Shapr3D

Alibre, FreeCAD, Sketchup, ZX, AutoCAD, Microstation,
matt
Answers: 18

Shapr3D

Unread post by matt »

I'm curious if anyone has had any interaction with Shapr3D? Any comments?
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: Shapr3D

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Have been playing a bit, latest update is the pattern tool, so they have a long way to go.
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

@Frank_Oostendorp what would you say is the target audience? 3D print based Makers? Tablet users? Mobile users?
Frank_Oostendorp

matt wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:42 pm @Frank_Oostendorp what would you say is the target audience? 3D print based Makers? Tablet users? Mobile users?
A few users I know, use it for basic parts and assemblies. Most of these users tried SolidWorks, but could not master it. All of them did not take any training or put the time to run through all tutorials. The workflow in Shapr is simple, not many options to choose, so in a few hours you can have results.
Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Unread post by Arthur NY »

It's actually overall all pretty good when it comes to CAD on a mobile platform. They've really built it from the ground up to work on the iPad not just stuck some trimmed back desktop version. While it's not a direct replacement it is a nice on-the-go solution.
Frank_Oostendorp

Just now, one of the Shapr3D users I know, who designed a huge machine with it, is starting production. Now he could use the flat patterns of many sheet metal parts in his machine. Could I please make these with SolidWorks......
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:34 am Just now, one of the Shapr3D users I know, who designed a huge machine with it, is starting production. Now he could use the flat patterns of many sheet metal parts in his machine. Could I please make these with SolidWorks......
What is preventing you..?
Frank_Oostendorp

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:54 am What is preventing you..?
Original designer, who took half a year to get the machine finished in Shapr3D, for creating images only. (Main image to create to customers is always the machine is almost ready. :D )
Can't convince him that making production drawings and all necessary files, including GDT and other small details, like materials, K-factors, etc. could take more than a couple of days. <()>
AlexLachance

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 am Original designer, who took half a year to get the machine finished in Shapr3D, for creating images only. (Main image to create to customers is always the machine is almost ready. :D )
Can't convince him that making production drawings and all necessary files, including GDT and other small details, like materials, K-factors, etc. could take more than a couple of days. <()>
Lol is your designer by any chance a salesman also? :lol:

Maybe you could have him help you so that he realizes the workload he's asking to be done.
Frank_Oostendorp

Correct, he's a true salesman. Small details are not important, as long as the big story looks good. You know, the type that thinks almost right is good enough, every profile is straight and flat, bends are exactly 90°, nobody will notice, ISO standards are crazy, etc.
Me myself, get a bit nervous when I see two bearing houses in sheet metal flanges, connected by 4 bended (bent?) flanges, supporting huge rotating masses, with rigid radial bearings. 🤦‍♂️
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Sounds like a job I was doing recently. What the client was hoping would be under £1000 turned into over £10000 when the full realisation of the project was understood.

Though I think the funniest one was when a guy rang up asking for a design of a plastic bottle with not a basic surface shape. Adding to that he wanted certain max dimensions and a specific volume. He expected it could be done for £30!!!!!
AlexLachance

RichGergely wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:58 am Sounds like a job I was doing recently. What the client was hoping would be under £1000 turned into over £10000 when the full realisation of the project was understood.

Though I think the funniest one was when a guy rang up asking for a design of a plastic bottle with not a basic surface shape. Adding to that he wanted certain max dimensions and a specific volume. He expected it could be done for £30!!!!!
Come on Rich! How hard can it be, just put the darned numbers in and let the program generate it!!
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:02 am Come on Rich! How hard can it be, just put the darned numbers in and let the program generate it!!
The bloke got quite irate, he said he maybe could go to £60.

Told him just wasn't interested full stop and wouldn't be sending him a quote, no point getting upset with me when your dream of paying nothing for something comes to a abrupt end. I just hope he ending up paying one of the design houses for the work, boy will that £30 look silly then.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Reminds me of when an external customer wanted our product assembly model to pull into their BIM building model. They didn't understand when I told them it was 15,000 parts and too heavy for their software. And creating a useable outline for their use would take a week. They think we can just push a button and it's done.
Jason