commercial licensing

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
eWZ
Answers: 0

commercial licensing

Unread post by eWZ »

Hello,
I have a question regarding licensing.
I am using a test version of a subscription based CAD software.
If i now want to sell my models, i would have to upgrade to a commercial license.
Is this still the case if my model is exported as a .step, .stl or some other interface?
The model could have been created by any CAD software even a free one, like blender which allows for commercial use.
Thanks for your answers in advance
KennyG
Answers: 7

Re: commercial licensing

Unread post by KennyG »

I guess it would depend on the license agreement you acknowledged when you downloaded the software, but generally the act of creating the geometry is what is licensed and thus any output from it whether it be STEP, STL, etc. Some software companies pursue license violations very vigorously and others do not.

Also, most generic outputs such as STEP and STL are written out of the CAD system with the originating CAD system info encoded in the file, so you can still see what system wrote the STEP and STL files.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I am sure the software license agreement covers the use of the software, not saving files in a specific format.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

They can't say anything about the exported STEP, STL, IGES, etc formats you distribute.

This is one reason I would steer clear of subscription cloud software (not sure we're talking cloud here). What if my customer wants native file formats with features. Maybe they have the same cloud software but stop paying and you lose that feature data. I wonder if you can download for free still?
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I decided to pull a specific example, instead of talking in vague terms.

This is from the Solid Edge Community edition:
image.png
It says nothing about how you distribute your models, it only says it isn't intended for commercial purposes. (I'm not a lawyer, but my layman's definition is if you are charging for your work, it is commercial.)

However, the EULA seems to be for the purchased version of the software and makes no mentions of any exclusions regarding the community edition. (Maybe the CE has a different EULA, but I haven't found it.)

At this point, I'm not sure what is legally binding. However, at least in Siemens case, they make it clear how they intend for the software to be used, even if they don't have their t's crossed and i's dotted to make it legal.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I found this in the "Supplemental Terms" for Academic Edition. (Does that apply to the Community Edition?)
image.png
-
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

SPerman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:59 pm I found this in the "Supplemental Terms" for Academic Edition. (Does that apply to the Community Edition?)

image.png
The Solid Edge Academic edition is not the same as the Student or Community editions as it is a "paid" license that Universities must buy (or be granted) and is covered by a maintenance agreement. That agreement would therefore only apply to it.

The Siemens Community edition isn't covered in the embedded EULA. It is really only in the form you acknowledge before downloading, and basically you can't use it in any way if you indent to make a profit from the output, whether it is directly providing SE files to a client, output generic files to a client, or manufactured goods designed in SE to a client.

If your intent is to make a profit in any of those ways, look into the Solid Edge for Startups program as it provides a free commercial license for such activities if you meet the criteria.