Best viewing program for large assemblies?

Micallen
Answers: 0

Best viewing program for large assemblies?

Unread post by Micallen »

We attempt to use edrawings. But with large assemblies it's terrible. Takes forever to save a project. Sometimes it crashes before finishing. And when it does, often times there are items missing in the edrawing. Sometimes measure works, sometimes it does not.

Is there another product that's good for large assemblies?
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Re: Best viewing program for large assemblies?

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I would say XVL from lattice technologies but it takes quite some money and effort to make it works...

https://www.lattice3d.com/

it is a defacto toyota tool.

they use to scale the LOD of 3d data up to your acceptable error to make realtime lightweight models.
with 3d reporter tool (free reader available) you can embed XVL 3d inside an excel file and link the bom inside the 3D to the excel table so you get highlighted selected items in both 3d and the table.

https://www.lattice3d.com/products/lattice3d-reporter

JT, edrawings or other tessallated data are not able to scale LOD realtime, but have to save fixed LOD models Inside the exported file ar the expense of file size and performance.

or main problem with regard to SW is 2D is too slow and we reached the level it is impossible to work with resolved 2d data when gimmik like detailing mode reach their limits.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

We actually have a SolidWorks licence dedicated specifically for our shop because eDrawings was too much of a pain and we didn't find anything that would do what we required.
Micallen

Unread post by Micallen »

Has anyone tried Glovius? Looks good in demo, but that is always a part or small assembly. $299-$399 / year.

https://www.glovius.com/products/
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Hmm edrawing works pretty well on my end..

Do you know you do not really need to save into edrawing to view the file in edrawing?
Edrawing will read the graphic cache of the solidworks file... basically the file when you last saved.

You dont even need the entire pack and go assembly either...
You can pass someone only the asm file without all the child parts and it should still be able to open in edrawing...
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
GrahamK

Unread post by GrahamK »

Try saving assembly as 3DXML and then use D.S. 3DXML viewer... it's a free download from Dassault site
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

@GrahamK When I use 3DXML viewer, the original y-up view of SolidWorks is changed to z-up orientation, and everything is turned sideways up. How does your 3DXML perform in this?
GrahamK

Unread post by GrahamK »

@Frank_Oostendorp Mine does the same, never really bothered me as it's just a viewer which we can convey the design intent to our colleagues in other parts of the world.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

(it's been years ago but) The one viewer which I really thought was impressive was Kisters -
https://viewer.kisters.de/en/products/3 ... rsion.html
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

3D PDF?
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

I have to add that Autodesk Navisworks is amazing for viewing large assemblies. Coming from edrawings and Solidworks there are some thing to learn. There is a free viewer (Navisworks Freedom), but someone needs the paid Nasvisworks Manage license (a couple thousand a year), to make the files for viewing. Can combine CAD from multiple sources.

The measurement leaves something to be desired. But the viewing, sectioning, hiding tools are there once you learn them.

You can view a whole building with a machine inside it no problem, opens very fast (faster than eDrawings).