10).png
Complex Parting Line (11).png