traffic report

Look here for announcements.
matt
Answers: 18

traffic report

Unread post by matt »

From time to time I report site traffic. Technical work related sites have an annual rhythm that's connected to the academic calendar. We see a lull in the summer time, and a dip around Christmas/New Year. We also have a microcycle on the weekly basis.

The upper line represents a running total for the last 30 days. It bounces because of the weekly cycle and there isn't an even number of weeks in a month. The middle line is the weekly running total. The bottom shows how the daily totals affect the weekly cycle (each small hump is a cycle of 7 daily totals). We don't have hourly stats, but they would show the same thing. Most traffic starts at about 6 am (east coast US) and falls off rapidly after 5 pm.
image.png
The second chart shows where most of the traffic comes from. I've been accused in the past of running a "US centric" board. Well, yes, it's true. I don't know if this is a chicken-or-the-egg situation, but most of the traffic is from US, and by a wide margin. We are happy to have anyone who wants to participate. I can install language packs that translate the interface for members. I have I think German and French installed. Let me know if you'd like another one.
image.png
Most new users get here through google search, and the SWYMp makes the top6 list of referrers
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: traffic report

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:09 pm
Most new users get here through google search, and the SWYMp makes the top6 list of referrers

image.png
I'd like to think I'm partially responsible for that.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

is duckduckgo more popular in certain areas? I've never really went to any other search engine then google since it's existance. I've used bing a few times out of curiosity or just circumstance but duckduckgo is one I've never heard used but see pop up often from "traffic trackers"
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

So, is that French for "SWYMp.com"? The others present with a bit less obfuscation.
image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 pm is duckduckgo more popular in certain areas? I've never really went to any other search engine then google since it's existance. I've used bing a few times out of curiosity or just circumstance but duckduckgo is one I've never heard used but see pop up often from "traffic trackers"
I seems to be the go-to for the Google boycotters.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 pm is duckduckgo more popular in certain areas? I've never really went to any other search engine then google since it's existance. I've used bing a few times out of curiosity or just circumstance but duckduckgo is one I've never heard used but see pop up often from "traffic trackers"
The revolt against tracking is on, and duckduckgo is the place to go for that.
bnemec wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:05 pm So, is that French for "SWYMp.com"? The others present with a bit less obfuscation.
image.png
It's amazing what corporate types can do to a url if they put their minds to it. You will NOT find that site by accident, and they don't want you to find it via google, and no friend of yours is going to send you there on purpose. I can't imagine that this tactic has done much for their traffic. But as long as the vision is intact, I guess that's what matters.