Incorporating some Sub-D/Freeform modeling into my current SW workflow.

Talk about your favorite subD and mesh tools
Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Incorporating some Sub-D/Freeform modeling into my current SW workflow.

Unread post by Arthur NY »

This is from an initial post from Linkedin asking about when/how/why to use and incorporate SubD modeling.

Hello Chris...
There's SubD and then there's "SubD".... :)

Some initial questions:

- What kind of designs will you be working on?

- Will you be giving them the 3D files once it's completed? (i.e. Is a neutral file suffice or will they need a Solidworks native file? If so are you both on the same version?)

Some initial thoughts:

Much of this will boil down to how much "new" UI/UX you want to learn. In general most of the CAD software companies have only just begun to implement SuBD modeling so in terms of maturity vs more of the VFX/DCC type softwares they're way behind. That said, what you've listed is a nice list from the CAD side of things and there are some Pros/Cons of each so will try to summarize.

Rhino ($995)? Great modeling tools, very compatible with files created in it that transfer pretty much 1:1 into Solidworks. The SubD modeling tools in Rhino are very well integrated into the overall software so it doesn't feel like it was just tacked on just for kicks. Between the native modeling tools it's possible to work in both modeling types to achieve some great results.

MOI ($295)? This is a great software if looking to get a mesh file type converted to a BREP but does not have native SubD modeling yet. It's also very slow in terms of overall development but still a great software to know about and keep an eye on.

Blender ($0)? Definitely there's A LOT to learn when it comes to Blender. Takes quite a bit to really customize it to your liking. Also it's VERY much hotkey/short cut key driven. But it is free with a lot of tutorials to learn how things work

Onshape/Phi This goes back to some of my initial questions about overall process/workflow and the deliverables needed.

NPower ($1,995)? It is by far the best SubD modeling tool for Solidworks for a whole host of reasons. Anything made with the SubD tools are always editable and will update to any features built upon it in Solidworks. Where as other solutions you'll have to first convert the geometry from a mesh to BREP first then import it as just dumb geometry. MOI, Rhino, have the ability to help with the data conversion as well. Overall there's nothing that works better with the overall Solidworks features like tangencies/curvature to existing geometry that's been made in Solidworks.

Fusion (Already have)? This goes back to some of my initial questions about overall process/workflow and the deliverables needed.

Some alternative VFX/DCC softwares to take a look at

Modo (Subscribe $689/yr*)
Cinema 4D (59.91/mo)
Maya/3DMax ($1,620 per/yr)
zBrush (29.91/mo or 895.00)

Most, if not all, of these softwares have trial versions. But no matter which way you go, outside of nPower's Power Surfacing, there will be an initial learning curve for their UI/UX as well as the overall methodologies necessary to understand what it means to SubD model. It's quite a different approach than modeling with more CAD tools/features.

Hope this at least helps to get things started.