New topic for the forum

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
ben91069
Answers: 0

New topic for the forum

Unread post by ben91069 »

I am old school so I know how to board draft using pencils and t squares and a drafting board. Perhaps a topic comparing old school drafting so the new kids can see where the old techniques derived the CAD software and examples of how it was done in the old days?
matt
Answers: 18

Re: New topic for the forum

Unread post by matt »

I started at the very tail end of manual drafting, so I did learn it, but thankfully never had to use it professionally. If you can drum up enough interest about that topic, I'll add it to the list, but I'm skeptical that people will engage.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

I had also started with the drafting on the board in late 90's using pencils (my teacher was very particular in using the various pencils and that too from a particular brand) but never had to use in professional life.

Like @matt mentioned, I also doubt as people would be interest in discussing the old school 2d method when most people are using 3d.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

;;
Start a YouTube channel on how to draft with pencil.
How to use different hardness for different darkness.
How to use one hardness for different darkness.
Proper darkness for different line types.
Those wonderful letter templates for people with bad handwriting, like me.
The best eraser.

Show new kids you can draw faster in toilet on tissue then they can on computer **
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm ;;
Start a YouTube channel on how to draft with pencil.
How to use different hardness for different darkness.
How to use one hardness for different darkness.
Proper darkness for different line types.
Those wonderful letter templates for people with bad handwriting, like me.
The best eraser.

Show new kids you can draw faster in toilet on tissue then they can on computer **

Maybe if he did it in the style of Bob Ross.
"Ok, lets put some happy balloons over here. Be neat and aligned, this isn't a painting, it's a work of engineering art."
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:15 am Maybe if he did it in the style of Bob Ross.
"Ok, lets put some happy balloons over here. Be neat and aligned, this isn't a painting, it's a work of engineering art."
Nice idea. Also no live streaming from the toilet. IMO Fred crossed over some line there. ;;
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

Those were some fun times drawing by hand, not. The pencils were aggravating enough with having to keep them sharp, but not sharp enough to tear through the paper. We would have to rotate them in between our fingers while drawing to maintain a uniform point, but what was worse was those god-awful ink drafting pens.

At my first job, being the newbie and as green as freshly cut grass behind the ears, they had me drawing exploded isometric/perspective diagrams of exercise equipment by hand. That was easier said than done with ink pens. Inks pens were theoretically better than pencils, because of how easily it was to create lines with uniform thickness and darkness. What wasn’t so easy was trying to avoid smudges. We had a little pouch or pad (can’t remember what it was called) that we would have to dab on the freshly laid lines to ensure the ink was dry to avoid those nasty smudges, what a pain.

Even more frustrating was having to erase dried ink, especially if that ink had been on that paper for a while. What would typically happen is that I would erase right through the mylar or tracing paper and then have to create patches by taping smaller pieces of paper where paper no longer existed. Working on older existing drawings was an adventure, it would end up looking like some ancient scroll document, with different colored-aged mylar and transparent tape holding the whole thing together. I won’t go into the joy of having to make blueprints with those dreadful-smelling ammonia machines.

I don’t miss those times, but having the ability to adequately sketch something by hand is useful for conveying an idea, particularly if you’re not close to a computer.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Well, lots of comments on hand drafting. Maybe we do need a new topic, if only to complain about how much we hated it. At least until the last of us that remember it retire.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:00 pm Well, lots of comments on hand drafting. Maybe we do need a new topic, if only to complain about how much we hated it. At least until the last of us that remember it retire.
Nostalgia is powerful. I'm surprised no one is complaining that we didn't have these darn SolidWorks drafting issues when we drafting by hand.

20+ years ago after switching to SolidWorks, we had a user complain that our old Catia v4 software didn't have all of these mate errors to deal with. Well duh, Catia v4 didn't have mates.....parts were just placed in space at a coordinate. So yeah, no errors, and nothing updated and took a huge amount of work sometimes to update assemblies. If you even "noticed" the problem.
Jason
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SamSpade wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 pm I won’t go into the joy of having to make blueprints with those dreadful-smelling ammonia machines.
This make the toilet smell great ;;