How to...perform the split command successfully?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
jmongi
Answers: 0

How to...perform the split command successfully?

Unread post by jmongi »

I have a 3rd party model that I am trying to modify. The majority of it is one surface body. So, I'm trying to split it into multiple bodies so I can move a few things (flywheel to the end of the shaft, not the middle, that kind of thing).

Every time I use the split command (I define a reference plane at my split location) using the plane and selecting the surface body, it only creates one half of the split as a new body. Consume is NOT selected. I can't figure it out. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can upload the model.

At first I thought it was because the original import had some errors. I just finally got them cleaned up but the split still fails to work correctly. Thoughts? (SW 2022 SP 2.0)
Designated Pot-Stirrer
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: How to...perform the split command successfully?

Unread post by zxys001 »

IMHO... although Split works well... I'd suggest doing a Insert Part (of that imported data). Open a New Part and Insert Part, then a Delete Body and select the surfaces you want. You can save and reuse/rename that New part for your other bodies (edit the Delete Body and again, select only what you need from the surfaces needed. All the bodies are in the same/shared Origin from the orginal imported data. You can then drag/drop all the bodies into an SLDASM using the same Origin.
Remember, you can always Lock or Break the links if you need.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey,

I use the split command to split my beam's web into segments.

Pretty much use a sketch with lines that cross the entire body, then select which body to keep in your featuremanager by checking them
image.png
jmongi
Answers: 0

Unread post by jmongi »

The tricky part is that it is just one big 'ol surface body and a bunch of little solid bodies. So, it may be because my model wasn't actually fixed. SW just decided to show it to me that way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting or something. I'm selecting all bodies to keep, it just never has one to select for half of it. Really strange. I'm surprised it just doesn't fail the split entirely.

@zys001 - interesting idea. However, its all one big surface body so the only thing I can delete are individual faces. Quite tedius and time consuming.

I'm slowy going through and deleting all of the self-intersecting faces. Once that's actually fixed, I'll try again.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

jmongi wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:18 pm The tricky part is that it is just one big 'ol surface body and a bunch of little solid bodies. So, it may be because my model wasn't actually fixed. SW just decided to show it to me that way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting or something. I'm selecting all bodies to keep, it just never has one to select for half of it. Really strange. I'm surprised it just doesn't fail the split entirely.

@zys001 - interesting idea. However, its all one big surface body so the only thing I can delete are individual faces. Quite tedius and time consuming.

I'm slowy going through and deleting all of the self-intersecting faces. Once that's actually fixed, I'll try again.
Hi JMongi, for the Delete (Keep/Delete), you only select what you want (Keep) or don't want (Delete) (you don't have to delete each face). After that you can Lock or Break the links if you don't want the history or data it is .
Attachments
2023-04-19 09 54 13.png
2023-04-19 09 54 13.png (13.14 KiB) Viewed 547 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau