Job outlook

List your openings or availability here
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Job outlook

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

One of the things that sort of worries me as I am working towards my degree is availability of jobs.

In the past I knew people who worked hard on degrees that never got the jobs they wanted.

One poor guy I know fell for the ITT Tech scam back in the 00s. Wanted one of these "gaming graphics" degrees. Ended up like 50K (or more) in debt and the only job he was offered was a 9 USD an hour copy shop job at a Fed Ex. The guy ended up working for a deli in a big box grocery because the only experience he had was New Orleans restaurant experience, though later on the Department of Education cancelled his debt.

Fortunately, I did not go the for profit route. I am going to a community college, which is far cheaper but still will sting. However, so far on honor's list.

But still would love reassurance. How has the field treated you? And are the jobs out there? I do get pounded by recruiters since saying I am in school for this, but I realize the existence of ghost jobs.

My area is Louisiana USA.

I know ya'll get this question probably too much, but some insight would be awesome. Thanks!
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Job outlook

Unread post by matt »

You mentioned you were in nursing. If you're worried about stability, nursing is the place to be right now.

CAD drafting seems to have some jobs available, but they're going to require some sort of experience in a particular industry, like sheet metal, electrical, civil, architecture, etc. And most likely, you'll be required to move.
ctsturdiv

Nursing isn't all that.

I was a nursing assistant, not a nurse. Took CNA to see if it was for me, and it isn't.

Started as something to do during off season as I used to be a union banquet waiter at resorts in my younger years. After Katrina, I had to use it as my sole source of money for a bit till I got really burnt out, some of the facilities started going team nursing where the better facilities put LPNs doing CNA work leaving only low paid nursing homes available, and started doing call centers.

Nursing school is like boot camp. They are very selective, and some of the community colleges flunk out up to 80 percent of the people that go there. When I say selective, I mean years long waitlists to get in, can't have anything more than a traffic ticket or not be able to sit for the NCLEX (even expungements!) , and you really can not work during this school because of the workload and clinicals.

And to be frank, if you go to boards like All Nurses, there is no nursing shortage. Only a shortage in people who, to be frank, wipe poo. And outside of specialties, isn't all that much pay. Yes, better than call centers or retail, but general medsurg pays new folks maybe 18-22 an hour in my area with enormous legal liability.

As far as relocating, I am not exactly married to where I am. I'd be open to moving as long as the pay would allow me to live okay and pay medium level rent. I would NOT be okay with moving to a place like SF or parts of TX for 20 USD, but I would in a low cost of living area as 20 USD was top end for a call center (with caveats).

Now, the instructor says everyone gets a job and he gets more requests for resumes that he gets students. And, in my area there are tons of plants, refineries, and engineering firms at least on paper. (Baton Rouge/New Orleans/Cancer Alley area) Also, the CC only passes 3-6 per year in the Drafting program. Principles of Drafting and Intro to CAD, we lost a few. But, colleges do say things :D So, that's the reason I have been asking. Different perspectives.

Thinking going into piping/civil as in spring I have to declare two specializations.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I am pretty sure that....within a 200 mile radius of my house, there isn't a single business that ISN'T looking for help.

Now, whether or not that help is in the form of a degreed engineer, I don't know.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

As @matt indicated, while knowledge of CAD will be helpful, and you might get lucky and get a job with nothing more than that, knowledge of a particular industry would be very helpful. I worked on the construction crew here for eleven years before I started with SW, and that experience has been a tremendous benefit.

As far as just knowing how to use CAD, there's an analogy I like to use: Owning a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.

In any case, good luck with your career. If you're looking in a few years I might be able to help. I plan to retire in 2028, and they'll need to hire someone to take my place. Ideally I'd like to get him or her in here three years before I leave, since it's a specialized industry that you can't learn in two weeks (or months), but I don't know if they'll go for that. I will really pester them about getting someone in here two years before I go.

By the way, below are a couple of videos of what we do here. I do the modeling and drafting for the structures being hit. We have 8 or so engineers here who give me the information needed (or at least some of it) and I do the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjgzlHZmRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YhniFLrIQI&t=31s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXJqEY-sXk&t=26s
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Mech Eng here, not licensed. Not PEng.
Most company don't want to pay. I've seen ads for PEng paying less then what I was getting 10 years ago.

Similar on drafting/design side. Company just want cheap grad.
I did found a few jobs that want quality work.
Get your skills, learn to design different things and show them in resume.
And keep looking for good employer.

Longest job was 5 years.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:21 am . . . Longest job was 5 years.
Before my current job I'd never stayed at one place longer than three years. I'd be working along happy as a pig in slop and someone would come along and offer me something better, so I'd be gone.

I've been here since June 1, 1998. It doesn't look like I'm going to get a better offer this time.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:43 am I've been here since June 1, 1998. It doesn't look like I'm going to get a better offer this time.
Retirement is the better offer.
ctsturdiv

@DanPihlaja

That is very reassuring. With all the student turnover and even the electives at my school being a war to get through at times, that helps. As I mentioned, my half finished LinkedIn and personal email gets spammed by recruiters since I updated saying I was going for the AAS. But, of course, reading threads on Reddit gives you pause about non-jobs and recruiters using "spray and prey" AIs who may not even have ins at a place but want commissions.

