Rotating a hole in SE

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Milleii
Answers: 0

Rotating a hole in SE

Unread post by Milleii »

Hello,

Does anyone know whether I can rotate a hole as a structure around an axis, or if there is an easier way of creating the shape in the attached pictures?
I have also attached a screenshot of my progress. I have made the 2 holes which draw out the end positions of the trench/groove, but I can't find a way the connect them.

I am modeling a scooter variator but I got stuck as I can't think of a working solution for the problem. I am fighting with creating the way for the pin around which the moving side of the pulley can slide. This shape is achieved with a drill that is rotated around 2 axis with the axis of the shaft being the center of rotation I believe. If that makes sense. Am I missing a command which would make this for me?

Thank you for your time and effort to help!
Also excuse me for my lack of english technical word knowledge.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
344674386_623423142966658_6011273017961686811_n.jpg
343760547_1403941883793558_4720547287519416024_n.jpg
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Rotating a hole in SE

Unread post by matt »

It's easy in synchronous, isn't it?

You could use a pattern, right? You want to wind up with 2 slots?
Milleii

Unread post by Milleii »

Yes, I want to connect the 2 holes on each side of the cylinder with infinite amount of holes basically.

Could you please help me which steps I need to follow to make the pattern in synchronous?
I learned to model with SE in the "ordered" way and I can't get around in synchronous.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Milleii wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:55 am Yes, I want to connect the 2 holes on each side of the cylinder with infinite amount of holes basically.

Could you please help me which steps I need to follow to make the pattern in synchronous?
I learned to model with SE in the "ordered" way and I can't get around in synchronous.
In Synch, you would just select the faces of the holes you want to pattern/move, then move the steering wheel to the axis of the pattern, and ctrl-drag on the torus and maybe key in an angle value.
Milleii

Unread post by Milleii »

Unfortunately I don't think that can cut the part in between.
I already the have the beginning and ending position of the pattern. Is there a command which connects or guides two shapes/structures into each other and deletes the material between them?

Also thank you again for the help.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Milleii wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 pm Unfortunately I don't think that can cut the part in between.
I already the have the beginning and ending position of the pattern. Is there a command which connects or guides two shapes/structures into each other and deletes the material between them?

Also thank you again for the help.
Now it sounds like you're talking about a loft.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

This is a fun one! Keep a mind to what the face of the slot should be normal too, it's really a CAM slot right?

Have you tried this one?
image.png
Milleii

Unread post by Milleii »

Finally I could do it!

I actually wrapped a sketch of the slot around the cylinder and then used the normal way cutout command to cut it through the wall of the cylinder. Then I used a pattern on the cutout and copied it to the other side of the cylinder. Now I only need to create the oil seals and I'm done.

If only I knew this was called a CAM slot...

Thank you so much for the help guys! :)

(I edited the post with the final assembly model)
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

You can also use Solid Sweep for this where you basically use a solid construction "milling tool" to follow a path to cut the slot.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

KennyG wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:12 am You can also use Solid Sweep for this where you basically use a solid construction "milling tool" to follow a path to cut the slot.
I was making an example of that method when I ran into the feature I shared. I was using spiral curve to make the tool path. But IIRC I had problems getting the angle what I wanted sometimes so I would use some surfaces to make intersect curve that would be the tool path. Many ways to skin this cat in SE. But, back around 2018 we ran into an issue with spiral type features where number of turns less than one turn do not compute as expected.
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi Guys,

Here is a video about steps to solve your challenge:

Solid Sweep cutout is one of the best tool to do this.

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com