Amateur CAD advice needed

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
tisernia
Answers: 0

Amateur CAD advice needed

Unread post by tisernia »

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of finalizing CAD designs to proceed with prototyping a product of mine through 3D printing. First time around so I want to make sure I am 1) doing this the right way and 2) not getting taken advantage of by a company I've been in contact with. I supplied them with existing STL and STEP files that I've already had made by some freelancers along with a technical drawing with correct dimensions on it. STEP files would need to be separated into 3 separate parts from one assembled model, which they said they would do. Got quoted at ~$2,500 today for them to create "manufacture ready" CAD/STEP files and to separate the assembled STEP files into three separate "parts". Seems a bit high for me. Please give feedback.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Amateur CAD advice needed

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Really hard to tell without seeing the design. Are they just modeling and drawing or are they actually redesigning for manufacturing?
Jason
RichGergely
Answers: 0

Unread post by RichGergely »

Yeah doesn't sound like they are just separating the parts out of a assembly, that would just be in the price for the 3D printing. Basically part of the general overhead they would build into every 3D print they do.

If they are moving parts out from a single file or a assembly and not remodelling stuff for manufacturer it should take a couple of minutes. Maybe Beyonce is doing that part hence the price.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

tisernia wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:56 am STEP files would need to be separated into 3 separate parts from one assembled model
Why you don't give them 3 STEP files with each part?
Why do you "pay" them to do that?
What material are you printing? Metal? PLA? ABS?
Size of the print?
All adding to the price.
If the parts need lots of support, it'll cost more.