@Glenn Schroeder

Those videos are pretty bad arse. Though I can,imagine the materials research that goes into creating a barrier that can withstand that level of force might be a bit beyond an AA in Drafting and Design. Like the SpaceX Starship pad crater level of concrete research (that still failed and kicked up dust clouds for miles). While the drawing for that appears to be a straightforward shape, the materials list and layers of interior materials in those barriers probably requires highly specialized industry knowledge that only applies to those kind of constructions.

@Frederick_Law

That seems to be the meta nowadays for working rat race world, but there's a part of me that thinks even back in the "good old days" it was sort of like that as well, barring high level academia, state or federal employment, or certain high level professions like doctor, lawyer, astronomer, etc. The employers (if they are even still in business 3-4 years down the road) don't seem to have raises that keep up with inflation. But they seem to have the budget for more money to hire in many, many industries. Either that or they count on high turnover to keep down labor costs.

Been really considering getting a job in field while in school as that does worry me a bit, but leery. Back in the 00s, I had an abortive attempt at college, but was kind of sabotaged by the employment situation at the time. Was forced to relocate for another job opportunity. This time, I am fortunate to have a supportive spouse and have grants and loans from being on unemployment for a length of time after being laid off through my state unemployment workforce retraining programs. Supposedly, after next semester, I can get a technical certificate, but instructor says it is worthless unless you are already employed somewhere and just need it to jump departments. Or you "know" people.

Especially worried about working during the last semesters. The community college has a student physical plant paid for by the local refineries I hear you have to spend time at (but may be wrong). I would hate to get a job and have them say, "you have to show up at X time or we fire you... we don't care about school" or have grants cancelled for making too much. Or have to work 50 hours one week short staffed when instructor wants some multiple page, complex 3D drawing with dozens of scales and valves and counterbores everywhere. LOL!
Frederick_Law

First few jobs will be hard.
Start somewhere and keep looking for opportunities. Try different one and see what you like.
Keep updating your resume when you learn new things.
Stay for a year or 2 at the job. Learn as much as you can.

Only the first few jobs asked to see my Degree Cert.
After that they don't care.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

ctsturdiv wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:37 am @DanPihlaja

That is very reassuring. With all the student turnover and even the electives at my school being a war to get through at times, that helps. As I mentioned, my half finished LinkedIn and personal email gets spammed by recruiters since I updated saying I was going for the AAS. But, of course, reading threads on Reddit gives you pause about non-jobs and recruiters using "spray and prey" AIs who may not even have ins at a place but want commissions.

99% of reddit is cynicism, negativity, and heavily liberal-leaning. So I wouldn't put much stock into reddit showing a real example of anywhere....except maybe seatlle and southern california.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law

Recruiter don't read resume anymore.
Found a key word and they'll contact you.

Since I have a bit of everything in my skills: CAD, CNC Punch, programming.
I got offers for: CEO, department head, mill operator, general labour, drafter, engineer, designer, programmer.
Pay from $100000/year to $20/hr.

Of course lots of them I just laugh and never reply.
Should have tried the CEO and work 3 months.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The jobs are out there, but my feeling is that salaries for drafters and mechanical engineers has stagnated some. If my own company is any indicator, it's because there is more outsourcing of engineering and drafting jobs to other countries like Brazil, India, and China where the wages are a lot lower.
Jason
ctsturdiv

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:53 pm The jobs are out there, but my feeling is that salaries for drafters and mechanical engineers has stagnated some. If my own company is any indicator, it's because there is more outsourcing of engineering and drafting jobs to other countries like Brazil, India, and China where the wages are a lot lower.
I think that is in a lot of fields.

One call center I worked in, the CEO threatened if we did not get enough pledges, he'd replace us with this Avatar system they are using in the Philippines. Basically, they have English speaking overseas agents hooked up to an old school soundboard with pre-recorded pitches and answers to every possible question done by a voice actor with an American accent appropriate to the region they are calling. Never did, because he would lose his existing donors as most of our donors were rural, but I digress.

I could see that especially for the simpler stuff in drafting (ie: need a simple bracket) , but a lot of the places around here (Louisiana) seem to want on-site and don't like remote if my casual research is accurate.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

ctsturdiv wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:04 pm
I could see that especially for the simpler stuff in drafting (ie: need a simple bracket) , but a lot of the places around here (Louisiana) seem to want on-site and don't like remote if my casual research is accurate.
Yeah, local smaller companies are still hiring and likely always will. Pay and benefits are less but you usually get to wear many hats which can be nice if you get bored doing the same work over and over. You may even get promoted into a "engineer" without the degree once you learn the products and process. That more or less happened to me in my first job out of school, got to do drafting in Autocad, some machining and prototyping, little bit of mfg engineering, etc. Small company can't afford to hire all those people usually.
Jason
ctsturdiv

jcapriotti wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:09 pm Yeah, local smaller companies are still hiring and likely always will. Pay and benefits are less but you usually get to wear many hats which can be nice if you get bored doing the same work over and over. You may even get promoted into a "engineer" without the degree once you learn the products and process. That more or less happened to me in my first job out of school, got to do drafting in Autocad, some machining and prototyping, little bit of mfg engineering, etc. Small company can't afford to hire all those people usually.
Funny you mention "made into an engineer".

I had a stint at a bread plant for a bit as a production assistant about a decade ago for about 2 years before the rotating 12s in 120 degree heat started getting to me. Down in Louisiana, they called the people the maintained the equipment "engineers", but in reality they were mechanics.

But yeah, ya'll are making feel a bit better. Some of this stuff is pretty darn hard. Even the electives can sneak up on you.

Thanks!