Onshape User Group Meeting September 15th

Discuss Onshape with other users
bryan5
Answers: 0

Onshape User Group Meeting September 15th

Unread post by bryan5 »

Come one! Come all! to the next Virtual Onshape User Group meeting on September 15th 5PM CDT/ 6PM EDT

We have David Bazinet, Senior TSE at Onshape, that will present and take a deeper look at some of the recent updates and additions to features that enhance Onshape's surfacing capabilities, Selective Branching and Merging and the latest extended capability of Onshape in PCB Studio Beta.

Register now and we look forward to seeing you there. Don't forget to invite a friend!

As always all that attend will be placed into a drawing for an Onshape themed door prize giveaway!

https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-n ... fessional2
bryan5

Re: Onshape User Group Meeting September 15th

Unread post by bryan5 »

There is still time to register:

All who attend will be eligible for a door prize giveaway. This meeting we will be giving away a bottle opener made of stainless steel, wood accent, brass rivets and magnets on the back. @AlexLachance want to try for this one?

Come one! Come all! Invite a friend!

https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-n ... fessional2
front.jpg
O-back.jpg
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I might make it, I might not. I like to have a beer with the crew after the day ends on Thursday.

So, if it's one beer, I'll make it, if it's more, better luck next time :P

Edit: Awesome gift BTW, makes me want to keep it to one beer haha
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Why is the Onshape user group giving away a UG bottle opener?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

Onshape is not giving away anything.

This is my user group meeting and I create a door prize giveaway to give to those who attend as a thank you for joining. I typically create an item with an Onshape theme (since we talk Onshape) designed in Onshape. All the giveaways are on my dime. I even ship it on my dime as well.

The user group meetings are run by Onshape users not Onshape.

Would love to see you there @SPerman
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I am definitely investigating other CAD solutions, but any option I consider has to leave me in control of my data. (Which means it lives on my servers.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

If you are ever curious join us. It is open to all.

I had a meeting 2 years ago on the security of Onshape servers and had John Rousseau, who oversees this at Onshape, go in depth on it. I was thinking of having a meeting on this topic again since it has been 2 years. Would you be interested in joining one of these meetings?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

No. any option I consider has to leave me in control of my data. (Which means it lives on my servers.)
-
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

bryan5 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:41 am If you are ever curious join us. It is open to all.

I had a meeting 2 years ago on the security of Onshape servers and had John Rousseau, who oversees this at Onshape, go in depth on it. I was thinking of having a meeting on this topic again since it has been 2 years. Would you be interested in joining one of these meetings?
Bryan,

It is more a question of privacy and personal data then 'security'. Plenty of company do not want to go the way of the cloud for those two reasons. Then, there are those who have restrictions such as military projects who do not want this stuff all over the internet, even if it's as 'secure' as the most secure person on earth could guarantee it to be, nobody wants that stuff to be at risk of being 'stolen'. Best way to avoid that, is to scrap Cloud all together.

The line is thin, but it's a very important distinction.
RMcHugh
Answers: 1

Unread post by RMcHugh »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:04 am Bryan,

It is more a question of privacy and personal data then 'security'. Plenty of company do not want to go the way of the cloud for those two reasons. Then, there are those who have restrictions such as military projects who do not want this stuff all over the internet, even if it's as 'secure' as the most secure person on earth could guarantee it to be, nobody wants that stuff to be at risk of being 'stolen'. Best way to avoid that, is to scrap Cloud all together.

The line is thin, but it's a very important distinction.
I had this same discussion with an Onshape rep 5-6 years ago. The projects I was working on were military, and the concerns of the customer did not allow cloud-only storage. I'm out of that development, now, but the concern remains.

My current position, in a different company, deals with global competitors. The product is not national-security oriented but the concern remains: local control, period.
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

I hear you guys. That's why I don't push it.

Discussions like this gives me information to bring up topics like this at future meetings.

Meeting is open to all if you choose to join.