Flexible Printed Circuit Geometry

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
DanBovinich
Answers: 1

Flexible Printed Circuit Geometry

Unread post by DanBovinich »

I have a geometry question I can't solve and I can't google. I don't even know what to google or what to search in this forum.

I am making a flexible printed circuit (FPC) to connect current collectors in a battery pack. This FPC has traces on it that go back to a circuit board that senses the voltage of lithium batteries.

We are riveting this circuit to the current collectors. We want the FPC to be longer that a straight line to the rivet holes so that the FPC will bend upwards. This will form a "wave" or "bow" "arch". We want the bow to be a certain height and width. The bow allows tools to go into the module. If the FPC was dead straight the tools wouldn't be able to go in and tighten some screws with out damaging the FPC.

So, Imaging taking a piece of paper, put your two fingers on the paper starting with your fingers parallel and wider than 30mm apart. Now slide your fingers closer together, the paper will bow upwards. Keep moving together, so that an arch/bow/wave forms that is exactly 5mm high. Your finger edge should be 30mm apart. See attached pic.

I am on SW 2021.
The sample part is uploaded.
This part MUST be formed in sheet-metal feature, it MUST flatten. Otherwise it would be hard to manufacture. we need the flattened pattern.

The question is, how, in SolidWorks, or in geometry, would the shape of the bow be formed? Yes, I can just guess, but that's not why I'm here.

Problem, I tried forming a spline, but sheet-metal will not work (at least spline don't work in SW2021). :cry:

If a spline can be formed, I could make it a construction line and then fit radii into it to make the sheet-metal feature work. But I don't know how to know what kind of spline would form?

I have some dimensions that must be kept. See attached drawing. The hatched area on the FPC will have stiffeners in it, so consider them as "fixed geometry". The 30mm & 5mm dims are the important dims.

Also, there will be other arches on this FPC that may have different heights and widths. So, I need to be able to "scale" the geometry.

Thank you for any help you may give me....
Attachments
FPC.SLDPRT
FPC sample
(157.84 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Drawing
Drawing
by Frederick_Law » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm
With k=0.5, flat length is: 2*(d6+d7)+d5
FlexPCB-01.jpg
Set all radius to be the same:
FlexPCB-02.jpg
Go to full post
Thank you,

Dan B.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Flexible Printed Circuit Geometry

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm not a sheet metal guy, but my assumption is that the shape is determined by several factors that you will only determine through real world testing. It could probably be calculated in simulation, but it would require you to know the materials properties.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanBovinich

That's a thought, I wonder if the motion manager or simulation could make a model? Not sure. The material is some kind of plastic.

Thank you,

Dan
Thank you,

Dan B.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

DanBovinich wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:07 pm The question is, how, in SolidWorks, or in geometry, would the shape of the bow be formed? Yes, I can just guess, but that's not why I'm here.
I am a bit rusty on my structural mechanics but maybe a buckling analysis can give you some idea on the deformation/bowing?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

I can share, out of experience, that a FPC that needs to arch within certain tolerances, needs some guide to do this in a reliable way. Either a carrier of plastic inside the arch, or a limit of space on the top of the arch, including a layer of insulation, if needed. If all traces are parallel running across the arch, it might form more predictable, but if damage is done when the arch is not exactly 5mm....
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Do it as a sheet metal base flange. Have to use arcs/lines and use fillets to connect them. It unfolds, probably will need to play with the K factor to get the correct size you want in the flat.
image.png
Here is the sketch I used
image.png
Unfolded
image.png
DanBovinich

That's the way I did it. The question is, what dimensions and shapes to use? The dimensions you used were just a guess? Right?
Thank you,

Dan B.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Have you tried using arc length dimension to fix the arc length?
I'm a gif, click on me :P
I'm a gif, click on me :P
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Shape doesn't really matter.
Flat length is important. Whatever shape it is, flat length stay the same.
Set k to 0.5, sketch the profile so total length: arc and straight equal to flat length.
Extrude model midplane. Or contour flange midplane.
DanBovinich

gupta9665 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:19 am Have you tried using arc length dimension to fix the arc length?

FCB.gif
Deepak, is that you? My old buddy?

That works, but the sheet metal feature will add radius's in the corners. You have to tell it what size R. So, its back to guessing again.... :?
Thank you,

Dan B.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Will the flexible circuit be completely free in the air other than being clamped on both ends? And it’s all assumed to be elastic deformation, right? You’re not pre-forming it with creased bends? And you’re showing it the same width all the way across too. All the shapes I’m seeing so far have small radius bends upward and then a large radius arch downward. Assuming it is symmetric through the thickness, I’m pretty sure there is no reason to think that the upward bends will have a different radius of curvature than the downward bends.
Frederick_Law

With k=0.5, flat length is: 2*(d6+d7)+d5
FlexPCB-01.jpg
FlexPCB-02.jpg
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

DanBovinich wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:54 pm Deepak, is that you? My old buddy?
Yes my old buddy, miss the days we had worked together :)
DanBovinich wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:54 pm That works, but the sheet metal feature will add radius's in the corners. You have to tell it what size R. So, its back to guessing again.... :?
You can keep a small bend radius if that helps.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
DanBovinich

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm With k=0.5, flat length is: 2*(d6+d7)+d5
FlexPCB-01.jpg

FlexPCB-02.jpg
Hi Frederick,

I ended up making it very similar to what you did, except that I don't have any flat lines. I made them all radius' with equal & tangent relations.
Thank you,

Dan B.
Frederick_Law

Flat hole might be easier to assemble.
Could setup equations to drive radius.