Ordinate dimensions on a detail view

TTevolve
Answers: 3

Ordinate dimensions on a detail view

Unread post by TTevolve »

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a detail view to blow up a area and place ordinate dims on it where the origin for the ordinate is not in the detail view (or referenced to the parent view)?

I have to do a bunch of sheet metal panels that are very large and each corner of the panel has different cut outs and I would like to show a blown-up detail for each corner, but in the detail view the front edge is not shown so you can't set that as the origin for the ordinate dimension.
image.png
Attachments
image.png
by JSculley » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:35 pm
AlexLachance wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:29 pm If you want to keep both, you'll have to do some sort of manual work-around with notes that are linked to your dimension in the drawing. Make sure these update when needed.
No manual workaround is needed. You can simply increase the size of the detail circle (temporarily) to include the entire model so that you can add a new ordinate dimension set on the detail view. Once you have it detailed, you can then shrink the detail circle again, and hide the '0' dimension which still shows up outside the detail circle border.
Go to full post
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Ordinate dimensions on a detail view

Unread post by AlexLachance »

You can..? Just right click on the 0, "Add dimensions to coordinate" and then continue the dimensions on the detailed view..? You just can't repeat the dimension if you've previously dimentionned it in the regular view rather then the detail view.

Click on the image to view animation GIF
ordinate.gif
AlexLachance

If you want to keep both, you'll have to do some sort of manual work-around with notes that are linked to your dimension in the drawing. Make sure these update when needed.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:29 pm If you want to keep both, you'll have to do some sort of manual work-around with notes that are linked to your dimension in the drawing. Make sure these update when needed.
No manual workaround is needed. You can simply increase the size of the detail circle (temporarily) to include the entire model so that you can add a new ordinate dimension set on the detail view. Once you have it detailed, you can then shrink the detail circle again, and hide the '0' dimension which still shows up outside the detail circle border.
AlexLachance

JSculley wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:35 pm No manual workaround is needed. You can simply increase the size of the detail circle (temporarily) to include the entire model so that you can add a new ordinate dimension set on the detail view. Once you have it detailed, you can then shrink the detail circle again, and hide the '0' dimension which still shows up outside the detail circle border.
Thanks for that idea JSculley, I hadn't thought of that! Will most likely use this method instead in the future when I need to "double" the dimensions.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be some way to do it. I can't believe I never had to do it before now.