PDM, Is there a better place to Destroy the Deleted files? Sort by file type?

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM, Is there a better place to Destroy the Deleted files? Sort by file type?

Unread post by bnemec »

The Vault Properties dialog window is fine for General and Permissions maybe, but the Deleted Items tab needs more room but the window size is locked. :(
I have not set up to automatically destroy deleted files, there's been too many times I needed to go back and see what had happened, when by whom. But it would be very nice to sort by file type so I can clear out all the sim results that people let go into the vault as well as step files and other junk like that. I don't know how to add the "file type" column to the Deleted Items view in the Vault Properties window. Is there a better place to do this from?

Thanks.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM, Is there a better place to Destroy the Deleted files? Sort by file type?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

They could certainly improve it. The only suggestion I can think of is to restore the files..... Move them into a delete sub folder to sort on them there.

Fyi, Shift delete bypasses the recycle bin and destroys the files. Not sure if you can make use of that in some way.
Jason
bnemec

Re: PDM, Is there a better place to Destroy the Deleted files? Sort by file type?

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:50 pm They could certainly improve it. The only suggestion I can think of is to restore the files..... Move them into a delete sub folder to sort on them there.

Fyi, Shift delete bypasses the recycle bin and destroys the files. Not sure if you can make use of that in some way.
I assume that's from vault view UI? Hopefully it's regulated by user/group permissions?
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:42 am I assume that's from vault view UI? Hopefully it's regulated by user/group permissions?
Indeed it is controlled by the Admin and very likely only allowed to be performed by the Admin (assuming they've set it up as such)
image.png
jcapriotti

Its standard Windows function for bypassing the recycle bin.....in the vault you must have Destroy permission though.
Jason
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

There is an enhancement SPR for adding the ability to sort the Deleted Items. SPR 1099065
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Diaval wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am There is an enhancement SPR for adding the ability to sort the Deleted Items. SPR 1099065
That would be so nice to have right now.

I think I figured out why the archive server filled up "all of a sudden" Someone must have run some automated PDF creator tool and it dumped them in the vault along side the slddrw files. The they realized what it did and deleted them. <()> I realized to sort by date is about the cleanest way to find them.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I don't understand all that goes on in the back ground, but I have learned to see a little. It seems that all these deleted files are still in the documents table just have the deleted field set to 1. If I could add that to a search, deleted = 1, and have ability to destroy from there, that would be awesome, all the columns I need are right there.

I cannot think of a need for any other interface, just use what's already there?
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:00 pm I don't understand all that goes on in the back ground, but I have learned to see a little. It seems that all these deleted files are still in the documents table just have the deleted field set to 1. If I could add that to a search, deleted = 1, and have ability to destroy from there, that would be awesome, all the columns I need are right there.

I cannot think of a need for any other interface, just use what's already there?
Searching deleted files would be nice and seems like an easy enhancement. Delete just toggles that flag in the Documents table, Destroy removes the record from the table. There are other tables affected so you can't just toggle the deleted state or remove the record without consequences.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:43 pm Searching deleted files would be nice and seems like an easy enhancement. Delete just toggles that flag in the Documents table, Destroy removes the record from the table. There are other tables affected so you can't just toggle the deleted state or remove the record without consequences.
Yes, the tables are strictly read only for me. I created a separate SQL security account for when I query the DB directly in code. That user is can only perform select statements.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Diaval wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am There is an enhancement SPR for adding the ability to sort the Deleted Items. SPR 1099065
Just voted for that ER with note explaining why adding function to the PDM Search Tool would be great. Hopefully someone at PDM dev will see it and consider. Even if it's not possible, a reply explaining that would be nice.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

bnemec wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:00 pm I don't understand all that goes on in the back ground, but I have learned to see a little. It seems that all these deleted files are still in the documents table just have the deleted field set to 1. If I could add that to a search, deleted = 1, and have ability to destroy from there, that would be awesome, all the columns I need are right there.

The report generator can help you out as well. Here's a report that lists all deleted files, sorted by file extension.

Code: Select all

@[ListDeleted]
§Name [All deleted files sorted by file type]

§Company [CADForum]

§Description
[This query will list all deleted files, sorted by file extension.]

§Version [1.1]

§Arguments
[
]

§Sql
[
select Docs.Filename as 'File Name',Projects.Path as Location,Hist.Time as 'Deleted On',Hist.ProjectID,Users.FullName as 'Deleted By',
lower(right(Docs.FileName, charindex('.', reverse(Docs.Filename) + '.') - 1)) as 'File Type'
from dbo.Documents as Docs 
inner join dbo.HistoryDelete as Hist on docs.DocumentID = Hist.DocumentID
inner join dbo.Users as Users on Hist.UserID = Users.UserID
inner join dbo.Projects as Projects on Hist.ProjectID = Projects.ProjectID
where Docs.Deleted = 1 order by 'File Type'
]
Gives you something like this:
image.png
The report generator occupies the space between plain vanilla EPDM search and remoting in to the server and using SQL Management Studio.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:42 pm The report generator can help you out as well. Here's a report that lists all deleted files, sorted by file extension.

Code: Select all

@[ListDeleted]
§Name [All deleted files sorted by file type]

§Company [CADForum]

§Description
[This query will list all deleted files, sorted by file extension.]

§Version [1.1]

§Arguments
[
]

§Sql
[
select Docs.Filename as 'File Name',Projects.Path as Location,Hist.Time as 'Deleted On',Hist.ProjectID,Users.FullName as 'Deleted By',
lower(right(Docs.FileName, charindex('.', reverse(Docs.Filename) + '.') - 1)) as 'File Type'
from dbo.Documents as Docs 
inner join dbo.HistoryDelete as Hist on docs.DocumentID = Hist.DocumentID
inner join dbo.Users as Users on Hist.UserID = Users.UserID
inner join dbo.Projects as Projects on Hist.ProjectID = Projects.ProjectID
where Docs.Deleted = 1 order by 'File Type'
]
Gives you something like this:

image.png

The report generator occupies the space between plain vanilla EPDM search and remoting in to the server and using SQL Management Studio.
Agreed that is a great tool that I do not use often enough. I still need to order them in the tiny properties dialog view to be able to destroy them.
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

bnemec wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:40 pm Just voted for that ER with note explaining why adding function to the PDM Search Tool would be great. Hopefully someone at PDM dev will see it and consider. Even if it's not possible, a reply explaining that would be nice.
SPR 915332 :)
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation